Vortech FMU for additional fueling?

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

BoneIslandScooby
First Gear

Vortech FMU for additional fueling?

Post by BoneIslandScooby »

Has anybody ever considered using one of these for additional fueling, absent of changes in engine management? The next question would be which one do you use? ...and then again, at almost $200.00 why bother? Not very cost effective when you can have a RobTune for only a couple of hundred dollars more and have a complete solution?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Vortech FMU for additional fueling?

Post by Legacy777 »

It's just a secondary fuel regulator to increase fuel pressure. If you can get a Robtune for the same money that's going to be a far better solution.

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/page.php?id=30031
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
nortonjefferson
First Gear

Post by nortonjefferson »

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, I was curious if there's any benefit to running an rrfpr with the robtune, I bought one not doing all my research and I've come to realize there aren't any significant fuel issues with a robtune. Although maybe the rrfpr could help fine tune your afrs? But I've searched far and wide and it doesn't seem anyone runs them with the robtune
White 1993 L Wagon AWD 5MT-FXT lift, 27” MTs 380xxx miles
White 1991 L sedan AWD 5MT-(Robtune 550 DOHC Ej22t swap coming together) 187xxx miles
Black 2005 LGT 5MT-Ej20x swapped daily, VF40/elh
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Hi,
Looks like you answered your own question.

If you have an STi/Walbro/DW fuel pump, cleaned/tested injectors, good Premium fuel (92 octane), clean MAF, and tuned up......and NO ISSUES prior to installing the Rob Tune, the tune works well as is.

The tune is on the conservative / Rich side of the AFR, but that's by design and keeps it safe.

Td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
nortonjefferson
First Gear

wtdash wrote:Hi,
Looks like you answered your own question.

If you have an STi/Walbro/DW fuel pump, cleaned/tested injectors, good Premium fuel (92 octane), clean MAF, and tuned up......and NO ISSUES prior to installing the Rob Tune, the tune works well as is.

The tune is on the conservative / Rich side of the AFR, but that's by design and keeps it safe.

Td
Hey thankyou for you input on my last two posts! you seem to be much more informed than i on the robtune topic. i appreciate it a lot, i bought the rrfpr already and looked through all the siginificant robtune threads more in depth AFTER i bought it :roll: so im just trying to find a reason to use it haha looks like i should have done some more thorough research first!
White 1991 L sedan AWD 5MT-(Robtune 550 DOHC Ej22t swap coming together) 187xxx miles
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

There was a user on here that acheived 22/23psi on a RobTune with an adjustable FPR and an SVX MAF. The FPR was allowing him to get that extra bit of fuel and fine tune it all.
the guy who had the really low winestone SS on the corvette wheels
nortonjefferson
First Gear

robertpaige wrote:There was a user on here that acheived 22/23psi on a RobTune with an adjustable FPR and an SVX MAF. The FPR was allowing him to get that extra bit of fuel and fine tune it all.
Wow that makes me feel a little better about my purchase lol, thats great to know the option is there to go past the boost threshold on a robtune. Currently i have an N/A 5mt so im sure at 22psi it would disintegrate but that opens up some options for me in the future. Thanks for that! i know ive seen the SVX MAF utilized for more boost but i obviously overlooked the usage of the FMU aswell (duh)
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

Yeah anything past 10psi will be sure rod failure on a stock EJ22 haha. But you definitely can use the FPR if you have the right build for it.
the guy who had the really low winestone SS on the corvette wheels
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The Robtune already runs rich and a RRFPR will make that worse. My recommendation would be to get the robtune installed and see how things run. If you find yourself running lean the RRFP could be an answer, however I don't like them because they are a bandaid solution that doesn't really allow the best control of the fueling.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

robertpaige wrote:Yeah anything past 10psi will be sure rod failure on a stock EJ22 haha. But you definitely can use the FPR if you have the right build for it.
I disagree.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT