Extremely loud whining/rumble noise while accelerating??

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

marsh27
First Gear

Extremely loud whining/rumble noise while accelerating??

Post by marsh27 »

Hello there

I have a 93 legacy l and I just got the motor back in after doing the seals clutch throw out bearing and a few other little things. When I first started her up it made a whining noise for a few minutes then just went away. When I put the car into gear and accelerate it sounds like an airplane is taking off.

The car drives fine and the noise goes away completely when the clutch is pushed to the floor and is almost completely away while coasting. But whenever I engage the clutch and accelerate its so loud I can't even hear the wrx exhaust..

It sounds like the throw out bearing but I'm not sure why it would be doing this.. Any ideas?
93 fwd beater wagon
93 tw build in progress
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Extremely loud whining/rumble noise while accelerating??

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, I'd say it sounds like a bearing issue or something related to the work you just did. Was the new throw out bearing a Subaru throw out bearing or something you picked up online or at an autoparts store?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
marsh27
First Gear

Re: Extremely loud whining/rumble noise while accelerating??

Post by marsh27 »

I got the clutch kit from rock auto. It came with the sleeve to put over the shaft and a new tob. Ive been busy the past few days so I haven't had a good chance to just look at it but Im wondering if it's possible they just sent a bad tob
93 fwd beater wagon
93 tw build in progress