One way to get a large heat exchanger...

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

One way to get a large heat exchanger...

Post by DLC »

I had considered this before, but a friend just brought it back to my attention.

This only applies to 5MT owners.

I swapped my 4EAT transmission out early this year, which removed a lot of weight from the front end of the car, and let me remove the transmission filter and hoses. There is, however, one large part that remains: The cooler.

This cooler was used to cool the transmission fluid, so it's meant to flow liquid, and should be easily adaptable for an air/water intercooling setup.

Now the only issue is this, if you have a 5MT, you don't have this, but if you have a 4EAT, it's already in use. 5MT owners could theoretically install the 4EAT radiator into their car and get a very large, very well placed heat exchanger with good airflow.

Just something to think about...

Dave
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The tranny cooler lines run through the stock radiator. It's not a separate radiator/cooler. So I'm not sure if you would get the efficiency that you're looking for.

But it's prob worth a shot :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by JasonGrahn »

if you've already removed your air con, then you could use the air conditioning piece that's already there for your exchanger. :)

-Jason
-Jason Grahn
mile hi
First Gear

Post by mile hi »

I don't think you will get the flow that you want from the trans. cooler they have a built in restriction to stop fluid from being cooled to much during very cold weather. The AC also will not flow very fast because of it's design. If you go to a Motorcycle junk yard you can probably pickup a radiator from a watercooled MC engine fairly cheap. I got one from a Honda Gold Wing for $20. The dirk bike radiators are more expensive as they get damaged easy and they tend to be smaller anyway.
AL(CO)
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

Hehe, scratch those ideas!

Dave
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
Sir Yach-o
First Gear

Post by Sir Yach-o »

I beg to differ. My Air/water setup using the A/C condenser flows just fine. I checked it using a garden hose before using it, and it seemed fine to me. Also, upon installing the IC, I ran the water pump after filling the system with water, and it definitely pushed the water through the condenser with no problem, and emptied the entire system within seconds. I think that, in the interest of cooling, that you'd want as big a heat exchanger as you can physically use, and if it flows enough, you're good to go. If it doesn't flow at all, then you've got problems. $.02

-mike[/i]
I'm saving up for my Yugo.