EJ20G "RobTune" Info

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

legsportwag
First Gear

Re: EJ20G "RobTune" Info

Post by legsportwag »

wtdash wrote:
legsportwag wrote: This was on a dynocom dyno known as "the ball buster" (dynocom dynos read about 40hp lower then a dynojet or mustang dyno).
What does a stock STI put down on this shop's dyno?

Mustang is usually the lower reading of the dynos.....aka the 'heart breaker dyno'.

TD
Stock 06 sti just did 197whp @ 5390rpm / 212 ft lbs at 4880 rpm
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Damn that's low. That's more than 33% loss from the crank.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
legsportwag
First Gear

Post by legsportwag »

Or the dyno reads low, which the dyno owner did say it known to do..
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, that is really low. The dyno dynamics I got mine tuned on was about 50 hp difference between crank & wheel HP numbers, which seems about right for drivetrain losses.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

Hey guys I've gone through the thread and can't seem to find this issue popping up or anything. I got the car back today and its running great but my cel is flickering constantly. Which is the knock detection feature. But its doing it at idle and when decelerating and even when accelerating gently off boost.

My though is a faulty knock sensor or messed up knock sensor wiring?

Anyone else run into this issue?
~Spencer
94 Legacy Turbo (550 Robtune/ej20h v2 Sti RA drivetrain)
94 Legacy Ti Wagon (5mt ej22e)
91 rhd Legacy GT Wagon (factory 5mt, ej20g)
93 rhd Legacy GT type S2 Sedan (4eat, ej20g)
91 rhd Legacy Ti Type S 1.8
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Hi,
Yes, there are others on here w/a similar issue. Please do a search on this whole site (vs. this Thread) for responses.

Did you check your codes? The CEL is 'spastic' per Rob w/his Tune.

I'd pull your KS and check for cracks. Should be replaced anyway - unless you know its history.

TD
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

That's not the knock light. That means you have a code or several codes possibly. Check your codes. The knock light is a more solid flash and it only does it once or twice at a time. If it's flickering that means you have a code stored.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

So I did some more research and talked to Rob... Figured it must be what Kimo said and checked the codes. There weren't any stored though. Connected the black wires under the steering column and turned the ignition to the on position. The light just steadily flashed continuously.
~Spencer
94 Legacy Turbo (550 Robtune/ej20h v2 Sti RA drivetrain)
94 Legacy Ti Wagon (5mt ej22e)
91 rhd Legacy GT Wagon (factory 5mt, ej20g)
93 rhd Legacy GT type S2 Sedan (4eat, ej20g)
91 rhd Legacy Ti Type S 1.8
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Does Rob utilize the green connectors?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

Legacy777 wrote:Does Rob utilize the green connectors?
The green connectors should work with robtune unless otherwise specified. Rob has an option to eliminate ecu codes, so it is possible to not ever get any codes.
93 impreza rally muffin
93 legacy ss Tarmac Terminator
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
killajamal wrote:Dank is actually German for "silly term which the kids have come up with to describe exceptionally choice marijuana.''
WRXish
First Gear

Post by WRXish »

rob wrote:Ok, time to catch up a bit...
logan9691 wrote:Well I'd be interested in adapting it to my EJ22T. Is there any way of advancing the timing to make up for the drop in CR in the 2.2's, not sure if that would be simple to do or not. Would it be do able to put one of these in, throw it on the dyno and see whats going on there and make any necessary changes to optimize it for the 22t's? Like rob said in theory it should all work pretty perfectly since most of us want the better MAF and injectors anyways, that only leaves the ignition to deal with.
Sure, it's possible to change the ignition maps, but it's a royal pain tuning with an eprom. It would probably take a few dyno runs and a local (or my own) car to collect data with. First, I would be interested in how the current tunes run at std CR.
brand wrote:If this will work on a EJ22T with yellow tops, a TD05, and a JECS MAF... sold! Can't wait to see how this develops, keep up the good work.
I wish someone with your capability and knowledge base would take on providing tunes for the NA crowd. I have a strong suspicion I am going to need the services of someone who can do that for my 2.5 swap. Its not looking like the 2.2 ECU is going to do well in stock form.

This is probably the best setup to try first as it's the closest to my current configuration.
kimokalihi wrote:This could convince me to keep my TD05 and find some injectors. Is the 06/07 TMIC good enough to run TD05 and 520 or 550 injectors with this ECU on my EJ20G?

Also, what if we don't have the EJ20G ecu to send you? I have one from a 97 JDM forester, will that work?
The 06/07 TMIC should be fine, assuming you have good ducting. All of my testing has been with the slanty IC which is pretty small. If you don't have an EJ20G ECU, then it's time to go hunting on ebay.uk or calling around the engine importers like JHOT or East Coast Swappers. I do have a small supply of spare EJ20G ECUs, so I have a couple I would consider selling. No the late model EJ20G ECU's won't work. They are basically EJ20k ECUs. The easiest way to tell is to count plugs; 4-plugs good, 3-plugs bad.
dscoobydoo wrote:Since the disappearance of revtronix, there are quite a few people who were kind of waiting in line for something like this.

There are a few of us who would be more than happy to provide a car for extended amounts of time to help you ( help us) work the EJ22T ECU.

Myself included ( as I have two legacy turbos, one with a piggy back, so you can actually pull my tables and see before you start tweaking)

There are quite a few of us with two simple set-ups: 06 TMIC/440/TD05, or 06 TMIC/Stock or 440s/ TD04

Or another option would be to find a cheap/easy DIY for changing out to the EJ20G and modifying the wiring/coil/maf issues.

If you want to discuss it in length, I am willing to bet quite a few of us would meet locally ( even in Puyallup so you don't have to go anywhere.)

D
Thanks for the info. These are the pieces to the puzzle I need; understanding what the community in general is looking for and what are the standard mod packages that closely match what I have. Having locals who are willing to provide cars to test on, have some good datalogging capabilities (Innovate LM2 would be a good choice) and invest in some dyno runs will go a long way. If anybody has a revtronix ECU to loan out, I could take a look and figure out what's involved in chipping the stock ECU from a hardware perspective. It would take some time to figure out how to modify the maps/etc. I could invest some time to at least see what it would take. It sounds like there is plenty of interest.

My early assessment is that folks interested in chip tunes can fall into 3 categories;

1) 520 Yellow injectors/JECS MAF/some form of Intercooler/modified harness to run EJ20G ECU
2) 440 EJ20G injectors/JECS MAF/some form of Intercooler/modified harness to run EJ20G ECU
3) Other standard mods, desire for more boost, on stock ECU

Is that about right?
I think the first two are the easiest in terms of matching what I already provide.

-Rob