Official CF/FG Hood Discussion/Status Thread

Parts and services from sanctioned vendors and businesses.

Moderator: Moderators

RckyMtnLegacy
Third Gear

Re: Official CF/FG Hood Discussion/Status Thread

Post by RckyMtnLegacy »

Hood on order! Thanks Lee
RckyMtnLegacy
Third Gear

Post by RckyMtnLegacy »

I hope when I get mine I can convince more to get one. Lee has worked hard on this and it looks like I'm the first one to order one.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yup, looking forward to seeing it!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
ride_child
Third Gear

Post by ride_child »

when i get my wagon back on the road and save some scratch, im definitely getting one!
RckyMtnLegacy
Third Gear

Post by RckyMtnLegacy »

I'll hold you to that, lol. Only reason I'm being pushy is because Lee put a ton of work into these and everyone kept wanting update for years and all of a sudden when he is ready...chirp chirp. I know it's a lot of money but it's worth it. I'll take the bullet and be the first one but I'm not worried because I already had CF goodies from Lee and they turned out amazing ie: sunroof and groomsmen gift for my wedding. Just saying we need to support his efforts. Thank you and can't wait!
ride_child
Third Gear

Post by ride_child »

im still planning on it just to keep you posted haha this weekend was filled with cutting out my entire passenger floor pan and welding in a new piece. im completely rebuilding the beam that the front of the passenger seat mounts to. but my wagon will have a cf hood on it!!
kasch
In Neutral

Post by kasch »

I would buy a preface hood, as soon as one was available....:(
Northwind Composites
First Gear

Post by Northwind Composites »

Thank you for the interest. Unfortunately I do not have any plans at present to make a pre-facelift hood. The response to the post facelift hood has been positive in terms of forum support. However, to be blunt, to date the mold has produced a grand total of 4 hoods including my own personal one. This is acceptable and not unexpected. However, while I can justify the cost of the mold for my shop car due to advertising, I cannot justify the cost of a several thousand dollar mold for the pre-facelift assuming the same sales volumes.

That said, we're still doing cool things and we're getting some in-house CNC tables setup which might provide more unique options for the BBS crowd and more custom capability.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or items I can help with.

Thank you,

Lee
RckyMtnLegacy
Third Gear

Post by RckyMtnLegacy »

I promise I will get pics of mine installed once it get the car ready. My swap is done but she won't fire so that's first then cosmetic. Looks absolutely amazing on my wall though
kasch
In Neutral

Post by kasch »

What if there was a group buy, with deposits? How many would it take to justify? I can think of 4 people off the top of my head that would be interested.
Northwind Composites
First Gear

Post by Northwind Composites »

As a general policy, I don't like group buys. I've seen them go sideways too many times and I don't want to manage deposits and things of that nature. My standard shop policy for custom work is 50% down at the start. However, I generally don't like taking money until the final product is ready to ship.

Additionally, while people are often very interested in things like this, it's different when you ask them to pay up to $800 for a CF hood on a 25+ year old car. One of the great things about the BBS is how incredibly far we've been able to take these cars for being, on the whole and I mean this very kindly, a bunch of cheap people :).

Finally, for reference, it takes roughly 5-10 sunroofs to pay off the materials in the mold depending on the size. Labor is on top of that. I know we do not have that many people here who are that committed these old chassis. Therefore, to make a pre-facelift hood work I'm going to charge up to $1500 per hood to pay off a $5k mold which makes the problem that much harder to solve.

I'm apologize, but at present time it's just not in the cards.

That said, I'm always open to smaller ideas. I did just recently get a small 30"x30"x3" CNC up and running and I have a 4'x8'x11" CNC on order. So that might open a few new possibilities for the creative minds around here.
chochocho
Second Gear

Post by chochocho »

i'd be very interested in a pre-facelift hood as well. but just read the above and totally understand the economics of it.