Larger Wheel and Tire Fitment thread

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

WRXish
First Gear

Re: Larger Wheel and Tire Fitment thread

Post by WRXish »

I cant figure out how to post a photo to show whats been done. Cant seem to drag and drop. grrr

ksport coil overs roughly just under an inch clearance between fender lip and tires at the closest points at all 4 corners.
wheels are Sport edition (tire rack specials) 16x7.5 with Sumitomo all season 205/50-16s +55mm offset
I had clearance issues at all 4 corners and rolled all 4 fenders with a baseball bat
I have plenty of room inboard and not much at the fender lips. I would love to go up one more size in tire but the car feels so nimble now I am afraid to screw with it.

Alignment, zero toe front and rear, 0 camber rear -0.5 camber on both front. So far, tire wear seems fairly even. we will see how it goes long term.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Open an account on flickr or photobucket and post the IMG link
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
WRXish
First Gear

Post by WRXish »

thanks mike, I will do that
WRXish
First Gear

Post by WRXish »

Ok lets bump this old thread and keep it alive...recently put new wheels on my moms 2008 legacy sedan and that left me with the factory 17" legacy wheels collecting dust. I also had a set of 215/45-17s laying around so I married em up and put them on the 91 wagon. With -.6 camber in the front, and -.5 camber in the back I have no rubbing. The tops of the tires less than an inch from the sheet metal in height. Ksport coilovers still on the car. It goes around corners so well I cant imagine giving it any more capability. Its already the best handling car I have ever driven or ridden in. :)
GarekHurt
In Neutral

Post by GarekHurt »

I just scored a 91 L wagon and a guy up the road put some rattled canned 16" wrx wheels up for $150, as we installed them, the back was soooo close to touching, fronts had room for days. Stock suspension. Tires are 190 55 r16
Pntaste4evr99
Winestone Cowboy

Post by Pntaste4evr99 »

I'm running 225/50/16 BFG'S on RS 6 spokes with tein coilovers, roughly -1 camber all around. Lowered about half inch from lips, but rears have about 3mm clearance from rubbing on the shock....so pretty close.

Just thought I'd throw that out...
94 Winestone SS 5MT Rob 550 20g. (Pickle)
Original WA car with 460k miles and climbing
WRXish
First Gear

Re:

Post by WRXish »

Legacy777 wrote:The wheels should fit just fine. What size tire are you planning to run? The stock WRX tire 205/55 r16 is a tad tall and may rub on the spring perch.
205/50-16 will work well and give u some shorter gearing as well...its a really good combo. no clearance issues with H&R springs, approx 1" lower than stock ride height kyb shocks. this on awd wagon
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yup, that is a good size and what I run currently :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
WRXish
First Gear

Post by WRXish »

robertpaige wrote:205/40/17 on a 9.5" wheel :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
that car is pretty slammed....I cant imagine that you could drive it most places around here without it dragging something vital. The sidewalls on those tires are so short they barely qualify as rim protectors lol
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

WRXish wrote:
robertpaige wrote:205/40/17 on a 9.5" wheel :)

that car is pretty slammed....I cant imagine that you could drive it most places around here without it dragging something vital. The sidewalls on those tires are so short they barely qualify as rim protectors lol
I drove the shit out of that car. Never once had a problem getting in and out of anywhere or ever had a problem with a tire. It looked gangster to me!

the guy who had the really low winestone SS on the corvette wheels
WRXish
First Gear

Post by WRXish »

The thread that will never die....I did a size increase on the 16x7.5 53mm offset rims I got from tire rack by mounting up 225 50s sumitomo all seasons on them and have created maybe the best combo I have tried yet. All 4 fender lips have to be rolled tightly for clearance and even with that it rubs a bit at full bump in the rear. A more rounded shouldered tire would fit with no issues. Steering response is a bit slower with the taller sidewalls, but lateral grip is up and so is ride quality. Even on rough roads its more compliant and is now a comfortable road trip car that wont beat you up but still handles very nicely.
Ty92leg
In Neutral

Post by Ty92leg »

I went from the OE wheels (185/65R14) to 2010 Impreza L steelies that are 205/55R16 and they fit fine. I'm lowered about an inch or so and I don't have any issues rubbing lol. I don't have spacers either I can post some disappointing pictures later if need be

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
hellawesome
In Neutral

Larger Wheel and Tire Fitment thread

Post by hellawesome »

Image 18x9 +30 with 245/45/18 took a lot of work to fit [emoji1474]

Dominator
First Gear

Post by Dominator »

^ That looks great! Those tires are big for this car, I'm impressed you got them to fit.
Omega79
Second Gear

Post by Omega79 »

Not only does that not look bad, it actually looks pretty good. I thought 18's would look terrible on the first gen. How does you speedo read?
lucas wrote:There were multiple Legacys with 300k+ miles. Jesus will return on a Turbo Lego.
SabarKcirtap
In Neutral

Post by SabarKcirtap »

Does anybody have insight on tire size for 16x6.5 snowflake wheels off of a Legacy GT on an AWD sedan with stock suspension? I went thru this entire thread and didn't see anybody with those wheels, but I could be wrong. Image

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

From the factory, that LGT snowflake wheel came loaded with 205/55/r16's
SabarKcirtap
In Neutral

Post by SabarKcirtap »

Will that fit in a BC wheel well with stock suspension? Or will I have to get different tires?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

With worn out suspension you can rub in the rear. With people in the back, you will rub in the rear.
yazmo
Third Gear

Post by yazmo »

Hello everyone, i have been around for a good decade on this forum, i always wanted to finish up my legacy 1994 turbo but i got unlucky as the engine bay burned on fire, I brought 2 after that but one got an accident so i am at my third one.

This is a legacy sedan 1993 awd turbo i have a set or e 17x7"
Offset: +55 Bolt pattern: 5x100 Wheel Weight: 19 lbs OEM-equipped tire size: 215/45R17
link to the wheel can be seen here - https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showth ... ?t=2239019

The problem is that on stock struts i have like a very very little space between the strut and the wheel sure gonna hit it on bump.

So my question is as really would like to use these wheel what option do i have, it seem a spacer would only make the tire further and closer to the fender which are already kinda at the limit, adding a 20mm spacer i don't think would fix it anyway, and id like to stay away from the spacer

now i could use some coilover but i never buy them so its pretty new to me.

here some pictures will be there for a month

Any help will be appreciated.

To resume if I get this correct OEM are 205/50/r16 offset +53 with 6.5 width wheel
the wheel goes under the rear strut perch a good 10mm if not a little bit more and have like a 3mm space before it touches it.
Now I could probably use spacer but I'm already very stretch to go out the fender already and I would love to avoid going spacer as I see everyone wanted to go back without them!

Yazmo
Last edited by yazmo on Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

How much room do you have between the tire and strut? That distance should only change when the tire flexes under cornering or other loads.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

yazmo
Third Gear

Post by yazmo »

i have like 4mm before it touches the strut, so i am guessing it will rub, also i have to pass an inspection so i am wondering if this is enough to fail.
Ss so spacer i would need like 20mm if not more and then it will be the opposite is will the wheel get out of the rear sidewall,
I have KYB and H&R that i cannot use with this set of wheel because it drop the suspension by one inch, so i am looking for coil
I never try any of these thou, i also read here to not go cheap. so its either going back 16-inch im looking for options i really like to those mags.

thank for answering, sorry my my rusty english.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

There is only so much room for larger wheels on these older cars. What I've seen people do is roll fenders to get more room on the outside and run coilovers to get more room on the inside. I'm not really sure what else you can do besides that.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

yazmo
Third Gear

Post by yazmo »

Legacy777 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:40 am There is only so much room for larger wheels on these older cars. What I've seen people do is roll fenders to get more room on the outside and run coilovers to get more room on the inside. I'm not really sure what else you can do besides that.
i feel you. i may try a small spacer maybe 15mm and hit the lower strut perch with a hammer just to have a little more space, ill come up with a picture so you guys can see the clearance
clearly,