dankberries 1993 Legacy SS

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

mike-tracy

Re: dankberries 1993 Legacy SS

Post by mike-tracy »

Awesome! If snoop drove an SS, that'd be his color too. ;)
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

Repainting these BBS wheels was a real pain! I wanted gold wheels so I decided to use paint stripper/sanding to remove the factory BBS paint. Seriously STRONG shit! I spent WAY to much time trying to get it all off. Never again will I go that route! I wish I had just gotten them sand/media blasted. Slowly I widdled away at it. Like 8months at it lol. I opted to paint them myself, which I probably wont do again either. I spent a pretty penny on some high quality base coat paint and clear coat with a special hardener to resist chipping and heat. Alternatively I think I would have saved money and had better quality if they where just powdercoated. A company in denver would have blasted and powdercoated them $75 a wheel. I just take alot of pride in doing work myself. Regardless they came out tits.
I actually borrowed a friends factory gold rim and took it in for paint matching. Color is spot on.
These are 17x8 5x114.3. I am using 5x114.3 to 5x100 adapters.

Factory gun metal paint:
wrapped in sumitomo HTR z3 245/40/17
93 impreza rally muffin
93 legacy ss Tarmac Terminator
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
killajamal wrote:Dank is actually German for "silly term which the kids have come up with to describe exceptionally choice marijuana.''
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

Did I mention my legacy is amphibious? lol. Flooding in CO back in june/july.
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
killajamal wrote:Dank is actually German for "silly term which the kids have come up with to describe exceptionally choice marijuana.''
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Nice work on the rims!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

Over the last couple weeks the legacy had been popping out of 5th gear. It started very seldom and got progressively worse. I did a quick online search and found out that it was likely the main shaft locking nut in the transmission coming loose. A rather critical thing to assess as the nut can come all the way off and potentially grenade the transmission.
Im really bummed to find out that this problem is common. Not only that but its through an array of different years and models. Something about Subaru not torquing and/or staking the nut well enough. WTF subaru :-( not cool..

Sure enough the 35mm main shaft locking nut in my transmission was barely on and came off with one 360 degree turn. Im so happy I got to it when I did.

Removal of transfer case:

Main shaft:

Old 35mm locking nut:

New 35mm main shaft locking nut Subaru P/N: 802622020 :

I didnt have a 35mm socket but I did have a 1 3/8in. socket that worked. I had to shave down the outer diameter to get it to fit:

I used lock -tite and torqued it as far as my impact would go. I also steaked the nut better than Subaru did. F.S.M calls for 89ft lbs, I think I got it to 100ft lbs or so.
Removing and re-installing the transfer case by your self and with the transmission still in the car, on the floor, is seriously a pain in the ass. I had a hell of a time getting the shift fork to line back up with the shift rods. Also getting this metal plate(unsure what its called) to stay in its correct position was a night mare. Took me 8hrs to finish this job, kicked my ass.
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Geez what a hassle. Ive never had that issue on any of mine thankfully.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Holy crap, I've never even heard of this problem...
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, I hadn't heard of this either. Glad you caught it before things went south!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

dankberries
Second Gear

Re: dankberries 1993 Legacy SS(PHOTO UPDATE 11/11/15)

Post by dankberries »

Imperial Jade Green mixed with PPG forest green then Gold Metallic Flake added:

93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
TurnNburn
Second Gear

Re: dankberries 1993 Legacy SS (PHOTO UPDATE! 11/11/15)

Post by TurnNburn »

I have never heard of that nut coming loose before but I did have a transmission had that same problem. Wish I had known about it and fixed instead of giving it away for parts...

That color is awesome, I bet it looks stunning in person.

What are you going to do about your door trim/bumpers?
1990 NA 2.2 Open Light rally car
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

TurnNburn wrote:I have never heard of that nut coming loose before but I did have a transmission had that same problem. Wish I had known about it and fixed instead of giving it away for parts...

That color is awesome, I bet it looks stunning in person.

What are you going to do about your door trim/bumpers?
I need to find time to go to the junkyard and grab some better condition trim/bumper pieces. I've decided to paint them green and if I want to change to black I will use plasti-dip.

Thanks for the comments ! I'm really happy with the color.its awesome having a legacy that is truly unique.

Hopefully if anyone else is having the transmission problem they answer it quickly ! $10 nut and some labor is cheaper than getting another transmission that could potentially end up having the same problem.
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
TurnNburn
Second Gear

Post by TurnNburn »

I was at a rally cross this weekend where a 2.5 RS was having the same problem popping out of 5th. And since I have read that post I suggested that was his culprit. I wont know until next weekend when he tears it apart if it was the same problem. If I find out I will put on the board.
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

Sorry to ask, but do you have a regular camera to take pics of the car. It has to be stunning but the pics you have look outdated.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

SILINC3R wrote: do you have a regular camera to take pics of the car. It has to be stunning but the pics you have look outdated.
I don't personally have another camera other than my phone, but I've been meaning to have someone with a camera take some shots.

I was in a rush and anxious to take pictures. I wanted to get the pictures in before the last of the leaves had fallen from the tree's . As you can see I didn't even get my trim done before taking pictures.

Per your request Tony. I will be sure to get some higher quality photo's.
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

TurnNburn wrote:I was at a rally cross this weekend where a 2.5 RS was having the same problem popping out of 5th. And since I have read that post I suggested that was his culprit. I wont know until next weekend when he tears it apart if it was the same problem. If I find out I will put on the board.
Here is a pretty good write up on the problem and fix if you want to share with the 2.5rs:
http://www.scoobymods.com/showthread.ph ... ff1219b2e1&
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
TurnNburn
Second Gear

Post by TurnNburn »

thanks for the link, I will spread the word
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

Made a sweet score at the junkyard this weekend. For the first time in 2 years of searching I finally found a 1994 legacy with the Cold Weather Package!
I took the heated mirrors along with switch, plugs, and pig tails of wires.
Some what bad timing, I just purchased heated mirrors from a member on here in Canada . Cost me $82.69 shipped and it turned out one of the mirrors wasn't even heated . I scored from the junkyard, mirrors, switch, and wiring for $30.
I gained a bit of knowledge on how things are wired. It was nice to see in person how its all configured. I thought I could harvest the whole wirng but I quickly found out it wouldn't be easy as the mirror wiring leads into the dash and bulk harness. Its only two wires to add from each mirror so not really a big deal, pretty straight forward.

I also scored the heated seat elements and switch. I hope I can figure out how to get it all working. Not sure if I can incorporate it into my 02 wrx seat or not. My passenger seat is a factory legacy seat so it should work.
I was not entirely sure but it seemed like a good idea to also grab the fabric used in the seat. My guess is its some special fire safe fabric of some kind. Not sure if its OK to not use it and risk fire danger.

I will have to figure out how to get power to the elements. I got all wiring leading up to the main harness were I had to clip it.

Also grabbed a 5 speed shifter boot/trim piece to replace the A/T one I had. Its grey so I will be painting it black to match the other trim.

In other news, finding a 94 GT with side skirts is about as hard as finding an R34 skyline. Looks like I'm about to pay top dollar for some shipped from California.
I've contacted 4 Japanese parts sellers, two cats from New Zealand, and three cats from Australia. Either they have no interest in finding them or they don't even dare think about the shipping. Tuff shit.
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
Smithcraft
Second Gear

Post by Smithcraft »

It's always nice to see old cars coming in way under the limits on emissions! When I had my last emissions test, it just said whether you pass or fail and doesn't give the data. They did the gas cap test while I was waiting in to pull in to the rollers.

It's good you could get the Cold Weather Package! My drivers seat is giving up the ghost, and doesn't heat(and one of the springs is broken), but passengers tend to enjoy the working heater!

SC
1994 Legacy Mi

2008 Legacy GT SpecB
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

Heated mirrors and switch installed. They work great ! Big thanks to Josh for providing wiring diagrams from the 1994 supplement Manual!

For the switch I depinned the wires from the Non-Heated 12 pin plug and repinned the wires to the new Heated 10 pin plug. Only soldiering needed was for the 4 added new wires for the heating elements.

Also got the heated seats put together. This was my first time ever taking apart a wrx seat. It was some what of a pita.
The day of install my good friend gifted me a passenger wrx seat to match my driver seat, good timing because I was just about to install the heating element into the factory passenger seat.

Some seat pictures, the difficult part, undoing these wire rings that hold in rods going through the seat cover to hold it in place and give form/contour:

Heated element pad for lower section :

I added some cloth I dissected from the doner legacy to the passenger seat for added cushy comfort, this was extra hard to put back together with the seat cover rods :

To install the upper heating element pad I had to undo the seat cover starting from the back to then gain front access:

I used a 12v automotive relay from Radio Shack to mimick the factory configuration. Its installed underneath the center console area close to the switches:

I found this helpful for the use in this project:

The heated seats work amazingly, I'm very happy. I threw my back out during the install and it was very rewarding to have a Therapeutic heat treatment.

The next day, I took some bad with the good. My turbo coolant expansion tank had a nipple break of. This is the third time this has happened to me, three different tanks. The first time I actually went and purchased a new one from Subaru. IIRC it cost $270.
Without any question, I knew it was time to upgrade. I was able to pick up two wrx aluminum expansion tanks for $55. Great deal.
Currently installed at the legacy factory location, later when I have time I will likely mount it differently.

More goodies! Thanks to a Canadian member on here (oldscoobyturbo) for supplying these awesome parts!

HVAC with recirculation and No AC:

Glass Fog Lights w/ switch included:

Non-Saggy visors (going to miss the turbo literature, but no sag is cooler!) :

For the fog lights, I am unable to install them because of the front mount intercooler being in the way. I'm going to attempt, if I have time this weekend, to flip the cooler upsidedown so I can make room for the lights. Less Efficiency but I'm not running a big turbo setup so
It should not be a big deal.

More updates soon!

P.S. Tony - no photo shoots happening soon via winter crappyness(snow/mud/water/road poo) all over the car daily
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Those metal rings are called hog rings and they make special pliers for them :)

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-P7DW-Hog-R ... B00I7PCF3K
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

bcmaxx
First Gear

Post by bcmaxx »

Nice progress! You have a lot of time invested!! Feels good eh! Did you ever find side skirts? We sourced 00to 04 outback skirts. They will need about 2" removed but the fitment is absolutely awesome otherwise. Its what ss flares should have looked like!
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

This last weekend I came across a good deal too good to turn down. Complete 97' ej25d for a 100 bucks. Block, Heads, manifold, sensors, clutch, flywheel, headers, all of it. Even a Diamond coil pack! 150k and ready for a refresh.

I have a problem, and its called "must modify everything". I can't seem to own a vehicle without modifying it.. addictions, addictions..

As you may be able to guess, something is brewing here...

Mostly just after the heads, not sure what to do with this block.

In the months to come, Another dohc ej22t coming to a forum near you..

Smithcraft wrote:It's always nice to see old cars coming in way under the limits on emissions!

SC
- yes, yes it is!
Legacy777 wrote:Those metal rings are called hog rings and they make special pliers for them :)

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-P7DW-Hog-R ... B00I7PCF3K

Daaang! Wish I knew this before! I will remember that for future projects!
bcmaxx wrote:Nice progress! You have a lot of time invested!! Feels good eh! Did you ever find side skirts?
Yes, yes I did! Thanks to a member on here my long awaited search is over! I am now the proud owner of JDM BC/BF side skirts and BC rear lip!

Mmmm JDM HAWTNESS! :

93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

A lot of work for some fog lights. Honestly a very fun progect though, I love custom fabrication. The best kind of car work. Anything that involves welding is a good day of fun.

Flippin' Cooler:

Winter wheels on. White on green ..kinda cool

Evap relocate:

Nicely centered:

Perfect bumper fitment and lots of room for fogs:

Huge thanks to my very close long time friend at MCG for helping me out. Helps me out free, just for the love of seeing my projects come along.

MCG porn:

Beautiful piping and welding work:

Evap canister relocated at fender where the fmic piping used to go through.
Had to cut part of the radiator support where a one inch lip protrudes out, was cause the lower part of the cooler to stick out enough that the bumper would not Mount up nicely. The lip was actually the joining point of two pieces of metal, had to weld those back together, stronger than factory now.
Obviously had to cut below the head light mounting points, just enough clearance that the pipes don't touch anything and the headlights fit back in nicely.
Was able to use all existing piping, did not need to use any new couplers or pipes, recycled what was already there. took out an estimated 3-4ft of piping from the system. Car spools quicker for sure.
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

Awesome stuff in here, that color is awesome, and that sr20 motor shines lol I had an 89 240sx that I kick myself for selling all the time!

how did you get the speedometer to work? isn't the forester speedo a digital signal and the stock cluster a cable?
2004 Impreza 2.5RS Fränkenpreza Daily Driver
1993 Legacy Sport: Sedan Sex Panther-R.I.P. @ the boneyard
1991 Legacy L Wagon: Sex Panther II
2005 Outback XT Turbo grocery-getter Wife's Daily Driver
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

Man I love SR20DET's, they're underated. Most of my buddies have 240's with SR or RB25 engines. Next project for sure. Haha.

I really, really want to run my IC like that. Shorter pipe length and looks a lot cleaner.
the guy who had the really low winestone SS on the corvette wheels