What did you do to your Subie today?

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

Scruff_
First Gear

Re: What did you do to your Subie today?

Post by Scruff_ »

beatersubi wrote: The lift and oil change are definitely worth it. What kind of turbo are you looking for?
Oh for sure. Theres a a fair amount of pretty expensive exotics stored there too, pretty cool to see whats there week to week. Theres a Renault 5 Turbo there that i cant stop ogling.

Jimbos the person looking for a turbo to replace his VF10. different posts ;)
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 4EAT
1994 Subaru Legacy TW
2000 Toyota Echo
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Where is this Autocross, scruff? I've always wanted to go and participate at one. I volunteered at an Autocross at dirtfish's property last year and it looked crazy fun
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Scruff_
First Gear

Post by Scruff_ »

mike-tracy wrote:Where is this Autocross, scruff? I've always wanted to go and participate at one. I volunteered at an Autocross at dirtfish's property last year and it looked crazy fun
Evergreen Speedway! Went last month with my buddy whos been doing it for years, theres a 75 person cap (so registration fills up in a few hours after it opens) but they usually announce a few days prior so it isnt hard to get in if you sign up within a few hours of it opening up.

Lots of runs, people arent super competitive, and you dont have to work the course, so its a pretty good one from what ive heard :)

you should definitely come out sometime! planning to go regularly, really want to give the newer WRX/STis the whats what ;)
1994 Subaru Legacy TW
2000 Toyota Echo
Pntaste4evr99
Winestone Cowboy

Post by Pntaste4evr99 »

If there's gonna be a little autocross meet up in Monroe I'm def down to go as well. I've drag raced there for years but never did the autocross. Looks fun.
94 Winestone SS 5MT Rob 550 20g. (Pickle)
Original WA car with 460k miles and climbing
Scruff_
First Gear

Post by Scruff_ »

Pntaste4evr99 wrote:If there's gonna be a little autocross meet up in Monroe I'm def down to go as well. I've drag raced there for years but never did the autocross. Looks fun.
Could certainly make a meetup thread. Schedule is - https://evergreenspeedway.com/category/autocross/

Planning on being at every Sunday event since I work Saturdays.

On topic- took off my Hitachi MAF referencing this thread by NICO - viewtopic.php?t=26571

Didnt see any 2 screws when i took it off... decided to just upgrade to a JECS maf and adjust my fuel to compensate, should pick it up Monday.
1994 Subaru Legacy TW
2000 Toyota Echo
scoobiedoo22
First Gear

Post by scoobiedoo22 »

Scruff,

Let us know if you happen to get that 300 plus hp from NICO's MAF mod???
1991 Legacy SS 5-Speed

1999 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
Scruff_
First Gear

Post by Scruff_ »

scoobiedoo22 wrote:Scruff,

Let us know if you happen to get that 300 plus hp from NICO's MAF mod???
Hahaha doubt ill be able to do that with SOHC heads, but hopefully itll fix the boost issue i've been having.

Talked to one of our techs and he did something pretty similar to get more boost out of an All-Trac Celica he used to have. Turns out something along those lines is pretty common for these old MAFs when youre hitting that boost wall. Looking at old threads on here, modifying these old Legacys with the stock ECU hits a wall around 10PSI when the MAF maxes out. right now even with the EBC boost maxes around 10-12psi no matter what and overboosts up to,.. forever unless i let off the throttle (around 20psi i call it quits so i dont ruin my turbo). my goal is to hold it around 18.

I'll take some pictures and post up a thread in the appropriate section when I take it apart. Looks like I have to separate the plastic and metal where theyre sealed together with silicone. Not really planning on doing it before I autocross just in case I ruin it.
1994 Subaru Legacy TW
2000 Toyota Echo
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Not much, but got the COPs on and wired:
Motor is about ready to go in, just have to make room for it.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

So pretty!
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
2004 Forester 2.5XT Premium | JBP 18L
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

Polished the headlights

Also thought i'd throw this one in for kicks

Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
2004 Forester 2.5XT Premium | JBP 18L
scoobiedoo22
First Gear

Post by scoobiedoo22 »

Copying over my post from FL4T Tlegs for my bbs fam.

Don't think ill ever admit how much time i've got into these but after obsessing for years I FINALLY finished finessing a jdm Lamco gauge set into my 91SS. Been running the Lamco boost gauge pretty much since i've owned the car but recently picked up and refurbished the oil pressure/volt/oil temp set to complete the look. Main switches are tied into the MSD DIS2 two-stage rev limiter and ground break with the smaller three-way toggle tied into the u-check and d-check wiring for fast(er) code retrieval. If I get time, I plan to do a writeup for the MSD, as it's alot cleaner than the typical engine bay install we've seen here, and for the gauges.

Image0903181530a by J King, on Flickr

Image0903181140b by J King, on Flickr
1991 Legacy SS 5-Speed

1999 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

That looks looks really nice!!! Excellent work
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

That is cool! Nice gauges and metal work
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Those are cool gauges. Nice mounting, as well.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
scoobiedoo22
First Gear

Post by scoobiedoo22 »

Thanks! Now on to the next project...working on one of two patch harnesses tonight. Oh....so.....close to finishing, but will have to wait until tomorrow. Here's a preview.

0911182334b by J King, on Flickr
1991 Legacy SS 5-Speed

1999 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
scoobiedoo22
First Gear

Post by scoobiedoo22 »

Had to put it off for a few more days but finished last night. Patch harness de-pinned and rewired to run EJ20G along with Rob's 4-to-2 converter that I picked up on the bbs from Jeff this April (thanks again Jeff!). Big thanks to Josh and Dave for all the FSM scans and pinouts, Rob for well, everything, wtdash for spreading the EJ20G message and wisdom to the bbs, and everyone else who contributed to the forums.

Final project on the list to get my 92SS Auto testbed running the patch harness and ecus is installing grey top 440's, doing some test runs, and then uping to 550's plus rails for the Robtuned 6D.

Oh life's sweet choices!

Image0915180013b by J King, on Flickr

Image0915180017 by J King, on Flickr

Image0915180020 by J King, on Flickr
1991 Legacy SS 5-Speed

1999 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Damn man, that looks really good!!!
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
scoobiedoo22
First Gear

Post by scoobiedoo22 »

Thanks. I would love to offer some of these patch harnesses up for sale but by the time you add up the overall cost of a used loom, socket, and especially the need to outright purchase the 4to2 converter from Rob, it really does put it out of the typical build price range as you can accomplish the same effect on-the-cheap by just making those few mods directly to your car's ecu harness. I have all the parts to build a second one and will try to take some vids and more step-by-step pics/instructions plus a parts list and post on the Electrical forum for those interested in tackling building one.
1991 Legacy SS 5-Speed

1999 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Looks good man!!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Coyote
In Neutral

Post by Coyote »

Today I spent another day with Murphy, this time with automatic seat belts.

My daughter says, “Hey! The seat belt won't go back in!” (the auto shoulder belt)

“Wonderful (not),” I thought.

Murphy dogs me but I hoped he was just going to laugh as I jumped through all the hoops. How hard could this be? He didn't laugh out loud — yet.

The console has to come out to get at the seat belt retractors and it comes out a lot easier if the seats aren't jamming everything against it so out comes the passenger front seat.

Two of the five seat mounting bolts come out VERY hard — they'd been cross threaded. . .

Murphy laughed really loud. I think he might have even given me the finger. . .

I was a Helo Mechanic/Aircrew in the Marine Corps. When you fix it and then go flying in it, you are HIGHLY motivated to do the job right. As a result, I am a hard-core Tool Nazi and a hard core Safety Nazi. The two are related. Before a job, we inventoried our tools against a checklist and again after the job was finished. If you didn't have the same tools afterward, the job was not 'DONE'.

The results of 'shortcuts' can be fatal. On the helicopters with two horizontal sets of rotor blades (and no tail rotor) each set of rotors sits atop about 1000 pounds of gearbox. The blades overlap above the fuselage and in order to keep them from hitting each other, there is a sync shaft between the front gearbox and the rear one. That shaft is about 8 inches in diameter and is solid.

One of these airplanes came back after a 3 hour flight and we popped off the cowling over the sync shaft for some routine maintenance. Someone had 'pencil whipped' his tool inventory and left a pair of dikes inside. In flight, they had gotten wedged between the shaft and the airframe. They began to cut into the shaft. When we found them, they had cut through over two thirds of the shaft. Murphy was surely elsewhere on that day.

I was not going to chance someone dying because I took a shortcut on some seat mounting bolts.

Murphy danced a jig while I took a die to the bolts and cleaned up the threads and a tap to the female threads in the chassis. Not a fun experience--

Out came the console and sure enough,the passenger side retractor was shot. Fortunately, someone on this board posted a warning to Read and Heed the “DO NOT REMOVE THIS COVER” or I'd have surely let Murphy talk me into it.

Then I got to repeat the trick in my parts car. There were no cross threaded bolts but my parts car is outside and it was hot and it rained a bit while I was doing this (not while I was inside the car, only when I was half in and half out). Murphy snickered all the while.

I took the driver's seat out in the parts car because I needed the plastic guide that the lap belt goes through to replace the broken one on my car.

Murphy must have found a more attractive victim because he left for a while.

I replaced the retractors without incident and decided since I already had this much apart, to replace the burned out light under the shift lever quadrant

You'd think that 4 Phillips screws wouldn't be a big deal but Murphy had sneaked back in and one of them was stripped — not the threads mind you, the HEAD! How often do you see a stripped head on a Phillips screw? Murphy roared.

With the help of a lot of cussing, I got the screw out, swiped one from the parts car, replaced the light bulb and put everything back together.

Everything worked!

I put up my tools (yes,I counted them), squared away the shop and got in the car to drive it out.

I discovered that I'd neglected to thread the shoulder belt through the plastic guide between the seat and the console!

Since there was no safety issue, I decided to mess with that 'next time'.

As I drove out of the shop, Murphy shot me a sloppy salute accompanied by maniacal laughter and vanished. . .
Any 20 minute job is only one broken bolt away from a three day disaster. . .
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I think the lesson from this story is have a donor car ;)

It was definitely a life saver when I did my AWD & 5spd conversion.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Coyote wrote:Today I spent another day with Murphy, this time with automatic seat belts.

My daughter says, “Hey! The seat belt won't go back in!” (the auto shoulder belt)

“Wonderful (not),” I thought.

Murphy dogs me but I hoped he was just going to laugh as I jumped through all the hoops. How hard could this be? He didn't laugh out loud — yet.

The console has to come out to get at the seat belt retractors and it comes out a lot easier if the seats aren't jamming everything against it so out comes the passenger front seat.

Two of the five seat mounting bolts come out VERY hard — they'd been cross threaded. . .

Murphy laughed really loud. I think he might have even given me the finger. . .

I was a Helo Mechanic/Aircrew in the Marine Corps. When you fix it and then go flying in it, you are HIGHLY motivated to do the job right. As a result, I am a hard-core Tool Nazi and a hard core Safety Nazi. The two are related. Before a job, we inventoried our tools against a checklist and again after the job was finished. If you didn't have the same tools afterward, the job was not 'DONE'.

The results of 'shortcuts' can be fatal. On the helicopters with two horizontal sets of rotor blades (and no tail rotor) each set of rotors sits atop about 1000 pounds of gearbox. The blades overlap above the fuselage and in order to keep them from hitting each other, there is a sync shaft between the front gearbox and the rear one. That shaft is about 8 inches in diameter and is solid.

One of these airplanes came back after a 3 hour flight and we popped off the cowling over the sync shaft for some routine maintenance. Someone had 'pencil whipped' his tool inventory and left a pair of dikes inside. In flight, they had gotten wedged between the shaft and the airframe. They began to cut into the shaft. When we found them, they had cut through over two thirds of the shaft. Murphy was surely elsewhere on that day.

I was not going to chance someone dying because I took a shortcut on some seat mounting bolts.

Murphy danced a jig while I took a die to the bolts and cleaned up the threads and a tap to the female threads in the chassis. Not a fun experience--

Out came the console and sure enough,the passenger side retractor was shot. Fortunately, someone on this board posted a warning to Read and Heed the “DO NOT REMOVE THIS COVER” or I'd have surely let Murphy talk me into it.

Then I got to repeat the trick in my parts car. There were no cross threaded bolts but my parts car is outside and it was hot and it rained a bit while I was doing this (not while I was inside the car, only when I was half in and half out). Murphy snickered all the while.

I took the driver's seat out in the parts car because I needed the plastic guide that the lap belt goes through to replace the broken one on my car.

Murphy must have found a more attractive victim because he left for a while.

I replaced the retractors without incident and decided since I already had this much apart, to replace the burned out light under the shift lever quadrant

You'd think that 4 Phillips screws wouldn't be a big deal but Murphy had sneaked back in and one of them was stripped — not the threads mind you, the HEAD! How often do you see a stripped head on a Phillips screw? Murphy roared.

With the help of a lot of cussing, I got the screw out, swiped one from the parts car, replaced the light bulb and put everything back together.

Everything worked!

I put up my tools (yes,I counted them), squared away the shop and got in the car to drive it out.

I discovered that I'd neglected to thread the shoulder belt through the plastic guide between the seat and the console!

Since there was no safety issue, I decided to mess with that 'next time'.

As I drove out of the shop, Murphy shot me a sloppy salute accompanied by maniacal laughter and vanished. . .
There's a reason we call it Murphy's law rather than Murphy's theory. Many reasons, actually.
allnines'
Second Gear

Post by allnines' »

sold my '03 outback last week-picked up a '96 impreza wagon (red-not blue!-my first impreza) it's the closest I'll have to a first gen leggy -2.2 w/5 speed. Needs a ton of work-but it will be a fun car.
Legacys are like potato chips-you can't stop at one!
aredub2
First Gear

Post by aredub2 »

Bath time.Image

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
aredub2
First Gear

Post by aredub2 »

Swapped basket over to SS and loaded up for road trip.ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk