Cars been sitting for a while... Clutch won't release

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

mittens
In Neutral

Cars been sitting for a while... Clutch won't release

Post by mittens »

My 92 ss has been sitting for about 6 months without being moved. Just went outside to move it and it will not go into any gear. The fluid is full, the pedal is firm (like it was before it was parked) and it returns just fine. With the engine off, I can get the trans to shift into ant gear, so I don't think its a shift fork issue.

Has anyone had this problem before? I think the clutch plate is just fused to the flywheel or the pressure plate is not disengaging.

Any advice to break it loose? I don't have the means to take the trans out to inspect it.

Thank you in advance
jefferson
Third Gear

Re: Cars been sitting for a while... Clutch won't release

Post by jefferson »

You might try starting it with the car in gear and the clutch pushed in. That might break it loose. Be ready to shut it off if it does start and the clutch doesn't release or kill it with the brakes. Motorcycles are bad about the wet multiplate clutches sticking, but I don't recall hearing this about a car.
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
mittens
In Neutral

Re: Cars been sitting for a while... Clutch won't release

Post by mittens »

It worked! Thanks for the advice