Which clutch to use in a Ej22t swap?

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

91legacyLS
In Neutral

Which clutch to use in a Ej22t swap?

Post by 91legacyLS »

Hey everyone, I'm doing an ej22t swap into a N/A 91 Legacy; and I know that SS's clutches are hydraulically operated. And my Clutch in the N/a is operated by a cable. So I'm asking to see if I should be getting a clutch to match the engine or trans? Plus any recommendations on a good quality clutch that can withstand the abuse of rallycross.
-1991 Subaru Legacy SS 6mt swapped
-1991 Subaru Legacy Wagon NA Rallyx car
-1991 Subaru Legacy Stage Car Project
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Which clutch to use in a Ej22t swap?

Post by Legacy777 »

Welcome to the BBS.

You need to get the clutch that matches to your transmission. You'd need to stick with the "push" style clutch release lever. They do make hydraulically actuated push style clutch setups. So if you wanted to upgrade you could. That might make upgrading to a stiffer pressure plate a little easier on your leg.

Are you planning to keep the power around stock levels or make it much higher?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

What he said^^^^

Engine doesn't car what transmission is on the car, it just does the work and the tranny makes the wheels go round.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
91legacyLS
In Neutral

Post by 91legacyLS »

Legacy777 wrote:Welcome to the BBS.

You need to get the clutch that matches to your transmission. You'd need to stick with the "push" style clutch release lever. They do make hydraulically actuated push style clutch setups. So if you wanted to upgrade you could. That might make upgrading to a stiffer pressure plate a little easier on your leg.

Are you planning to keep the power around stock levels or make it much higher?
The build is for more reliability than insane hp. I'm keeping the stock SOHC heads and plan on using a TD04 with sti pink injectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Pinks are topfeed. You would need sidefeeds, so 440cc gray injectors or 550cc yellow injectors. Both require appropriate engine management to run. Either would work great with a TD04.

You need to use a push-style clutch, but I'd recommend upgrading to hydraulic as well since the cable likes to stretch and snap if you go to a stronger pressure plate, which you will probably need to do at much higher than stock SS power. A stock N/A clutch may or may not hold well . If you keep the boost low-ish, like 12-13psi or so, a stock N/A cable clutch would probably be fine. That'd be around 200 flywheel HP or so.

As far as hydraulic goes, I like to use the 06+ WRX push clutch on N/A transmissions. You need the clutch hydraulics, hydraulic pedal box, complete clutch kit, flywheel, clutch fork and pivot pin, and some small grinding on the ribs of the bellhousing to fit the clutch.
91legacyLS
In Neutral

Post by 91legacyLS »

Alphius wrote:Pinks are topfeed. You would need sidefeeds, so 440cc gray injectors or 550cc yellow injectors. Both require appropriate engine management to run. Either would work great with a TD04.

You need to use a push-style clutch, but I'd recommend upgrading to hydraulic as well since the cable likes to stretch and snap if you go to a stronger pressure plate, which you will probably need to do at much higher than stock SS power. A stock N/A clutch may or may not hold well . If you keep the boost low-ish, like 12-13psi or so, a stock N/A cable clutch would probably be fine. That'd be around 200 flywheel HP or so.

As far as hydraulic goes, I like to use the 06+ WRX push clutch on N/A transmissions. You need the clutch hydraulics, hydraulic pedal box, complete clutch kit, flywheel, clutch fork and pivot pin, and some small grinding on the ribs of the bellhousing to fit the clutch.
Alright, on the hydraulics parts you listed are you referring to the clutch hydraulics that came on SS's and I need to track those down or use wrx parts? What kind of standalone would work the best?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

He is talking about the hydraulics from the 06+ WRX.

As for engine management I suggest checking out the Robtune

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=43744

And the ESL board is another recent option.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=55665
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
91legacyLS
In Neutral

Post by 91legacyLS »

Legacy777 wrote:He is talking about the hydraulics from the 06+ WRX.

As for engine management I suggest checking out the Robtune

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=43744

And the ESL board is another recent option.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=55665
Awesome thanks! And i just want to clarify, 06 wrx pedal along with master and slave, All 06+ parts and it should work?
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Any hydraulic clutch box, from 91-94 Turbo Legacy, 97+ EJ25 Legacy/Outback, 1998+ EJ25 Impreza/Forester. Up until '04 for the Legacy/Outback and '07 for the Impreza/Forester I believe. By pedal box, we mean the actual clutch/brake/gas pedals and associated bracketry inside the car.

Master and slave cylinders need to be from an 06/07 WRX if you want them to work best with the 06/07 WRX clutch setup.
There's some info in my SL-i thread about the clutch setup, I used 06/07 WRX parts on my '99 5-speed until I Swapped to 6-speed.
http://sl-i.net/FORUM/showthread.php?18 ... speed-swap

Josh has you covered on the current easiest engine management options.
91legacyLS
In Neutral

Post by 91legacyLS »

Alphius wrote:Any hydraulic clutch box, from 91-94 Turbo Legacy, 97+ EJ25 Legacy/Outback, 1998+ EJ25 Impreza/Forester. Up until '04 for the Legacy/Outback and '07 for the Impreza/Forester I believe. By pedal box, we mean the actual clutch/brake/gas pedals and associated bracketry inside the car.

Master and slave cylinders need to be from an 06/07 WRX if you want them to work best with the 06/07 WRX clutch setup.
There's some info in my SL-i thread about the clutch setup, I used 06/07 WRX parts on my '99 5-speed until I Swapped to 6-speed.
http://sl-i.net/FORUM/showthread.php?18 ... speed-swap

Josh has you covered on the current easiest engine management options.
Fantastic. Your thread was quite helpful in laying it all out. I just wanted to be 100% in understanding what I needed before pulling the trigger. Ordering up hydraulic parts as I type!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nortonjefferson
First Gear

Post by nortonjefferson »

Cool to see someone from carnation on here! I love it out there, they have the best skatepark around and it is ALWAYS empty lol

On a side note i have to do a hydro conversion for the ss tranny i plan to swap into my L sedan, try and take pictures if you can! Curious on how the pedals are going to fit!
White 1993 L Wagon AWD 5MT-FXT lift, 27” MTs 380xxx miles
White 1991 L sedan AWD 5MT-(Robtune 550 DOHC Ej22t swap coming together) 187xxx miles
Black 2005 LGT 5MT-Ej20x swapped daily, VF40/elh