Vehicle barely runs in need of help!!!!!!!!!

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Chewysout2play
In Neutral

Vehicle barely runs in need of help!!!!!!!!!

Post by Chewysout2play »

So i bought my 94 legacy little over a month ago. When i got it the car would start but not run/idle until warm and then when it would it would only idle high around 1500 to 2000 because previous owner turned it up. The guy i bought it from let the car sit for ten years. He had a front mount intercooler on the vehicle and was told he put a 02-03 wrx turbo on because old turbo the wastegate got frozen. So when i bought the vehicle the first and only code i was getting was a knock sensor code. So i replaced the knock sensor since when i went to replace i found it had a crack on the side of it.Cleaned all the rats nestting out. I did a tune up to the vehicle. Replaced spark plugs, wires, and coil pack. Also checked the compression on the car. Started the car back up and still getting the same thing. Car will start but will stall right out.So now im getting a 2-4, 4-4 and 4-9 codes. So i replaced the maf with a new one. I still have all 3 codes after replacing maf. Now the owner before me has all these vacuum lines messed up and im not sure where they are suppose to go. Also wondering if i should start chasing the iacv issue. Since ive read up and that sounds like it could be the issue. I have pictures of the lines to upload. Any help is appreciated.
http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/Chewy ... sort=3&o=0
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Vehicle barely runs in need of help!!!!!!!!!

Post by Legacy777 »

Welcome to the BBS.

Unfortunately I think you've got a steep road ahead of you to try and get all this sorted out. Regarding the vacuum lines, take a look at the diagrams on this page. It should give you an idea how the stock setup is connected. You don't see a lot of blow through MAF setups, but maybe he's got it setup properly (probably not).

https://surrealmirage.com/vrg3/vacuum/

Do you know what the previous owner did to modify the idle? Have you tried running the active diagnostic with only the green connectors?

I guess what specific issue are you trying to fix, the poor/high idle or that it doesn't run well at all? Does it run ok when warmed up? Coolant temp sensors can have a pretty large affect on how the engine runs. So if it runs poor when cold, but ok when hot that may be an indicator of that. Usually they don't throw codes.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
monkeyposeur
First Gear

Post by monkeyposeur »

Is this an NA Legacy that was converted to turbo, or is it a Turbo Legacy SS?

There are two types of MAFs. There is one for USDM NA cars (Green Jecs MAF - used for Robtunes and EJ20Gs), and the aluminum housing MAFs for Turbo Legacies. They aren't interchangeable without some type of engine management system.
93 SS - SOLD
03 WRX 22T/205 20GXT 350 whp
06 OBXT
95 BK - Sold to my neighbor.
Chewysout2play
In Neutral

Post by Chewysout2play »

The vehicle is a turbo legacy per vin i checked that when i bought the vehicle. the airflow sensor that i replaced looked like the original airflow sensor it was an aluminum housing and i doubled checked the new one i put on was supposed to be for a turbo legacy ss.
zeke
First Gear

Post by zeke »

I'm pretty sure that is still the vf11 turbo look at the angle its outlet is clocked unless it has an ewg witch is kind of silly on a td04. I'd almost bet that the issue would be having the maf on the hot side of the turbo unless you are running some kind of engine management on it. What all has been done to the car do you know?
91 ss Ej22t dohc td04 sti Slanty haltech elite 1500