Tyler's Legacy SS.... under an impreza shell

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

bmxpunk
Third Gear

Re: Tyler's Legacy SS.... under an impreza shell

Post by bmxpunk »

Just to make sure I am reading that correctly, the head is 127.5mm thick and the service limit of 0.3mm. if my head is thinner than 127.2mm its shot?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
2011 Mini Countryman S All4
1970 Honda Ct90
2001 Forester S of Doom - mowed down by a Cummins
1994/5/6/01/02/03/04/06/07/08 Impregacy OUtback SS STi Type R money pit- NEW RALLYCAR!!
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

bmxpunk wrote:Just to make sure I am reading that correctly, the head is 127.5mm thick and the service limit of 0.3mm. if my head is thinner than 127.2mm its shot?

That's a correct interpretation.
93 impreza rally muffin
93 legacy ss Tarmac Terminator
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
killajamal wrote:Dank is actually German for "silly term which the kids have come up with to describe exceptionally choice marijuana.''
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

Time to get back after it. Due to the service I received here in town, machine work is being done in Colorado which unfortunately has added to time and cost.
I went to see a Murder by Death/ Devil Makes Three concert in Denver this weekend and I picked up my crankshaft on my way through. Since the shop strictly does crankshaft work, I have high hopes. I also picked up a new(er) Mini from a Subaru dealer (blashemy?).

When I pulled the block apart this winter, one rod journal was a thousandth out of round so I had it cleaned up and nitrided.

So tonight I spent my time measuring journal sizes so I can sort out bearings this week.

Main journals front to back

Rod Journals front to back

1970 Honda Ct90
1994/5/6/01/02/03/04/06/07/08 Impregacy OUtback SS STi Type R money pit- NEW RALLYCAR!!
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

Hmm I just found the factory service manual and both journals appear to be ground outside the useable limit.

Fantastic. [emoji849]

1970 Honda Ct90
ride_child
Third Gear

Post by ride_child »

can you use oversize bearings?
Kris

'91 Mica White SS - R.I.P.
'88 White RX Turbo sedan - SOLD
'91 Black SS - SOLD
'93 Silver Turbo Wagon - Hibernation/Project Mode
'91 Black Camry Alltrac - R.I.P.
'09 DGM Forester XT Limited - Daily
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

ride_child wrote:can you use oversize bearings?
Subaru oversize doesn't seem to be thick enough. I'll have to call around tomorrow.

1970 Honda Ct90
ride_child
Third Gear

Post by ride_child »

are you saying subaru oem oversize or aftermarket oversize for subaru? i know acl and king both make oversize bearings for subarus
Kris

'91 Black SS - SOLD
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

ride_child wrote:are you saying subaru oem oversize or aftermarket oversize for subaru? i know acl and king both make oversize bearings for subarus
I called King and they don't go far enough undersized. King and oem down, on to ACL now I guess.

Of anything I have done to this car, bearing clearances are probably the thing that I'm the most nervous on and can find the least firm direction on. And it's worse now that the crank has been ground, especially since I think it's been ground too far. I'd definitely appreciate any input that's out there.

1970 Honda Ct90
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Just an FYI, the stock non-turbo 2.2 has the same crank so you could pick up a good used non-turbo 2.2 crank and use that. That would eliminate the bearing concerns. I know it'd be some more polishing and any other crank work you want done to it, but would eliminate the bearing oversizing.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

Legacy777 wrote:Just an FYI, the stock non-turbo 2.2 has the same crank so you could pick up a good used non-turbo 2.2 crank and use that. That would eliminate the bearing concerns. I know it'd be some more polishing and any other crank work you want done to it, but would eliminate the bearing oversizing.
Thanks.
I spent the week calling bearing suppliers. The guy at King had something going on in the back ground and wasn't really talking to me and finally said I don't think we have anything. I called ACL after and the tech guy just hung up on me.

I took the crank to the only good machinist in town (he's just a little slow, took a year to bore my block at the start of this fiasco years ago). He called me back Friday and said he had some bearings on the way that should be in the ball park and at least a good start toward correct clearances.

1970 Honda Ct90
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

Haven't made any progress myself. After ordering too many bearings I'm back to where I started.

I mis-measured and found the machine shop didn't grind past the factory limit but he did grind it enough that I can't get the clearances I want. Using King XP bearings 0.25mm I have 0.001-0.0011" of clearance for my rods, Which I assume is a little tight for my build. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Also the thrust bearings for King (and ACL) oversize bearings are wider than stock which I didn't know, and to be fair my local machine shop didn't either but he is primarily a V8 guy.

Lesson learned, should have purchased bearings then had the crank ground. Waiting to hear back from the crankshaft grinder to see if they can help me out.
1970 Honda Ct90
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The thing I've learned about rebuilding Subaru motors is that you need a machine shop that does Subaru motors. There are little things that come up that need to be done and not all machine shops know that.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

Back to making progress!

I think we have the crankshaft fiasco figured out now. I fit the bearings then pulled them and sent them off to be WPC treated.

Now the first round of parts is back from WPC. I had all the bottom end bearings, the oil pump, and the piston pins done so far. If you aren't familiar it's a process that is like micro shot peening that creates a stronger and slicker surface. Moto IQ swears by it and has avoided large repair bills because of the treatment even after being starved of oil.

1970 Honda Ct90
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Interesting. Is it very costly? Does it change bearing clearances?
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

It doesn't noticably change clearance. It is out to the 0.0000x"
I guess cost is up to interpretation. My hope is that with this done, service intervals and part reliability with be improved enough to offset the initial cost. This lot cost about $130 after shipping to process. I plan to send my crankshaft in when i get it back on Wednesday and I think that is around $100 to do. For comparison nitriding was $175.

I think I will also have my cams, the shaft, journal bearings and thrust washer done on my turbo at the same time.
beatersubi wrote:Interesting. Is it very costly? Does it change bearing clearances?
1970 Honda Ct90
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

A step closer today. I'm hoping this is the end of the crankshaft woes.

Received the crank back from WPC. It's really interesting, the journals actually feel smoother/slicker than polished. The bottom end is going to get balanced in the morning.

I started to clean up my cams from the rebuilt head debacle from last year. I took the cams to work and stuck them in the solvent tank. 1 came out still polished, 3 came out very dull, and I don't understand why. One of the cams almost looks black. Anyone have insight? Do I need to have something done to them now like polish or nitriding??

1970 Honda Ct90
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

That pirce seems very modest. Hope it works for you.
I wish I could give some insight into why the cams do that. Having worked at a cam shop though, I can say that it's not uncommon. Toyota cams were the worst about it. One would be bright and shiny and the next would look almost as dull as the core. After turning and cleaning, we would normally give them a quick finish with some scothbright, dunk them in protective oil and call it good. As long as the mains mic okay (which they always do in Subarus), the finish is nothing to worry about.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

beatersubi wrote:That pirce seems very modest. Hope it works for you.
I wish I could give some insight into why the cams do that. Having worked at a cam shop though, I can say that it's not uncommon. Toyota cams were the worst about it. One would be bright and shiny and the next would look almost as dull as the core. After turning and cleaning, we would normally give them a quick finish with some scothbright, dunk them in protective oil and call it good. As long as the mains mic okay (which they always do in Subarus), the finish is nothing to worry about.
Thanks! I did hit them with scotch bright and they seemed better.

Header came back from getting Coated this week. Hope it holds up, had one corner scuff up in shipping.

Now to start working on the heads. Thinking about replacing the valves with something that will hold up to anti lag. Haven't looked too hard yet but haven't found anything in a quick search. Image

1970 Honda Ct90
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

I tore into the passenger side head today. Wanted to see what was done or not done from the machine shop last summer. I thought a performance valve job would have different angles cut on those valves and the area at the seat would be much smaller. Am I wrong?

Since everything was apart I decided to go after the casting flash in sides of the ports and just behind the seats. I tried to take off the minimum amount of material that I could and ran the tool pretty slowly. Then I roughly blended those areas into the rest of the port. Im not looking to change much from stock just clean up. I ran across Prodrives flow numbers once and they were actually less than a stock head which I assume means port velocity is everything for an engine with a turbo restrictor. The one difference was Prodrive was able to make the dogleg port flow closer to the front ports.

While I was in there I tried to debur the entire head and smooth out the sharp edges and casting flash on inside of the head where coolant and oil flow.

1970 Honda Ct90
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

Haven't progressed to much with the heads yet. Life in a ski shop during winter [emoji849]

But the cams came back from being WPC treated today. That satin finish is tough to get used to.
This week I will get the up pipe off to be coated and I hope to find a source for some valves for the ej20g/k/ej25d heads. They aren't so easy to find it seems.

Hope to have everything back in time to make the most of my 4 days off at the end of the January. Image

1970 Honda Ct90
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I followed the advice in this thread for the valves in my ej20k heads, and ordered supertech valves:

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showth ... ?t=1752492
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
ride_child
Third Gear

Post by ride_child »

what do you do at a ski shop? im a pretty avid skiier and work part time as a lift op to get a free pass hahaha
Kris

'91 Black SS - SOLD
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

ride_child wrote:what do you do at a ski shop? im a pretty avid skiier and work part time as a lift op to get a free pass hahaha
I run a bike and ski shop in Wyoming. I have been doing this since 1999 since I was in highschool. It has its perks and it's extreme downsides. Someone else owns it but I do everything besides write the checks. Occasionally I even get to ride https://youtu.be/PkLv2NGXedE

I like it but my pay... Could be better. Especially considering the car hobby.[emoji1787] But I enjoy it, and 98% of the time I don't hate it. I've been lucky to have worked with athletes that went to world championships for bmx and the Paralympic Games in both Sochi and south korea for Nordic skiing and biathlon. Would be much cooler if I got to join them of course...

1970 Honda Ct90
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

Uppipe and turbine housing shipped off today for coatings.

Turbo will come back apart to have the the shaft and bearings WPC treated. Hopefully this video works so we can compare the difference on how it spins pre and post treatment.
http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5c381bb55c5 ... 162908.mp4

1970 Honda Ct90
ride_child
Third Gear

Post by ride_child »

nice! ive been skiing pretty much my whole life. 27 years now, i started when i was 3. i lived and worked at a ski resort near here, all year round. it was a fun life for a time but ultimately, not one i wanted to pursue any longer. so im totally familiar with the lifestyle haha
Kris

'91 Black SS - SOLD