Tein Street Advance Z

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

AlaskanLegacy
In Neutral

Tein Street Advance Z

Post by AlaskanLegacy »

Hey all, so the other day I completely blew out my right rear strut so I think it's time to upgrade. Not looking for absolute top of the line suspension, just some quality and a few inches lower but I came across these Teins that are in my price range and I was just hoping to get a second opinion as to whether or not these are exactly what I'll need to fit up to my 94 turbo wagon. I know I'll need to buy top hats and whatnot but I just want to know if they'll bolt up to my car, thanks!
https://m.ebay.com/itm/TEIN-Street-Adva ... lay%3A2.2L
Pntaste4evr99
Winestone Cowboy

Re: Tein Street Advance Z

Post by Pntaste4evr99 »

I'm running those exact ones. I did have to massively customize my race land top hats to make them work with these....only ones I had at the time. But there a good overall shock.
94 Winestone SS 5MT Rob 550 20g. (Pickle)
Original WA car with 460k miles and climbing
Omega79
Second Gear

Post by Omega79 »

It doesn't look like that set comes with bearing plates/top hats/ spring mounts. The GC Impreza stuff will fit fine except for the top mount in the front. So as long as you're using your old mounts or some custom ones, you'll be fine.

Be careful with some of those eBay listings, there is a lot of Tein fakes out there and if the price is to good to be true, then it usually is. I noticed all their pictures have a big "this isn't the actual item" disclaimer...
lucas wrote:There were multiple Legacys with 300k+ miles. Jesus will return on a Turbo Lego.
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

GC impreza tops are the same as the legacy. Actually, BC, BD, BE, GC, GD all use the exact same front top mounts. GC and 92-94 legacy have the same rear tops.

Spring perches, which go below the top mounts, do change, but those teins come with perches to fit on the smaller diameter springs so it shouldn't matter. I expect they would not work with 90-91 rear top mounts though.

So those should fit fine, and that is a decent price assuming they're legit. I doubt you're going to get free shipping if you're in Alaska though.

Also, I sell teins and can ensure they are legit, and can match that pricing, but before shipping costs. Looks like over $100 to actually get them to AK. I will need to check into that a little more closely though, and can provide an exact number with a zip code.

And as far as that suspension goes, while I traditionally have not been a huge fan of tein (you might have caught on to that if you read any of the stickied threads from years ago), the new street advance and street basis Z seem to be a pretty decent option when you're on a budget. Especially with these older cars where the options are becoming increasingly limited. Keep in mind it's still a set of $700 coilovers, plus longevity in harsh winter climates might be reduced compared to just replacement kyb struts.

oh, one more addtion:

based on your username, looks like I can save you about $100 on the set given what the ebay ad says when I type in an AK zip code.
peter@functionauto.com
AlaskanLegacy
In Neutral

Post by AlaskanLegacy »

Yeah I've read plenty of your threads and comments and what you have to say on Tein, but it's the best quality I can find while still ok a budget, while also lowering my car a couple of inches. I'm still scraping some money together after spending 2k on rims and tires after shipping to AK, but after I get it together I will definitely be going through you to order my suspension. Thanks a bunch man
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

Cool, glad to hear people still look at that stuff. I guess that is some motivation to make some updates because I have learned a little since they were first posted.
peter@functionauto.com
Omega79
Second Gear

Post by Omega79 »

jamal wrote:GC impreza tops are the same as the legacy. Actually, BC, BD, BE, GC, GD all use the exact same front top mounts. GC and 92-94 legacy have the same rear tops.

I hate to clutter this guys thread when he isn't asking about static stuff, have I been misinformed on the GC stuff? Is it just the upper spring seat that is different? I was told the GC top hat bolt pattern was different, though now that I read that it wouldn't make sense for them to change it... I know the bolt pattern for the GD, BD and BE is the same in front for the top hat, but you can't use BC upper spring seats on GD etc springs because the spring diameter is different. I know this from personal experience from doing a GD WRX (not STi) setup on a few different BC/BF/BJs.

Sorry to pull the thread off topic, I just hate being misinformed and misinforming!
lucas wrote:There were multiple Legacys with 300k+ miles. Jesus will return on a Turbo Lego.
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

There used to be pictures around here, I think I even had posted them, of the different tops, but they are gone now. I think I had them on imageshack or they were lost when I had to reinstall gallery on my own hosting.

So like I said, yes, all those cars have the same top mounts and the same bolt pattern in the chassis. In the front only though. And yes, it is the spring perch, which is a separate part, that varies.

At the rear end, there are a lot more different tops. 1st gen cars (90-94 legacy, 93-01 impreza), use a smaller bolt pattern than 2nd gen cars (95-99 legacy, 02-07 impreza). 3rd gen went to multi-link rear suspension on both and is way different.

Some rear tops have an incorporated spring perch and some come apart. Additionally, there are changes to rear tops mid-generation for the 1st gen legacy and 2nd gen impreza.

90-91 Legacy: tapered springs, don't come apart
92-94 Legacy: straight springs, seperate perch and topt
93-01 Impreza, same as 92-94 legacy
95-99 Legacy: straight springs, don't come apart
02-03 Impreza: same as 2nd gen legacy
04-07 Impreza: tapered springs, rubber spring perch fits around top

I'll dig up some pictures and put them somewhere later.
peter@functionauto.com
Omega79
Second Gear

Post by Omega79 »

Just for my own curiosity and because I will be in the market before too long, do you know off hand if the front GC spring size is the same as first gen leggy? Or if I pick up some springs meant for a GC will I need the spring perch for the GC as well to use with my fairly new tophats?

Sometimes this stuff makes me so confused I just want to go to bed!
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

I think that got answered in another thread. And I think 92-94 springs and perches are the same as a GC, but 90-91 are a different diameter even up front (the rear is definitely different).

Also, these coilovers are now in stock and ready to ship. Anyone interested in a set should send me a pm or email.
peter@functionauto.com