Car starts and the shuts off

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

BoOdOg
In Neutral

Car starts and the shuts off

Post by BoOdOg »

Hey last couple days my winter beater has turn over and the shut right off. I believe it's getting full power as everything comes on fine. The car has new plugs about a month ago but wires might be couple years old. Anyway what happens is car turns over fine the shuts right off. If I keep trying the car this will happen about 5-10 times then it will turn over and be fine. Car doesn't buch while running just is hard to get started.

This problem has only really start since we got alot of rain. It was rainning this morning and the car did it before I came to work. I am just wondering what it could be. I am figuring it probably the distributer cap either loose or getting wet. Someone said it was probably a bad wire just wondering some other opinions

*Also has been dry last two days and still happening. Seems be getting worse any ideas?
NuwanD
Second Gear

Post by NuwanD »

02 sensor or ignition coil? just some stabbing in the dark :)
Nuwan
1992 Open Class Legacy Turbo
2004 Forester XT
2000 Impreza 2.5RSC (Supercharged)
1990 Rover Mini 1000
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

There is no distributor on these cars.

Its possible you're getting too much air for cold starts. Check for a vacuum leak or something. Also check electrical connections for the charging system.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Cant a failed MAF cause this, and wont the car run in limp mode with it removed?
georryan
Fourth Gear

Post by georryan »

We just ran the GL-10 with the MAF unplugged by accident the other day. it ran, but wouldn't rev over 3000 rpms. I thought the car wouldn't run at all with it unplugged. We didn't leave it running very long, so I don't know if it would die, but it didn't seem to act like it was going to.
91 Pearl White Sport Sedan
04 Java Black Pearl Forester XT
2014 Volvo S60 T5
18 KTM 1290 Adventure S

87 Grey GL-10 Sedan (so long old buddy) - donated
97 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - sold
2002 BMW r1150rt-p - sold
2004 BMW r1200ST - sold
2016 BMW r1200RS - sold
DOA
First Gear

Post by DOA »

As you suspect, its the rain getting into the ignition system. Get a tin of WD-40 (hope you get that over there lol) and spray EVERY ignition connection liberally with it while looking for any corroded connections. If that doesnt cure it then replace the ignition wires or give the existing ones a good clean. Its advisable to at least clean the plug leads regularly anyway as dirty ones give a lesser spark, though I forget the reason for this, something to do with silicone insulation degrading, but Ive tried it and it does have a noticable affect when the leads are filthy.
If only I hadnt bought the bike, this would feel fast :P