Intake valves not closing

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

zeke
First Gear

Intake valves not closing

Post by zeke »

So im in the process of installing my dohc heads and when I turn the engine over by hand all my compression leaks out of the #4 cylinder when I have the camshaft installed pull it out the cam and it seals just fine. One of my hla buckets on that cylinder is squishy and the other is very solid feeling. The valve with the solid bucket holds the valve open further than the other. This thing has me stumped to as why the valve is being pushed open by the camshaft when its not sitting on the lobe. Does this sound like a symptom of bad buckets I've never messed with self adjusting lifters before.
91 ss Ej22t dohc td04 sti Slanty haltech elite 1500
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Re: Intake valves not closing

Post by wtdash »

Hi,
I don't have a direct answer, but recommend 'bleeding' all the HLA's before installing.
Td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
zeke
First Gear

Post by zeke »

Yeah I ended up taking them all out and bleeding them checked it out all the valves were closed after then I put the head back on without the cams in and they were sealing then I put the cams back in and its leaking past the intake again on the number 1 and 3 cylinders. I really dont want to put the sohc heads back on I think im going to just put it all back together and hope that with the engine running at speed it will all just seal up. If that doesn't work I may just buy an ej20g and slap in there.
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Do you know the history of the heads 100%? As in there's no chance the cams are wrong, etc?

And it's been awhile since I messed w/the DOHC, but there's an Intake and Exhaust Cam, but there' not left (driver's) or right (passenger), correct?
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
zeke
First Gear

Post by zeke »

The cams are stamped with a R and L and an I and E so im 100% that they are in the correct spots. I was reading someone else with my exact issue on a vanogan with an ej22e in it and someone told that guy not to worry about it because he was cranking it over by hand and thats its not totally uncommon for that to happen but there was no follow-up as to if he had a problem or not. I do plan on updating this with a definitive answer just incase someone else runs into this issue weather its fine or not. If I dont end up working tomorrow I am hoping to have the engine back in the car ready to go so I will update as soon as I find out. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, what you described is more or less normal. The HLA's can be pumped up all the way and may have too much clearance which leaves the valve open as you are describing. Once you start the engine they will self adjust and be fine.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
zeke
First Gear

Post by zeke »

Thats good to know. I haven't got much done with it this week I had a camshaft cap bolt snap off in the head and I drilled into it to use an easy out the easy out snapped off in the broken bolt and none of the bits I had was up to the task of drilling through that easy out. Luckily my dad has some pretty bad ass drill bits designed for drilling through hardened steel they are cryo treated bits so I'm going to give it a try and just put a helicoil in it. I drive a semi truck so I'm not home all the time so progress has not been at the speed that I would like but I'd rather take my time and do it correctly.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, I completely understand. Take your time and do it right.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
zeke
First Gear

Post by zeke »

Got the car back together tonight and it all worked itself out after a few minutes of running. It doesn't feel any less torquey with the 96 dohc heads on it I only have the boost set at 5psi at the moment and it pulls just as hard as the sohc heads at 12. Overall I am very pleased with this setup for now I will update the fuel rail thread with more pics and info when I get a chance.