WTB: 4EAT FWD

Got something for sale? Need to sell a part? Got some stuff on auction that you want to let us know about?

(Legacy Central BBS is not responsible for any arbitration between its users relative to this forum.
Play nice and deal straight)

Moderators: Helpinators2, Moderators

Forum rules
Please see the NEW Parts Shed Rules before posting: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewto ... 15&t=55814

Sales of parts and parting cars only. Complete or parted car posts should be made in Car Lot: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewforum.php?f=32
Coyote
In Neutral

WTB: 4EAT FWD

Post by Coyote »

The vehicle is a '94 Legacy L Wagon.

The official diagnosis, delivered today, is that the transmission is "fried", rebuild kits/parts are not available anywhere near nor at a cost comparable to a used unit.

Subarus are a very rare breed in this part of Texas (Bryan/College Station) or any other part that I can find and wrecking yards simply don't have them.

I've located several 4EATs at B&R wrecking out of Oregon for anywhere from about $600-850, delivered to the shop here.

Anyone who knows of other sources would do me a large favor by letting me know. If you have one for sale,I'd also like to hear from you.

Also, any experience/recommendations regarding B&R Wrecking would be most welcome as well as opinions/comments as to costs and whether or not I'm crazy to put this baby back on the road.

I'm 76 years old and I've had more cars in my life, starting with a 1950 Pontiac, than you want know about. Of them all, these Legacys are my all time favorites.

Any and all thoughts will be appreciated.
Any 20 minute job is only one broken bolt away from a three day disaster. . .
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: WTB: 4EAT FWD

Post by Legacy777 »

Hi there,

If this was 15 years or so ago I would say you could have had the 4EAT out of my Legacy when I did my AWD & 5MT swap, but that transmission is long gone.

I think finding something out of the Pacific Northwest area (WA & OR) is probably your best bet. How many miles are on those used transmissions?

It's unfortunately becoming more difficult to keep these cars on the road due to the inability to find parts. If you're on Facebook there are some first generation Legacy groups you may also want to try.

Good luck with the search and hopefully you can find something to keep your Legacy on the road!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Coyote
In Neutral

Post by Coyote »

Thanks for the reply Josh.

I've been trying to post for a couple of days now, but my internet has been up and down like a toilet seat in a co-ed bathroom. . .

I've decided to go with a used one out of Oregon. It's almost a joke that the shipping is nearly as much as the transmission.

They don't have info on mileage, but they do have photos of the vehicle it came out of. I figure if the vehicle was obviously in a crash, chances are that the transmission wasn't the cause. And, as you pointed out, parts this old are rare enough that I consider myself fortunate to find them at all.

We shall see. . .
Any 20 minute job is only one broken bolt away from a three day disaster. . .
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Well good luck with things and keep us updated on how things turn out.

Any chance did they send you or could they provide you the VIN of the car it came out of? With that we can figure out the year/model it came from.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

..I'm late to this post but for others that may end up here - The Impreza from '93-'95 also had a FWD only option: http://www.cars101.com/impreza_archive93_96.html

And with the FWD the FD ratio doesn't matter since it doesn't have to match the rear differential's.

In addition to the VIN, the ID TAG on the transmission (if still present) can be 'googled' for info. Automatics start with TZ; Manuals = TY.

Hi Josh - (so) done with the hurricanes coming by too close?
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

wtdash wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:58 pm
Hi Josh - (so) done with the hurricanes coming by too close?
Yeah, I hope we're done with them :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT