Maciek's 2.36L Turbo Build (and boom goes #4 rod bearing!)

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

dankberries
Second Gear

Re: Maciek's 2.36L Turbo Build (and boom goes #4 rod bearing

Post by dankberries »

That's gotta feel good having both cars back up!

What are you using for oil? Break-in and after?
93 impreza rally muffin
93 legacy ss Tarmac Terminator
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
killajamal wrote:Dank is actually German for "silly term which the kids have come up with to describe exceptionally choice marijuana.''
macipusy
Third Gear

Post by macipusy »

For break in I used a cheap 5W30 for the first 20 min of idle.
Now I'm still using a cheap dino 5W30 with Lucas break in additive....possibly 1000 miles at low load and 5.5K max RPM.
Then I was thinking of running Valvoline conventional 5W30 or 10W30 for a few K miles while turning the power up.
Then maybe the Valvoline semi-synthetic 5W30 or 10W30.

It's just the oil I have had good luck with on the turbo Legacies.

Any recommendations are welcome.

I'm getting 85psi oil pressure with the 5W30...running the 11mm oil pump with 2 shims.
maciek puszynski

01 Impreza | v6 STi RA | 5mt | ej236t
93 Legacy Turbo | TW | 4eat | ej22t
16 WRX | 6mt | fa20
98 Legacy GT | wagon | 5mt | ej25d

2.36L Turbo - RSTi Build
macipusy
Third Gear

Post by macipusy »

I have been starting to develop a strategy for the ej236t rebuild. Doing some initial comparisons between the Phase1 75mm stroke crank and the phase 2 79mm crank, it seems that you could just drop a standard sized position 5 thrust 2.5L crank into the 2.2t block.....as long as the thrust clearance is within spec.

I would only have to get a set of #3 thrust position main bearings in standard size.

Not sure if I should re-ring it after only 8K miles.
maciek puszynski

16 WRX | 6mt | fa20

2.36L Turbo - RSTi Build
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

macipusy wrote:I have been starting to develop a strategy for the ej236t rebuild. Doing some initial comparisons between the Phase1 75mm stroke crank and the phase 2 79mm crank, it seems that you could just drop a standard sized position 5 thrust 2.5L crank into the 2.2t block.....as long as the thrust clearance is within spec.

I would only have to get a set of #3 thrust position main bearings in standard size.

Not sure if I should re-ring it after only 8K miles.
Maciek, please elaborate a little more. That sounds very interesting, but I'm not sure I fallow you entirely...
93 impreza rally muffin
93 legacy ss Tarmac Terminator
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
killajamal wrote:Dank is actually German for "silly term which the kids have come up with to describe exceptionally choice marijuana.''
macipusy
Third Gear

Post by macipusy »

Maciek, please elaborate a little more.
I did some comparisons on main journal diameter sizes between the phase 1 75mm and the phase 2 79mm cranks. The diameters are very close in range as are the thrust clearance requirements.

So, as long as the phase 2 79mm stroke crank was cast with a correct thrust clearance in the #3 position, then I think it should be good to just drop it in a phase 1 block with phase 1 standard sized bearings. This would eliminate any machining required to use the phase 2 crank in phase 1 block.

I'll run an experiment with an extra phase 2 2.5L crank and my ej22t case halves I have laying around.

I am assuming that std, 0.010" over and 0.020" over sized bearings all have the same thrust surface specs. I don't think that surface gets machined. As long as that assumption is correct, then I think I'm on the right pattern of thought.
maciek puszynski

16 WRX | 6mt | fa20

2.36L Turbo - RSTi Build
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

When I researched this many years back it was the surface finish on the crank that was the problem. It was not good enough for a thrust surface. If the crank was machined toto a acceptable surface for the thrust bearing, the clearance would be too great.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
macipusy
Third Gear

Post by macipusy »

When I ran the original ej236t setup last year, after the oil pressure issues and dis assembly of the block, the thrust surface was the only surface not destroyed, and looked brand new. IIRC, when I originally got the crank machined for 0.010" oversized bearings, the thrust surface looked untouched. I did select the tightest thrust fit when searching for a crank shaft candidate for that setup.

I'll try to do some more research on methods of polishing the thrust surface. I'll also inspect the crank from the original setup and see if the surface polished itself during operation.

This is something to keep me busy while both cars are running good....haha.
maciek puszynski

16 WRX | 6mt | fa20

2.36L Turbo - RSTi Build
macipusy
Third Gear

Post by macipusy »

Almost 1000 miles on the newly rebuilt ej257 in the RSTi. Blew up the stock RS radiator. Replaced it with a stock ej22t radiator (the core is twice as thick). Planning on swapping to a WRX/STi style Koyo V-series at some point in time.

Also installed a P1 replica lip on the RSTi....wow what a difference. Will post pics at some point. Looking to install the front and rear aero guards soon and trying to find a JDM smooth rear bumper. Exterior should be all done soon!

Just purchased a full ej205 motor (longblock, exhaust and intake manifolds, turbo....etc) for $450. I am looking to source some STi 550cc top feeds and that will be going into the Turbo wagon.
I will be rebuilding a ej255 or the ej238t shortblock to eventually take place of the 2.slow WRX shortblock. In the meantime I will work out the kinks with switching to coil on plug and new type of IAC with the Haltech.

It is nice to have the cars running top notch....this allows me to concentrate on little annoying things which need work but are not critical.
maciek puszynski

16 WRX | 6mt | fa20

2.36L Turbo - RSTi Build
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Did a little write-up on the coil on plug conversion somewhere around here....
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson