91 legacy na 5mt

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

gtojay
In Neutral

91 legacy na 5mt

Post by gtojay »

Hi guys, I am new to the forums but have been reading many posts.

I am looking to swap my awd 5mt with crappy syncros to a later version. It sounds like I should keep it in the 90s for ease of clutch cabling

"All the 4.11 transmissions will work, until they got rid of the speedo gear in the transmission itself. So anything prior to 05 for legacys, and prior to 08 for impreza. If you are intending to keep the cable actuated clutch, then stick with 90s 4.11s for ease of swapping." -mike-tracy

So recommendations? I have a new clutch and pp for the 91 and bought new linkage polyurethane because it rows way to much. would rather wrist or finger shift. tranny has just shy of 200k mi and needs new cv joint on right front.

This is a no ABS car so wondering how that plays out. For instance, if I get an 94 impreza tranny can I grab the cvs at the same time? will the cvs with the abs encoder bolt up or should I get new rebuilt axles for 91.

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 91 legacy na 5mt

Post by Legacy777 »

As for recommendations, I think you have the year range to work with so it's whatever you can find at the best price near you.

As for the CV's, I'm not sure of the length of the Impreza axles vs. the Legacy axles. As long as they're the same length I don't see an issue with using axles that are meant for an ABS equipped car/hub.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
gtojay
In Neutral

Post by gtojay »

anyone on here know about the syncros? I had read somewhere that while they suck on my year legacy (makes it drive like a tractor) that it makes the tranny last longer. I would rather find one that doesn't have that issue. Does anyone know when they changed or if impreza outback etc never had that.
91 Subaru Legacy L Wagon na 5MT
1970 Pontiac LeMans convertible with 1972 GTO front clip. 455 HO with TKO 5speed
2014 Chevy Cruze 2LT RS
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The newer the transmission typically the better the syncro design is. I however don't have the specifics on when each improvement was made.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm