Engine swap help...

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

big_12_gage
In Neutral

Engine swap help...

Post by big_12_gage »

My phase 1 ej22 is getting tired and i wanted to do an engine swap. Swap ideas? Emmisions doesnt matter to me. Ill get around it. I know theres decent swap options but i need a little help deciding between a jdm ej20 or any usdm turbo engine or a hybrid/frankenmotor with my current 22 heads. I know my harness isnt very complicated but do any of you have ideas which one would be the easiest to drop in and splice the harness for my 91? It is an auto and id like to keep the same trans until it finally lets go then a manual swap will come into play. Been doing some research but i need real time answers instead of just threads that are years old. Image

Sent from my Z965 using Tapatalk
Omega79
Second Gear

Re: Engine swap help...

Post by Omega79 »

Well... it just depends on how much effort you want to put into it.

The 22 heads are sort of the weakness of the engine (as far as power is concerned), so anything while leaving the heads is going to be mediocre at best.

Any full engine or head swap you're looking at wiring and computer work of some sort, none of it will be quick/simple/easy. You could throw the 22 heads on a EJ25D block, someone around here did it once and I can't remember what came of it.
lucas wrote:There were multiple Legacys with 300k+ miles. Jesus will return on a Turbo Lego.
big_12_gage
In Neutral

Post by big_12_gage »

UPDATE!!!
no longer doing an engine swap. I was able together a ton of ej22t and wrx parts for a turbo build. My plan now is to use my current ej22e, set up with the 22t intake manifold, 22t heads, headers, up n down pipe, currently a vf11 turbo but might look for a td05, manual boost controller, I habe the auto 22t ecu from a 93 legacy, wrx top mount intercooler with the stock bov, extra coolant reservoir, 22t water pump, 22t cross member, and quick ratio steering rack.
Currently missing, CAI, all new engine and turbo gaskets, a few oil and coolant lines, and a couple silicone hoses.
Questions now.... With everything i have im sure i can just slap a turbo on it, run 8psi and call it good. So now im looking for decent manual transmissions rear diffs and driveshafts that will swap in. Any suggestions would be amazing, and if anyone sees a problem with my above setup let me know!!!

Sent from my Z956 using Tapatalk
big_12_gage
In Neutral

Post by big_12_gage »

This is the car getting heart surgery
Also does anyone know of any plug n play engine management systems so i can run a bigger turbo later down the road? Image

mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

From my reading, the only thing that is "close to" plug and play is the WRXLink for the ver 1-2 wrx. It can be programmed to run wasted spark, or coil on plug.

Supposedly ESL can do the same, I own one but couldn't find where it says to select wasted spark in the software.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=47252
Great resource on converting to run an ej20g ecu - that's where most of the near-plug and play options exist.

Also consider your compression ratio with the n/a short block and the turbo heads. according to marnix's chart the result is 9.7:1, same as NA.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
big_12_gage
In Neutral

Post by big_12_gage »

Awesome thanks for the reply! Ill do more research into that ecu. Isnt that the ecu that rob runes for his robtune products? If so i wouldnt mind grabbing one of those and running his tunes if its worth it. But i think a high comp build with my na pistons would be fun until i go with a bigger turbo, different ecu, and new pistons. Any tips as to what i should watch out for while putting the turbo on? The engine does have 240k and counting on it now so i don't wanna push too much boost and blow it. Its running really well right now for being 27yrs old

mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Yeah that's how you'd run a robtune. Unfortunately his tune is for 8.5:1 or less compression. My buddy Kimo burned up his 9:1 compression block on that tune.

Putting the turbo on is pretty straight forward, id make sure to use brand new lines for the coolant feed and drain.

While your compression will work for probably a long whole on the stock ecu and turbo, you'll need to get something fully tunable to run a bigger turbo. One of the options I mentioned above will work. Or install stock 22t pistons.
big_12_gage
In Neutral

Post by big_12_gage »

Alright so i should be good to go then with my current setup i listed above. Should be a fun build. Now i just gotta find the time to assemble it myself or pay someone else to do it. Thanks for the info

big_12_gage
In Neutral

Post by big_12_gage »

So i still havemt started the build. Ive got a complete stock ej22t setup minus the block itself, i also have intercooler n ect. So im changing the build a little bit. Ive been looking at forged pistons and rods and bearings for the 22e block, but are meant for the 22t. So my comp ratio will be lower now as im sticking with the 22e block, 22t forged pistons, and 22t heads. So do you know if the 22t ecu is plug and play into other first gen NA cars? If not do you know where there's solid info if wires need to be added and spliced? Im not going ro run more then 10lbs on stock ecu until i figure out a stand alone to tune off of with all supporting mods n such. Important to note that its a 91, so the ej20 ecu wont be able to fit inside of my ecus housing for stock mounting. Car is closing in on 250k now. Also i had finished up a 5spd swap almost 2 months ago. Excited to start getting this engine build all cleared up. Mostly confused on my wiring needs and differences...
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Legacy777 made the go-to thread back in the day, but I'm having trouble finding it.

you may have seen these already:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=45030
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=45769
http://legacycentral.org/library/ECU_Landscape.htm
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I don't know if I had a comprehensive thread like my AWD/5MT swap because others had done it first. I do seem to recall posting the info, but it may have been within a thread or my build journal.

The links Mike provided have good info
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm