Parting Out 92 Legacy SS Auto

Got something for sale? Need to sell a part? Got some stuff on auction that you want to let us know about?

(Legacy Central BBS is not responsible for any arbitration between its users relative to this forum.
Play nice and deal straight)

Moderators: Helpinators2, Moderators

Forum rules
Please see the NEW Parts Shed Rules before posting: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewto ... 15&t=55814

Sales of parts and parting cars only. Complete or parted car posts should be made in Car Lot: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewforum.php?f=32
Larry Witherspoon
First Gear

Re: Parting Out 92 Legacy SS Auto

Post by Larry Witherspoon »

CRAP - i just realized this whole big theory of the universe thing i wrote a couple of nites ago never made it onto the board. It was pretty late and i must have been half asleep by the time i finished. This will teach me - AGAIN - to always back up with a copy somewhere till i know i'm good. I will try to recreate it again from memory, which may be the silver lining since i see now i gave some wrong info. Interested parties try to hang with me while i tackle this, it's kind of dry. 

The ebay coolant reservoir tank CAP part number 45153AA000, and stated superseded part number  45153AA010, are not supported by the factory parts manual as an applicable cap for the BC-BF turbo cars. 

The ebay cap part number 45153AA000 in the parts manual is given as APPLICABLE for all BC-BF MY 90 cars, EXCEPT the turbo and right hand drive cars. (there were no 90 MY turbo cars).

The ebay shown superseded part number 45153AA010, is given in the manual as only applicable for "L" and "LS" trim for SOME MY 93 and all MY 94 cars.  

The Subaru parts manual only shows 45153AA001 as the applicable tank cap, on a separate page for Manual Trans turbo cars, and another separate page for Auto Trans turbo cars. 

45153AA001 is also given in the manual as an applicable cap for MY 91, 92 and SOME 93 "L" and "LS" trim autos, and all right hand drive cars.

I may be leaving some trim cars out, but that is the meat off the cap.  

So why should caps be different anyway?  You would think a stupid cap would be the same across the board right?  You might be thinking wrong. 

First off, like the caps, the coolant reservoir tanks are not all the same. 

The tank part numbers are 45151AA000, 45151AA001 and 45151AA060 for all the diff Model Year cars EXCEPT the turbo cars.

The tank for ALL the turbo cars is 45151AA040, given ONLY on the two separate parts manual pages reserved for the turbo manual trans, and turbo auto trans coolant systems !!!

OK maybe there is some difference in plumbing and fittings to accommodate the induced coolant temperature flow in and out of that little coolant filler tank on top of the turbo cars.  Or maybe a tighter fitting cap due to higher pressure created in the lines open to that little filler tank, or.....??? (your guess here) 

But let me give you an example of unexpected weirdness i ran into while on an expedition to figure out the Turbo Legacy power antenna, written up somewhere else on this site.  You would think a power antenna mast is the same across all model years, and trim levels right?  Again you would think wrong. 

The BC sedan radio is a Motorola and the BF wagon radio is a Panasonic. 

The sedan radio power antenna assembly is given as one part number, and includes the motor and mast. 

The wagon came a year after the sedan and the radio power antenna assembly consists of two part numbers; the motor assembly and the mast assembly, and is from a different supplier than the one for the sedan.

The sedan motor / mast assembly uses a mast with a toothed cable for the motor take up reel. 

The wagon uses a mast with a smooth cable with a little ball on the end that catches a notch in the motor take up reel, and is not interchangeable with the sedan motor.

Unexpected weirdness can strike at any time from any direction when you think you know how things work.

I learned all that the hard way !  

Just sayin'...
Larry Witherspoon
ssspoon@aol.com
Torrance (Los Angeles)
92 Turbo Legacy Wagon
310-429-4269
Mark3521
In Neutral

Post by Mark3521 »

Looking for a bulkhead harness if it’s still around. Thanks in advance.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Just an FYI for those following this thread, there was a glitch in the matrix and Larry's post above Mark's wasn't showing up. I got it to show up now, but not sure why or how it exactly got messed up in the first place.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Larry,

By the way, that eBay coolant tank cap is the same as what's on my 90 Legacy and will fit your 92.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Larry Witherspoon
First Gear

Thank you Josh - I guess 27 years (exactly to the day) working in military aircraft quality assurance for McDonnell Douglas which became Boeing, and dealing with very strict controls in what is called part number "configuration management", has given me part number paranoia on the brain for everything!
Larry Witherspoon
ssspoon@aol.com
Torrance (Los Angeles)
92 Turbo Legacy Wagon
310-429-4269
scoobiedoo22
First Gear

Post by scoobiedoo22 »

Larry,

Your sleuth like skills have served you well. I double checked this past week and the caps are indeed as you stated in your writeup...specific for the sport sedans/touring wagons. I never really noticed the details between our overflow tanks and all those n/a year/makes/models out there but the turbos have an additional elbow and small 90 deg drain hose to deal with any overflow of the reservoir. Nice work sticking with this. I will pm you and we can work out a price and shipping if you are still interested.

Here is the SS

Image20190522_133129 by J King, on Flickr

This is from my 2.5RS

Image20190522_133145 by J King, on Flickr
1991 Legacy SS 5-Speed

1999 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

For what it's worth you could use either cap. :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Larry Witherspoon
First Gear

Hey John -

Is by any chance your complete steering column available ?
Larry Witherspoon
ssspoon@aol.com
Torrance (Los Angeles)
92 Turbo Legacy Wagon
310-429-4269
Sublimejoe
Third Gear

Post by Sublimejoe »

Do you still have the auto tranny? Willing to cut the harness off of it for me?
Parts Needed:

Manual Cluster
Front & Rear bumper Chrome Trim
SWRT
Third Gear

Post by SWRT »

Any chance the passenger rear brake shield is still in good shape?
scoobiedoo22
First Gear

Post by scoobiedoo22 »

SWRT, from all my subie experience the rear backers rust out at about the same rate as the wheel wells so my guess is they are beyond really salvaging. Dorman does offer new brake shield as a more cost effective alternative to OEM that has been covered here on the bbs. IIRC, the Dorman's mounting holes need to be elongated a bit to work but they work.
1991 Legacy SS 5-Speed

1999 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe