engine crank won't start and Injectors won't pulse,

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

yazmo
Third Gear

engine crank won't start and Injectors won't pulse,

Post by yazmo »

Hello everyone im mickael i just had an issue today or i shall say 2 hours ago the car was on idle for like 10 mins and it's stall on it's own
try to start it but now it won't start, engine crank but nothing we had to push it back in the garage and damn this is heavy.

We have checked at the fuel filter I see a lot or pressure, unglug a sparkplug wire dint see any spark, it was very dark so we will check some other day, but if you have some idea to point out, it's a legacy 1993 turbo, it always as start perfectly fine but suddenly ts just stop while running on idle, the fuel pump seem to work at last i hear prime up on start let me know and I'm sorry it's my English is not that great and neither is my mechanic skill xD
I have a spare igniter from a legacy turbo 1994 i dunno if i can use it number almost the same with some difference, is there a risk trying it out? i was on my old legacy 1994 turbo!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: engine crank won't start and Injectors won't pulse,

Post by Legacy777 »

Hi Mickael,

I would try and confirm that you have spark. Check more than one plug.

I would check the coil pack and ignitor using the instructions here:
https://main.experiencetherave.com/suba ... cktest.jpg

Let us know what you find out.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

JC probably knows for sure, but I think the ECU/ECM needs to sense spark for the injectors to pulse.

Good luck
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
yazmo
Third Gear

Post by yazmo »

I got it fixed, the igniter was busted, and it had water in it and the wiring plug, we did remove the plastic and the wiper to repaint them and we had a significant rain somehow water got in the engine bay. lucky me I had a spare one!
Now I need to fix the wiring for the headlight flush the brake fluid, fix some loose clamps and pass the inspection
get a new battery somehow mine was dead as well, ill retest the replacement igniter when it's dry, to double-check if it was really bad

Do you guys know a way procedure to find out what could cause a battery to drain out?
The only thing I know we did is to use hardware to supposedly recharge the battery with the lighter plug, but it did the opposite it seems.
Or maybe it was weak and somehow it was mainly working on the alternator, which I am thinking to look for a new one.

thx, you all from the bottom of my heart for me helping me out! this forum has always been such a great place to be in!
Michael
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

HI, how long was the battery sitting in the car - not being used? If it was connected in the car to positive and ground (earth) and wasn't being used the battery will drain/discharge. It can be damaged and won't take a charge, depending on how long it was there without being charged periodically.
TD
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
yazmo
Third Gear

Post by yazmo »

somehow i could post my reply getting an internal server error maybe because it too long trying this short one!
yea it was the reason! decide to try this to next day! i let you know if something else go wrong thx guys
Last edited by yazmo on Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yazmo
Third Gear

Post by yazmo »

friend decide to plug that little thing that charge the battery plug in 110V to the lighter plug and it supposes to charge the battery came back 16 hours later with my spare part igniter as well and coil pack and the battery was not good. so we did start the car using a booster pack and changed the igniter so far it cranks and starts but stall because we had many unplug vacuum hoses, but i think we fix it.

now we're waiting for a battery and tomorrow reassembly all the hoses etc...

I suspected something wiring because when i brought the car several years ago it had a wiring issue with the headlight that was burned,
I do not have the original plug for the bulb the wiring was modified maybe they just touch each I brought the car like this
also the wire fuse was broken I did change and we have redone the headlight wiring so they don't touch anymore
I still have to do a correct job I have order h3 plug for the bulbs and shrinks which i don't need to solder

like I said the car as to pass an inspection before hitting the road
but they told me they won't check the engine and transmission mostly light brake condition et... tire clearance which right now is a problem
As I have like 2 mm in the rear for the strut, I have made a post in the tire and brake section recently about it.
also brake fluid change because they are way too spongy
ill let you know once something come up again it will surely do here some of the parts i have plus many more

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

To check for a short which would cause the battery to drain you need a multi meter that measures amps. You would need to disconnect the negative terminal of the battery and connect one end of the meter to the negative post on the batter and the other end of the meter to the negative battery chassis wiring/connector. You would then read how much amps are being pulled. If it's above an amp or so you likely have an issue. You would then start pulling fuses and see if the amps changes significantly. Keep doing this until you find the circuit with the large amp draw and inspect the wiring/end devices.

You should do this testing with the car off and doors shut so the cabin lights are not on.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

yazmo
Third Gear

Post by yazmo »

Legacy777 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:57 am To check for a short which would cause the battery to drain you need a multi meter that measures amps. You would need to disconnect the negative terminal of the battery and connect one end of the meter to the negative post on the batter and the other end of the meter to the negative battery chassis wiring/connector. You would then read how much amps are being pulled. If it's above an amp or so you likely have an issue. You would then start pulling fuses and see if the amps changes significantly. Keep doing this until you find the circuit with the large amp draw and inspect the wiring/end devices.

You should do this testing with the car off and doors shut so the cabin lights are not on.
excellent on my next stop at the garage I will try this out and let you guys know.
Once again thx you for the valuable info!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You're welcome!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT