Wheel Bearings

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

jdeiss
In Neutral

Wheel Bearings

Post by jdeiss »

Hi,

So I've replaced my rear wheel bearings, when I got them on they seemed stiff (resistance to rotation), that was before I started tightening the axle nut. I've snugged the axle nut down and they are even more stiff to rotate, if I'm using my hands at the wheel studs its quite difficult (No disc brake on these yet), if I throw the wheel on it turns but I would say with more resistance that I'd think it should have. They feel smooth when I rotate them though so I'm wondering if this "normal" with all the fresh seals etc and it'll loosen up. Anyone have experience with this situation? The bearings are conical roller bearings.

The hubs are new too. Is there only one hub for these cars? I'm wondering if shaft the inner bearing races go onto is too short that'd mess things up.

I can't really say I remember exactly how the old ones were, but they did not give this much resistance to rotation.

Thanks!
arse_sidewards
First Gear

Re: Wheel Bearings

Post by arse_sidewards »

New bearings should have noticeable resistance (especially with all the seals in there).

They should be stiff but not crunchy stiff. Like they shouldn't free-wheel more than a fraction of a turn if you bolt a tire on and spin it but you should be able to spin the tire by hand after torquing the axle nut. The CV tends to have a decent amount of resistance at full droop so that's probably adding to it as well.

Just torque it to spec and you'll be fine.
'93, '93 and '94 Legacy L, wagons, FWD and AWD, all are NA 2.2 w/ 4EAT.
jdeiss
In Neutral

Re: Wheel Bearings

Post by jdeiss »

Thanks,

Good point about the CV, didn't think about that. I suppose if its wrong I'll have to redo it now or later.