1991 Liberty to Legacy RS Conversion (Australia)

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

05-BROCKY-05
In Neutral

1991 Liberty to Legacy RS Conversion (Australia)

Post by 05-BROCKY-05 »

Just found these forums and thought i'd post up some pics and info on my car, this write up is a bit long, but its not a bad story. :-D There are a few pics also, i hope they're sized correctly.

It began life as a Auto, FWD 2.2L NA Bucket. I picked it up from a friend who had it since new. I put an exhaust on it, drove it around for a few months till eventually the gearbox started playing up. I sourced a replacement gearbox, had it fitted and the car was beautiful...........for about two weeks, till the box decided to split open and spill oil all over the road. I was cut, and the car sat in my yard unused for a few months. Then the fun began.

My mechanic had located a 1991 Legacy GT front cut freshly imported from Japan with only 103,000kms on the clock, the price was right, the mechanic was keen to do the work, so i snatched the cut up and away we went.

This car underwent quite a transformation, we already had the loom, dash, ecu, driveline, front suspension, brakes, bumper, cluster, centre console, i mean the cut had it all. All we really had to source was the rear diff cradle and an exhaust. As anyone who has tackled this job knows, its a dash out job, the front end of the car was completely stripped out to fit the pedal assembly, dash and loom.

Now while the engine was between cars we did a full 100k service even though it showed signs of already being done (better to be safe than sorry), we put a 5kg chromoly flywheel in, sourced a 3" turbo back exhaust from japan, and i got a hold of a TD05H turbo to add on.

Once the car was finished, it scared me a little as i had never been in a car that threw you into your seat as much as it did. I drove it around for a while with the stock ECU which sits at 12psi and loved every moment of it, the exhaust was extremely loud and the car still had hubcaps, it was the perfect wolf in sheep's clothing. Eventually though i wanted a bit more power, so i sourced a V2 STI RA Ecu for a bargain and plugged it in, this used much more aggressive fuel mapping than the standard ecu and bumped the boost up to 15psi. Let me tell you, the difference was night and day, the response was incredible, it was an absolute weapon.

That was about 5 years ago!! Since then it has had Bilstein suspension, wrx 16" rims, a few cosmetic mods, huge stereo upgrades, 04 wrx interior, i was doing all i could until one cold night i was having a thrash around my area and during a normally smooth change of gears from 1st to 2nd, 2nd decided to go bang.......then clunk clunk clunk, then i could no longer engage any gear but 4th. It was at this point i thought it time to upgrade to something a bit stronger and sourced a V2 STI 5spd box with 4.44 diff, yummy.

While waiting for the box to arrive, i purchased 4pot wrx calipers for the front, new rotors, pads, and managed to find some 05 STI Spec C seats, i really couldn't afford these, but couldn't let them pass, they were just too sexy.

When i removed the old seats i decided to pull the carpet out and re do my stereo install as i had a few weeks till the box was to be fitted, so i Dynamatted the entire floor from firewall to boot, purchased all stinger cables and re did the lot.

To cut the story short, the car currently has a early wrx engine fitted, the original legacy closed deck block is going to be getting built up. I have also changed to a chipped v2 sti ecu which is tuned at 18psi, i love this stuff. My current mod list is below. Future mods: forged 2.5, STI 6 spd, change rims to black, or maybe newer wider rims, lower the car a bit more, STI Brembo upgrade.

Engine:

EJ20T Early WRX with RS heads
Lightweight flywheel
3" TBE
V2 STi ECU chipped
MBC wound to 18psi
WAIC
Removed resonator piping in guard

Driveline:

V2 STi 5spd gearbox with 4.444 matching diff

Handling:

Tien Super Street coilovers
18" CS9 rims, freshly painted in gold and wrapped in Federal 595 tyres
STi Strut brace

Stopping:

Standard brakes at rear
WRX 4 pots up front

Interior:

WRX rear seats
05/06 STi Spec C front seats
Legacy Dash with electronic climate controls

Stereo:

Pioneer 7" fold out screen
Pioneer D series 6.5" splits up front
Pioneer D Series 6.5" coaxials in rear
Pioneer GMD9500F 4 channel amp
Pioneer PRS2000D 2000wrms @ 1 ohm monoblock amp
2x Pioneer TSW3002D4 12" subs wired to 1 ohm
Soundstream Batt700 700cca battery with upgraded terminals
Big 3 wiring upgrade
Stinger 0ga power cable with stinger distribution blocks
Stinger 0ga ground cable
Stinger HPM series RCA's
Stinger voltage meter up front.
Huge custom enclosure in the boot
Dynamat covering the whole floor, boot floor, sides lid and front doors

Pics:

How she started:

First converted:

Now:

My Daily Driver:

dankberries
Second Gear

Re: 1991 Liberty to Legacy RS Conversion (Australia)

Post by dankberries »

Very nice! I like the two tone and red stripe.
93 impreza rally muffin
93 legacy ss Tarmac Terminator
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
killajamal wrote:Dank is actually German for "silly term which the kids have come up with to describe exceptionally choice marijuana.''
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Very nice rides!!

If you'd like I can move this thread to the build journal and you can add to as you do the 6spd swap and other mods.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
05-BROCKY-05
In Neutral

Post by 05-BROCKY-05 »

That would be great, only after posting i realised it was better suited to the builds section. Thank you.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Moved :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm