Easy install front mount?

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Mpgingerson
First Gear

Post by Mpgingerson »

Hey! I want to order a FMIC and I've read that GC8 kits are somewhat bolt on, but On my Legacy I don't have foglights installed and I'm not worried about removing the front bumper beam, how easy is the install and can it be done without welding and such?

Ps: I have to have an pod filter to make use of the piping right?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Easy install front mount?

Post by Legacy777 »

Nothing is "bolt on", but I have heard the GC kits may be more easily modified to fit. I don't know if you'll need to do any welding, it's more about cutting to make room for the piping.

I think the pod style filter is the typical type of filter, but I suppose you could try and make the stock airbox work. You'd need almost a 180 deg coupler or pipe to make the routing work; that or adjust the mounting of the airbox.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

I've done 3 FMIC installs. You'll get THIS intercooler kit - http://www.ebay.com/itm/CXRacing-FMIC-I ... Wg&vxp=mtr

All you gotta do it make 1 cut to the coldside piping to turn 1 piece into 2, and add a coupler so it can bend around the oil fill tube. No welding or anything else required. It's pretty easy honestly. I'm at work but i'll dig up some pics of what i'm talking about. If you look thru my 93' ss thread you can also see.
the guy who had the really low winestone SS on the corvette wheels
TurnNburn
Second Gear

Post by TurnNburn »

Thanks for the clarification Robert, iv never read that anywhere on here before. I am not currently trying to do this but if I was I would be stoked.

When I did my old setup, since i had a newer style kit and i knew i had to do some welding/fab anyways I turned my FMIC upside down and ran the tubes behind the head lights. Probably cut 3-4 ft of tubing out of the system. Im not sure it made much of a difference in reality. Theoretically it would have helped. Obviously this was not the easy way to do a FMIC install.

In retrospect I would have much rather done it your way
1990 NA 2.2 Open Light rally car
Pntaste4evr99
Winestone Cowboy

Post by Pntaste4evr99 »

I had to make multiple cuts and re-welds to get mine to "fit". And make the BPV nipple in a diff spot
94 Winestone SS 5MT Rob 550 20g. (Pickle)
Original WA car with 460k miles and climbing
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

I didn't take many engine bay pics but you can kinda see here. This is the night I blew the engine up hahaha. In reality, I would have liked to do what TurnNBurn said is flip the thing upside down and run the tubes behind the lights. Cleaner and less piping as well. But this worked great for me and 20psi. It was not very laggy at all with the 16g either.

PS. Josh sorry idk why the image is so huge
-_-
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/23 ... 36a0e7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mpgingerson
First Gear

Post by Mpgingerson »

robertpaige wrote:I didn't take many engine bay pics but you can kinda see here. This is the night I blew the engine up hahaha. In reality, I would have liked to do what TurnNBurn said is flip the thing upside down and run the tubes behind the lights. Cleaner and less piping as well. But this worked great for me and 20psi. It was not very laggy at all with the 16g either.

PS. Josh sorry idk why the image is so huge
-_-
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/23 ... 36a0e7.jpg

Yeah it looks sweet and pretty easy to build! Thanks. And I love your car man, such an inspiration for me (been following you on Instagram for a while). How many WHP is it at? :O
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

Thanks man! No idea what the 2 liter made, i've read people with similar setups making 280whp, but i'm putting a 2.5 in with a rotated HX35 turbo and plan to be making 400whp. Whats your IG name? Ever have questions feel free to hit me up
Mpgingerson
First Gear

Post by Mpgingerson »

robertpaige wrote:Thanks man! No idea what the 2 liter made, i've read people with similar setups making 280whp, but i'm putting a 2.5 in with a rotated HX35 turbo and plan to be making 400whp. Whats your IG name? Ever have questions feel free to hit me up
Names Mpgingerson there aswell haha.. I asked about a BOV one time :O I'm such a noob with cars haha, but yeah thanks man!
Mpgingerson
First Gear

Post by Mpgingerson »

Looking at the pipes for the GC8 intercooler kits I see one pipe with a round fitting that looks like where a Bypass valve/BOV is going to sit? What is it?
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

Yeah theres a nipple on the underside of the cold side throttle body pipe for a BOV. it's a pain in the ass becuase its damn near touching the clutch master reservoir. For a long time I ran a hose off that nipple and put a BOV on the end of it but then I just had it welded up and my BOV welded onto the TB pipe with a flange.
Mpgingerson
First Gear

Post by Mpgingerson »

robertpaige wrote:Yeah theres a nipple on the underside of the cold side throttle body pipe for a BOV. it's a pain in the ass becuase its damn near touching the clutch master reservoir. For a long time I ran a hose off that nipple and put a BOV on the end of it but then I just had it welded up and my BOV welded onto the TB pipe with a flange.
Yeah I thought so, but I want to keep the stock diverter valve, it will work if I just weld it up and use the one that already sits with the intake right? Can't see why not haha
Pntaste4evr99
Winestone Cowboy

Post by Pntaste4evr99 »

Cut that nipple off, weld the hole up, then rotate about 90• drill a 3/4" hole, weld another nipple on facing the frt of the car and run the BPV hose there.....at least that's what I did. Among "other" modifications.
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

I wouldn't keep the stock valve. get a Turbo XS recirculating valve or something of the like. The outlet is going to be way too small for the stock valve, and I don't even think that valve would work well enough to vent all the air from that big of piping.
Mpgingerson
First Gear

Post by Mpgingerson »

Okay thanks, but do you have a close up picture of your setup? I have one up in the post, but it's pixelated when zoomed haha. It just looks so clean, so your engine bay are my goals, love it.
Pntaste4evr99
Winestone Cowboy

Post by Pntaste4evr99 »

I'm still running the stock valve with a crap tons miles on it, so far so good. But a forge valve probibly would be best
Mpgingerson
First Gear

Post by Mpgingerson »

robertpaige wrote:I wouldn't keep the stock valve. get a Turbo XS recirculating valve or something of the like. The outlet is going to be way too small for the stock valve, and I don't even think that valve would work well enough to vent all the air from that big of piping.

But looking at one of your Instagram videos you said you didn't have a BOV. How do you get that turkey gobble sound then? That's the sound I want, not a BOV sound.
Pntaste4evr99
Winestone Cowboy

Post by Pntaste4evr99 »

Waste gate flutter
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

The turkey gobble sounds, I capped that nipple on the IC piping off. So it was pure compressor surge at the time, I ran no BOV for a long long time and my turbo was still strong as hell. I don't beleive compressor surge on journal bearing turbos are harmful at all. Many of my 240sx friends have bigger turbos and never run BOV's. I eventually got a Greddy BOV welded on to my piping, becuase I wanted to run recirc to see if it would help how much my car ran but it didn't really do much. I really liked the compressor sound haha.
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

-

Mpgingerson
First Gear

Post by Mpgingerson »

That's perfect, thanks man! Have you remade the nipple for the BOV or is does the pipes for the FMIC come in that position?
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

Idk what you're asking haha the nipple would normally be next to the brake booster on the pipe. I welded it shut and welded a new flange on as you can see.
Mpgingerson
First Gear

Post by Mpgingerson »

robertpaige wrote:Idk what you're asking haha the nipple would normally be next to the brake booster on the pipe. I welded it shut and welded a new flange on as you can see.
The weld was so good I couldn't see it, so I thought you didn't weld it shut and made up a new one haha, that's what I meant, but when it comes factory (next to the brake booster), is it too far away from the intake or something, is that why you moved yours?
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

No I just wanted the BOV to be right next to the throttle plate and also visible. If I wanted to run recirc also, the hose would be much shorter from the BOV back to the intake in that location as well haha.