Heater assembly stuck!!!

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

robowski123
In Neutral

Heater assembly stuck!!!

Post by robowski123 »

So I'm currently trying to replace the heater core in my 1997 legacy . All the way up 2 where heater assembly should lift right out,followed manual step by step removed 3 bolts but won't come out. Feels like something is holding it from behind, hoses off . Tried using inspection mirror and can't see anything but definitely something. Please help.
mike-tracy

Re: Heater assembly stuck!!!

Post by mike-tracy »

It uses really, really sticky adhesive that's been there for 20 years. Pull! ;)
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Mike's right, it takes some force. Is the A/C evaporator part of the box already out of the way?
robowski123
In Neutral

Post by robowski123 »

Ok git the core replaced,car ran great fir like 3 days,but back to overheating. I have new thermostat ,radiator hoses,water pump. Can't find any leaks but cool ant is dissapearing. Also heater was blowing hot but now back to cold. Could it be an air bubble or the radiator itself?
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

High chance it's head gaskets. EJ25 or EJ22? How many miles on the car?
robowski123
In Neutral

Post by robowski123 »

Head gasket was done like 50k ago. No oil in coolant or vise versa. No moisture out of tail pipe and no loss off power. Changed heater core ran fine for a few days.
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Most Subaru head gasket issues don't mix oil and coolant, and rarely have noticeable moisture in the exhaust. Literally the only sign is exactly what you're seeing, air in the cooling system with no external leaks.

Is it an EJ25? Is it possible an inferior headgasket was used 50k ago, like a Fel Pro? Non-OEM headgaskets usually only last a few tens of thousands of miles at most. The EJ25D specifically is known for losing even OEM headgaskets in under 100k miles. EJ22 is usually a 200k+ engine on factory headgaskets.

Long story short, I still think its HGs.
robowski123
In Neutral

Post by robowski123 »

I will double check ,its the 2.2 .200k on it. Thanks fir the info
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

Did you replace the thermostat with a genuine Subaru thermostat? Most aftermarket ones will not open and overheat.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
robowski123
In Neutral

Post by robowski123 »

Boom problem solved I bought a $4 peek flushing kit z hook it up follow the instructions on the back when I drain my coolant the second time there were chunks of what looks like Wax all over added together I would say it was the size of a golf ball. Talk to my mechanic buddy and he said that somebody probably use a head gasket Quick Fix on it and all of that crap came loose. She's running like a champ now just got over 200k going to try to make it to 300K
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Good luck with that, keep an eye on it over the next few weeks. I hope you fixed it too.