1991 legacy turbo 4eat to manual

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Garbels90
In Neutral

1991 legacy turbo 4eat to manual

Post by Garbels90 »

hey guys so I finally have time to dive into this project.
I was just wondering what transmissions have worked well against the ej22t that originally had a automatic transmission.
And maybe even which pedals people have ran with the swap.
Let me know looking forward to getting started!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 1991 legacy turbo 4eat to manual

Post by Legacy777 »

The turbo specific 5MT's might be a little better than the non-turbo 5MT's, but I think it's mostly anecdotal evidence at this point vs. hard numbers.

Regarding the pedals, the question is do you want to go with a hydraulic clutch setup or a cable setup. Some of the newer pedals may not have all the same bolt holes, but others have made them work. Let's see what other feedback you may get on here. Otherwise I might suggest you check out some of the first gen legacy Facebook groups. Here's one I'd recommend. https://www.facebook.com/groups/104954740022433/
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Re: 1991 legacy turbo 4eat to manual

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

FWIW, when I swapped my '91SS I got a donor manual SS to get the various tranny mounts, pedals, master/slave cylinders, etc. I ran that 5 speed until it grenaded 2nd, then put in the tranny and matching rear diff from an '06 WRX (along with slave cylinder and anything else that was necessary).
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS