Clutch Adjustments

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

cheades
In Neutral

Clutch Adjustments

Post by cheades »

I got a 91 Legacy 5MT wagon and it supposedly has a new clutch when I got it. My issue is the clutch doesn't feel very linear or smooth at all, are there any ways to adjust the clutch (from what I read it is not hydraulic, correct)?
91 Legacy
89 BMW 325i
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

You do have a cable clutch, not a hydraulic. I'm sure there is some adjustment. I would imagine THAWA would be fairly intimate with the whole setup, since he just recently swapped a manual into his 90. Might want to PM him, or he will probably see this thread.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Pedal activation adjustment is by adjusting the nuts where the cable goes into the fork.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

I was in the same boat, new clutch before I got the car but it felt crappy.

I adjusted using the afore-mentioned adjustments on the end of the cable at the top of the transmissions (right in your face at the rear of the engine, easy), same style of adjustmant as bike brake cables. That helped take out the slop. Don't go too far, make sure there is still 1/2" or so dead pedal before the cable pulls or you'll slip the clutch and wear it out, fast.

Then, I lubricated everything thoroughly. There was a lot of binding / squeaking coming from the pedal assembly itself it turns out.

Its better now but still not to be confused with a fine hydraulic clutch. I think it is as good as the factory now.
That beer you are drinking cost more than my car
taekwondad40
In Neutral

Re: Clutch Adjustments

Post by taekwondad40 »

professor wrote:I was in the same boat, new clutch before I got the car but it felt crappy.

I adjusted using the afore-mentioned adjustments on the end of the cable at the top of the transmissions (right in your face at the rear of the engine, easy), same style of adjustmant as bike brake cables. That helped take out the slop. Don't go too far, make sure there is still 1/2" or so dead pedal before the cable pulls or you'll slip the clutch and wear it out, fast.

Then, I lubricated everything thoroughly. There was a lot of binding / squeaking coming from the pedal assembly itself it turns out.

Its better now but still not to be confused with a fine hydraulic clutch. I think it is as good as the factory now.
That's EXACTLY the information I needed! Thank you! [emoji41]

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk