Standalone Ecu question for the OGs

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

91Legacyresto
First Gear

Standalone Ecu question for the OGs

Post by 91Legacyresto »

Some of you might have seen me posting on here every so often. Mainly with questions. This one is for the few of you that have applied a standlone to our cars. So i have the ecu all wired up and its working great. Ecu i went with is a Speedyefi fishdog or otherwise known as a UA4C board.

My interest persist with the VE table or fuel map. Little background of the motor...22e block, 25d heads, vf28 turbo, diamomd coil pack, and 550cc sti yellow tops. I believe my ve table is pretty far off. I was trying to start the car today and kept getting sputters but not a solid start at all. Watching my afr im not sure if im getting closer or farther. It is my first time tuning from scratch with 550cc injectors and wanted to see if anyone had a similar setup to help me dial in the fuel to at least get the car started.

Sadly towards the end of me actually trying. The battery started to die off. Tunerstudio started off seeing a voltage of 11.8v at testing, and ended up at 10.3v which turned into 8v while cranking. Definitely not enough voltage to continue testing. I dont have a battery charger so its a little annoying taking it in just about everyday to get it charged. Ive only been trying to start it for today. All the other times, i was testing outputs on the ecu and solving small wire gremlins. So there shouldnt be any wire gremlins anywhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. There isnt too much info out there on this and it's a bit hard finding ve maps as a small reference. I know the tuning community is heavily guarded but im trying to work my way in lol.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

91 LS Turbo Project
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Standalone Ecu question for the OGs

Post by Legacy777 »

Well....I wish I had a bunch of good information to share with you...but I'm not sure how helpful it will be.

One of the challenges with stand alone setups is that every company is slightly different so unless the fuel maps are normalized or referenced to some standardized value in some way they're just numbers. I can give you the numbers for my fuel tables, but they won't really mean anything. The best case scenario would be you are able to work out idle and small low rpm range and then compare that against my table and scale my numbers to around where your values are. This would give you at least a starting point.

From my stand alone ECU journey I've learned that tuning is much more or an art form. I understand all the technical details and what needs to happen to making it takes something more than I have the skills currently or that I care to learn.....which is why I compare it to art.

My suggestion at this point is to first get yourself a battery charger. Then work on trying to at least get the car to idle. Do you have any values or numbers to use as a starting point? If not I'd go back back to the company you got the ECU and see if they at least have a generic starting map you can use if not something a little more specific to Subaru.

Next question...do you have a wideband O2 sensor? If you don't, I wouldn't bother doing any further than getting the car to idle and then take it somewhere to be tuned.

My other highly recommended feedback is find out what tuners the ECU company recommends or what tuners in your area use this ECU and software pretty regularly and are very familiar with the tuning software. That was a big lesson learned for me. I went through two tuners here in Texas before driving out to California to take the car to Fineline Imports who was Link's US distributor and intimately familiar with the software. The difference was night and day.

Again, I wish I had better news/recommendations. I'm happy to help and provide you what I have for my car but I'm unsure how it would help with your setup. Can you share a link of the ECU company's website and/or tuning software download link. Do you have a base map you can share? Does the software allow offline tuning/review of the ECU map?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
91Legacyresto
First Gear

Post by 91Legacyresto »

The software im using is Tunerstudio to tune the ecu. I have just about every option all the bigger companys do as far as tuning the car goes. I can view and modify my maps offline, take data logs, and change variables in real time with the motor running.

I definitely should go pick up a battery charger. I was getting pretty damn close last night to getting her to start. I think one of my bigger issues was my crank advance angle isnt set quite right. Also i dont think my iacv was moving last night either (i had it set to closed loop instead of open loop control). I changed the iacv tables values and raised them all to see if i can get it to start now. Waiting for the battery to charge up first before i can do more test.

My ecu does come with a basemap and i was playing around with it last night. Im sure what the basemaps VE table is scaled to as far as injector size goes. I think its scaled to around 280 or 300cc injectors as it starts off as an NA map i believe. It was my first try last night. Theres definitely a few more things i can try to work it out. The input is still greatly appreciated. I want to be able to make this cars tune a decent base tune for anyone whos NA and went turbo like i did and want to use the 550 yellow tops. For my ECU only being $300, its a damn cheap option for nice engine control. If youre interested in the ecu in using, its from a company called SpeedyEFI. They have just about all the features all the expensive big company's have except for knock feedback. But EFI analytics is working on a firmware update to bring it in. The ecu already has a knock sensor input which i have already wired up as well. Just patiently waiting for the firmware update to Tunerstudio.

Ill let you guys know how well it turns out. Ill have all weekend to play around with it now. Eventually ill have a full build log to put up.

91 LS Turbo Project
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Can you email me your map to review?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

91Legacyresto
First Gear

Post by 91Legacyresto »

I dont see why not. I haven't shared any of my tune info through email but im sure i can figure it out. I can probably just post some pictures on here too if you'd rather prefer that. I went ahead and set my iacv duty cycle to 50 across the whole table to help myself try to get it started up. All enrichments and any fuel additives have been zerod out too.

I tried to use the ve table generator in TS. It's suppose to give you a decent starting point to at least get the car started. But im not too sure how much i want to trust it. If my current ve table won't get her started then ill try the generators table just to see. Im using the 36-2-2-2 gear as well for simplicity reasons. Subaru 6/7 has been proven to be finicky and takes a lot of time to get it to run. And i believe the subaru diamond coil packs spark output is also "going high" just like if you have an ignitor which i already deleted in favor of the diamond coil

91 LS Turbo Project
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I would need the actual map file to open in the software. Save and send the map over if you'd like me to take a look.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT