Late PH1 EJ22 Grey Top injectors, any info?

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

mellow65
First Gear

Late PH1 EJ22 Grey Top injectors, any info?

Post by mellow65 »

Greetings, man it's been a hot minute since I've been on here. :)

I have a question about some injectors I pulled from a parts engine, it was a 96-97 legacy 2.2 and they came with grey top injectors.

All my searching tells me there were really early grey tops, then red tops for a long time, but no one really talks about the later grey tops. It looks like they were standard issue in the early 1.8 and 2.2 imprezas.

Does anyone have any information about these? Mainly flow rates.

I'm looking to replace some red top injectors in my 94, and the fact the later grey tops are almost half the cost of the red tops new, makes me wonder what the specs are on them. I'm trying to avoid ending up with something with a lower fuel rate, and I can not find any real information about these injectors. I did at least see some people running the grey tops in place of the red tops, so I do at least know it's possible.

THANKS!!!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Late PH1 EJ22 Grey Top injectors, any info?

Post by Legacy777 »

I’d have to look if I have any specific details but I would assume they’d be similar in flow. However, the bigger issue is each type of injector has a specific latency or dead time associated with it. There is no guarantee that latency is the same between the red or grey tops. I’ve experienced difference between just the first gen Legacies and they are supposed to have the same flow rate.

I’d really suggest sticking with the red tops that match your ECU and the pre-programmed latencies.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
mellow65
First Gear

Post by mellow65 »

Yeah I guess that would make the most sense. I was hoping to send out some red top injectors to get rebuilt and swap them out. Guess I need to go hit the junkyard. thank!!!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You're welcome!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm