Alex's 1993 Legacy L (PIC HEAVY)

Show us your Legacy pictures and videos.

Moderator: Moderators

mike-tracy

Re: Alex's 1993 Legacy L (PIC HEAVY)

Post by mike-tracy »

Yes, you're heads fit the standard two port Subaru headers. I would avoid the turbo stuff though, because it means more bends in your exhaust for the welder to fabricate, along with no improvement in performance. When you are ready to put a turbo on, just grab stock turbo manifolds. They last a really long time
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Arbiter
First Gear

Post by Arbiter »

Cool! For now I'm just kind of looking for a little bit more of that rumble. A turbo won't be for awhile I think, so I'll find a RS header used or cheap.

Heard about Pro Muffler in Everett, have a friend who went there for his 98 Legacy. One of the best sounding N/A Legacies I've heard... unfortunately the car isn't around anymore. Been trying to get ahold of Pro lately, I'll make another attempt tomorrow via phone.
Pntaste4evr99
Winestone Cowboy

Post by Pntaste4evr99 »

I welded/made everything with my own 2 little hands(I'm too cheap to pay for someone to do it) Weldings the easy part, getting the pipes at the right angles and getting things to "fit" is the PITA part, without having the "right" tools that is.
94 Winestone SS 5MT Rob 550 20g. (Pickle)
Original WA car with 460k miles and climbing
Arbiter
First Gear

Post by Arbiter »

Welding is something I definitely want to learn. Just don't have a welder :) Someday though. $150 for a custom exhaust is fine for me.
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

I forgot I recorded the exhaust on the legacy. I think there's a resonator on it as well.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin ... ost3432898
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
2004 Forester 2.5XT Premium | JBP 18L
Pntaste4evr99
Winestone Cowboy

Post by Pntaste4evr99 »

Race car!
SouperPoo
First Gear

Post by SouperPoo »

Airport welding and muffler is another budget shop with not to long of waits.
Arbiter
First Gear

Post by Arbiter »

Hey guys - still alive but nothing much has happened - having some trouble communicating with the mechanic so no big updates for awhile. Hoping for a response soon. Kind of not wanting to spend more money on this thing when the thing I'm spending money on isn't in the garage.

A few goodies have been accumulating in my room and garage though:
Crap photo because I used my laptop to take it:

On another note...
I started to look into the process on how the hell to fit my Impreza bumper to my Legacy... cuz uniqueness.

Realized that cutting the bumper and fitting it to the fenders will probably not turn out as well as I like, so, like others, I think I've decided to merge the two bumpers together using a combination of plastic adhesives and bondo. Since I'm intending to merge two fricken bumpers together, I figured I might as well screw the plastidip the whole car idea and just sand it down, buy a gun, and repaint it white.

Here's a great article on what I plan on doing: http://www.flawlessfitment.com/2011/11/ ... ether.html

Unfortunately, I'm broke af. So kind of waiting to sell my TV, Laptop, Phone, and other crap to get some of that $$$ to throw at the car haha. Still jobless lol. Plus, still saving up for college... Luckily, where I'm going, college costs less than the car so yeh.
Arbiter
First Gear

Post by Arbiter »

Tiny update:

Car isn't back yet, but it should be done come Saturday! Got a call today.
Big things coming very soon too.
Arbiter
First Gear

Post by Arbiter »

Hey again,

Been awhile without an update... so, here's one of those "bigger" things I've been yapping on about.

They're Stance GR+ from a GC/GF model. Got them for an amazing price... a little tight, as in the collars, I can't move them by hand, so I'll be putting tons of PB Blaster on them for about a week - also need to get the spanner wrenches.

Also picked up some new seats - no tears, but they were dirt cheap... have no idea what they are unfortunately, but I couldn't pass on the price.

As for the car, well.. It's done! And that's really all I can say at the moment. Jeff, afaik is away for personal reasons so It's still stuck at his place, but it's done. As soon as he gets back he said he'll give a call to get it out of the shop... hoping for a call this weekend.
Pntaste4evr99
Winestone Cowboy

Post by Pntaste4evr99 »

I've been looking for a new set of coilovers. But I'm too cheap to spend o lot on the "nice" sets...
Arbiter
First Gear

Post by Arbiter »

Haha yeh! I keep an eye out on the PNW B/S/T on Facebook or the RCS B/S/T… mine certainly aren't new, but every once in awhile, coils less than the price of Racelands for a set of "nice" ones with minimal rusting pops up.
Pntaste4evr99
Winestone Cowboy

Post by Pntaste4evr99 »

I've been rocking my race lands for 4+ years and 50k miles or so, but I do have 2 rears that are blown....
Arbiter
First Gear

Post by Arbiter »

Update:

Jeff's back! Got a call from him this morning. Only bad news is that the Jeff, during movement of the car for pickup, realized that there was a cracked radiator, so new radiator today, and pickup is tomorrow.

Also picked up a new audio system, subs, speakers, an amp, and a head unit... and also got a few other things to start pulling the interior together. Should be getting more cash soon by getting rid of my phone and laptop to finish the interior and start fixing up the exterior, and if my calculations are correct, I should have enough for brakes and swaybars, plus some.
Arbiter
First Gear

Post by Arbiter »

It's back :D

Running smooth as well. Only thing is that I need to clean the engine a bit with the pressure washer, and the injector still has a ground short or something. So I'm gonna be reconnecting everything and try to resolve the issue then - too bad finals are in a few days.
Arbiter
First Gear

Post by Arbiter »

Well, here's a little update on what I was trying to do...

To my amazement, the China head unit booted up but unfortunately would not play CDs. When I pay for a head unit that costs more than my speakers and subwoofers combined, I expect it to work properly...

Currently installing the amp and speakers however.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

What head unit is that? Id love to grab an android based one...
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Arbiter
First Gear

Post by Arbiter »

If only it worked...

It's being returned - if you search for "Android Head Unit" on eBay you'll get results - people usually have good luck with them, I didn't and instead got one which ate two of my CDs and came with a knockoff Microsoft CE OS...

Unfortunately, my speakers don't fit either - the mounting points on the front and rear are both off significantly... so I'm kind of stuck. Probably going to have a shop install them instead, I'm going overseas relatively soon and will be needing a car next year for a job and school and I'm afraid a week prior to the school year starting won't be enough to get what needs to be done, done by myself...
Arbiter
First Gear

Post by Arbiter »

Having a issue with some speakers...

For the front and rears, none of the mounting holes are lining up. Are 6.5" speakers, all around, not supposed to line up perfectly? I guess I assumed these were plug and play... How did you guys install aftermarket speakers in first gen sedans? How did you go about drilling new holes in a 1st gen sedan? I don't exactly have very much room in the back... the front will be a bit easier I think, but even then, I heard it was plug and play...
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

I'll see if i can get some pictures. They never fit back there right.
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

So, apparently the answer is butyl.

A buddy installs windshields for a living and he had me use a bunch of butyl. I will say that they've been in there for years with no problems. So maybe that's the way to go, though maybe it seems tacky? (No pun intended).
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
Pntaste4evr99
Winestone Cowboy

Post by Pntaste4evr99 »

Dumb dumb rules!! It's what our tail lights have on them to seal to the body.
Arbiter
First Gear

Post by Arbiter »

Huh, butyl... By any chance do you know the mil size? I have some sure sound deadening sheets that are butyl based...

So to clarify, there's nothing actually holding it down except for the adhesive butyl, right?
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

Yar, just butyl. You're welcome to come by and take a look if you want. I remember the wood/particle package tray being a pain and having to be trimmed, but yeah, just butyl.
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
Arbiter
First Gear

Post by Arbiter »

Luckily I have a few spare deadening sheets from the deadening process awhile back - yeh, I cut that particle board up pretty good... Didn't want to take apart the rear again...

Thanks for the idea!