Tyler's Legacy SS.... under an impreza shell

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Re: Tyler's Legacy SS.... under an impreza shell

Post by beatersubi »

Sure don't look like three-angle grinds, do they? Tumble along the port walls actually improves flow, so leave them rough. Also port cross-section area is directly related to tq production. So, for a smaller turbo, lower-revving engine... smaller ports are better.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

beatersubi wrote:Sure don't look like three-angle grinds, do they? Tumble along the port walls actually improves flow, so leave them rough. Also port cross-section area is directly related to tq production. So, for a smaller turbo, lower-revving engine... smaller ports are better.
Rough as in you wouldn't even clean up the casting flash? I wasn't going to open them up any more just knock down the flashing and run an 80grit so the surface looked the same.

This is this engines second set of heads. The previous heads I had ported and they were opened up a lot. The throttle response with them was pretty bad...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
2011 Mini Countryman S All4
1970 Honda Ct90
2001 Forester S of Doom - mowed down by a Cummins
1994/5/6/01/02/03/04/06/07/08 Impregacy OUtback SS STi Type R money pit- NEW RALLYCAR!!
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

bmxpunk wrote:
beatersubi wrote:Sure don't look like three-angle grinds, do they? Tumble along the port walls actually improves flow, so leave them rough. Also port cross-section area is directly related to tq production. So, for a smaller turbo, lower-revving engine... smaller ports are better.
Rough as in you wouldn't even clean up the casting flash? I wasn't going to open them up any more just knock down the flashing and run an 80grit so the surface looked the same.

This is this engines second set of heads. The previous heads I had ported and they were opened up a lot. The throttle response with them was pretty bad...

I can't imagine taking the flashing off could hurt. Definitely don't polish them. But again, with a small turbo and low redline, you'd want smaller ports for better response and tq output. It gets pretty subjective and theoretical right around this point.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

beatersubi wrote:
bmxpunk wrote:

I can't imagine taking the flashing off could hurt. Definitely don't polish them. But again, with a small turbo and low redline, you'd want smaller ports for better response and tq output. It gets pretty subjective and theoretical right around this point.
Yeah. I ran across Prodrive flow number of their heads last year. Like an idiot I didn't save or bookmark them. They definitely flowed less cfm than stock (especially on the intake side) so I assume velocity is key. I think the only other thing I noticed was the dogleg exhaust port flow number was closer to the straight port.

1970 Honda Ct90
1994/5/6/01/02/03/04/06/07/08 Impregacy OUtback SS STi Type R money pit- NEW RALLYCAR!!
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

Received the rotating assembly back this morning. It is completely balanced to within 0.2 gram.
I think that means everything can start going back together.

1970 Honda Ct90
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

Inconel exhaust valves arrived today from Supertech.  SEVI-1016 for anyone interested (ej25d/ej20g fitament)

Taking my sweet time cleaning up the ports without removing anymore material than needed.

Also ordered some new fuel rails. Not sure where opinion stands anymore on series vs parallel. Most of what I have seen lately seems to say at the 300 I'll be maxed out at, it just won't be worth it. I also wouldn't have considered new rails but the parallel fuel lines I made so long ago take up a lot of room and there's always the nagging worry of fire.

1970 Honda Ct90
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I looked at doing the parallel fuel rail mod and decided against it primarily due to the space. There just really isn't much room to do that modification without it taking up a lot more room. I think with a good flowing fuel pump and safe tuning the series setup should be fine.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

Legacy777 wrote:I looked at doing the parallel fuel rail mod and decided against it primarily due to the space. There just really isn't much room to do that modification without it taking up a lot more room. I think with a good flowing fuel pump and safe tuning the series setup should be fine.
I've been parallel since this was built but never saw a reason why it eclipsed the stock setup. And I agree it takes up so much real estate.

When you say good flowing, do you mean Walbro or something better?

1970 Honda Ct90
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, a Walbro 255 lph should be good up to 350-400 hp depending on your setup.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

The uppipe and turbine housing came back from Swaintech today. The Supertech intake valves should be here later this week and I can start figuring out springs, retainers, and buckets.

And just as things start coming together my co-driver was pushing someone's car over the weekend and snapped his Achilles tendon which I think has a super long recovery time. If it's not one thing...

1970 Honda Ct90
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Those valves are sexy! Coating looks good, too.
I'd be interested in before/after pictures of the ports, if you have any.
Sorry to hear about your co-driver. If you end up needing a co-driver and want to fly me out...
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

beatersubi wrote:Those valves are sexy! Coating looks good, too.
I'd be interested in before/after pictures of the ports, if you have any.
Sorry to hear about your co-driver. If you end up needing a co-driver and want to fly me out...
I appreciate it! Get the car running first and I'll go from there.
Had about 1:15 minutes of free time today so I started to clean up the intake manifold. I didnt figure I would have time to finish the heads, but maybe later this week.

Start with a before and after. New fuel rails mocked up, but I need to do something different with at least 1 fitting and probably the line, but it's a good bit cleaner.

I think I can reroute some of the harness as well to have the 3 main electrical connectors at the rear of the engine. This makes sense since I already to the main harness out of the front fender and coming through the fire wall so it won't get taken out by a shredded tire or a fender crushing incident.

According to the tuner I got my ecu from, I will remove the piping from the turbo inlet to the IAC for 2 reasons. The first being I now have a Prodrive style motorsport turbo inlet that has no additional attachments for pcv/IAC/bpv etc. Also the tuner said going from the cold side of the intercooler or charge pipe to the IAC which will double for idle and part of the anti-lag system.

1970 Honda Ct90
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

bmxpunk wrote:
According to the tuner I got my ecu from, I will remove the piping from the turbo inlet to the IAC for 2 reasons. The first being I now have a Prodrive style motorsport turbo inlet that has no additional attachments for pcv/IAC/bpv etc. Also the tuner said going from the cold side of the intercooler or charge pipe to the IAC which will double for idle and part of the anti-lag system.
I find this interesting. Does having post-turbo air move through the IAC provide that much more volume? Or eliminate the potential of having manifold pressure feed back through the IAC to pre-turbo.

That fuel rail looks a lot more concise.
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

beatersubi wrote:
bmxpunk wrote:
I find this interesting. Does having post-turbo air move through the IAC provide that much more volume? Or eliminate the potential of having manifold pressure feed back through the IAC to pre-turbo.

That fuel rail looks a lot more concise.

I didn't ask much regarding the IAC/ALS setup at the time of ordering my ecu so I will have to revisit those questions soon. I wouldn't think the IAC would have enough volume buy maybe along with barely cracking the throttle plate open possibly??

The Prodrive Mini rallycross car has about the closest I have seen to that setup, though it's more like 2 parallel throttle bodies. At fist I thought 1 tb just sent air from the charge pipe to the turbine side but you can see the piping goes right back into the charge pipe headed to the intake manifold. Photo below from Received Engine Tech's sister magazine Rally Technology.

I also realized I need to figure out PCV now that the stock setup isn't really an option. I know have a vent in each valve cover, the big vent (return?) on the rear of the block, and the pcv valve in the intake manifold just below the throttle body.
1970 Honda Ct90
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

That dual TB almost looks like something out of a Ford. I might have to subscribe to that magazine.

You considering a catch can? With as much time is spend in positive manifold pressure, it's probably a good idea.
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

Been a while since I’ve been here, but still cranking away.

Long block is finally back together. Got dual spring/titanium retainer valvetrain from Gtmotorsports UK who used to be the engine builder for Prodrive. Now sizing valve lash so I can order a full batch of shimless buckets and have one less thing to worry about.

Hope to paint the car by mid August at which time the wiring harness should be finished up.

How do we upload pics now? Back on tapatalk?
1970 Honda Ct90
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

bmxpunk wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:38 am Been a while since I’ve been here, but still cranking away.

Long block is finally back together. Got dual spring/titanium retainer valvetrain from Gtmotorsports UK who used to be the engine builder for Prodrive. Now sizing valve lash so I can order a full batch of shimless buckets and have one less thing to worry about.

Hope to paint the car by mid August at which time the wiring harness should be finished up.

How do we upload pics now? Back on tapatalk?
Good to hear from you and an update.

As for pics you need to use an image hosting service or you can upload via tapatalk.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

Where to begin? Had intake manifold blasted because the white was looking bad. After I figure out how much needs ground off to make room for the turbo inlet and restrictor I will either polish it or coat it red this time.

In case you didn’t know, the shimless buckets from the exhaust side of the outback’s 3.0R engine fit perfectly in a Ej20k cylinder head. I bought 2 to take measurements and now have 16 (hopefully correct) buckets headed to me which will be WPC treated before final assembly.

Speaking of WPC treatment, my entire rotating assembly, cams and all cam caps were treated. It’s a little strange looking at matte colored parts, but they feel so much smoother when assembled even without lubrication.
Wiring is being run through I hope for the final time. After lots of laying things out and measuring, this engine harness should be more the size of the yellow rope I made up laying on top of it. Chassis harness is also being thinned covered and rerouted. There will be no main harness running through the fenders anymore to avoid any failures from flat tires of encounters with hard objects.

And since no wiring will run though the fenders, we’ll close off some areas from water and dirt ingress.
Hoping to paint by October and in the mean time I have added some weld nuts for underbody protection on the bottom, along the sills, and in the wheel wells.
Did I ever share my Coates cylinder heads and Supertech valves?
Fuji racing Products has some valve cover breathers with -AN fittings.

They also make a sandwich adapter with a thermostat that works with the spec-c twinscroll headers. Now I just need to figure what size and where to put the cooler.

The next major concern will be cooling, oil cooling, and intercooling. I’ve had ideas of doing things similar to the s6 wrc car or the more modern side by side radiator/intercooler approach to keep each coolant path clear and in clean air. But I would like to use something from a road car to make finding spares a bit easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1970 Honda Ct90
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Excellent update and good to see you making progress!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

Well after having my gallbladder removed then catching and beating covid, I’m a few weeks behind where I want to be.

More work underneath as I had to make a couple patches for some areas of gravel-rash but I also finished with the pin stands in the sills.

I’ve started welding up the holes for the trim. Image

Started to clean up the firewall. I’ll be moving all brake lines, the wiring (once it returns), battery cables.
Old brake lines:
Brake reroute. Was trying to run bulk head fittings straight from the cab into the wheel wells, but I think they will be too close to the tire on full compression for that to work.

Converting the fuel injectors to top feed with some Radium fuel rails. Will be in the market for some Injector Dynamics 1050’s which should give me plenty of head room for running e85 or race gas or even low boost with pump fuel in conjunction with the 34mm restrictor on the turbo.

I’m pushing really hard to get paint in the car because it’s supposed to snow here anyway now.

1970 Honda Ct90
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

Coming along nicely!
93 impreza rally muffin
93 legacy ss Tarmac Terminator
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
killajamal wrote:Dank is actually German for "silly term which the kids have come up with to describe exceptionally choice marijuana.''
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

Thanks!

Intake manifold is off being powder coated now. I ran out of free time trying to polish it.

I’ve been seam welding and covering the highly abused areas like wheel wheels, bottom, and sills with POR15. It will really just be back up though as I’ve added weld nuts to the bottom and the sills to add protection. I’d like to do Kevlar but some uhmw-pe sheets will be cheaper and should still work fine. Image

I did my best to fab up some supports for the fender after welding them up. Image

Purchased primer yesterday and hoping for a day off next week after I get some sanding done this week.

Still needing harness help. Pretty upset at this point because the guy I sent my wiring off to has had it for 11 months and has nearly stopped communication with me. Looking at some different options to hopefully separate and streamline engine and body wiring. But that will put me behind again. Was hoping to run sno-drift but I think that’s out now.

1970 Honda Ct90
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

If you can get your harness back, maybe check out i-wire.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

Legacy777 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:27 pm If you can get your harness back, maybe check out i-wire.
I spoke to I wire first. Because I touched my harness first, they won’t touch it, which I understand. They don’t know what they would be getting in to and I guess I did my merge a touch different than they usually do, at least that’s what he told me.

I-wire does have a new fuse/relay box that gets rid of the factory fuse box and takes care of all the relays for the fan, coils, fuels pump, etc. That along with another relay box to run the chassis is looking pretty good to me and I may pull the trigger on that if I can get ahold of the guy with my harness.
1970 Honda Ct90
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah...that may be the better option.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT