Tranny problems on my turbo leg 93

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

MugenNeuspeed
In Neutral

Tranny problems on my turbo leg 93

Post by MugenNeuspeed »

Well I had the car roughly for about 3 months and now this is starting to happen.
This is an auto and I just checked fluid and changed the fluid yesterday too
Well anyways
1st and 2nd seem fine
but at 20 miles when the tranny shifts gears, the car revs but there is no go
then at about 4k the car starts to pull!
DO i have a *ucked up tranny?
Seriously I just got this car and it is a nuisance for it to already have problems because the car cost me 4k granted it is used and i should know what to expect
I been quoted 1k for a used tranny
anybody here have one for cheaper or know a place that can hook me up?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Sounds like the brake band needs to be tightend up.

There is a small nut that has an allen bolt in the middle......I think it's an allen bolt. Anyway. You need to loosen the outer nut, then tighten allen slightly, maybe 1/4 turn intervals, and see how the tranny reacts. It is located on the top of the drivers side of the tranny.....sorta near the front, right after the bell housing.

There are instructions in the chiltons & haynes manuals on how to adjust this as well as some pics.

There are two causes for what you're experiencing. First is just that tranny has age on it, and probably has never been adjusted.

Secondly. The brake band on these trannies are probably smaller then they should be, so they wear prematurely, and cause the problem you are having.

What tightening it does is keep the the previous clutch engaged longer before the next one engages. if you can't shift at all.....you know you've tightened it too much.

Also, you don't want it too tight, as it will wear even more prematurely.

Josh
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
MugenNeuspeed
In Neutral

Post by MugenNeuspeed »

Man you are a goodest
Seriously
you know everything about these legs from 90-94
Thanks you
I got the chilton manual and I am gonna adjust it as we speak just as i get off of work!
MugenNeuspeed
In Neutral

Post by MugenNeuspeed »

Can anybody pinpoint this nut for me
it's real unclear in my chilton book which i think is the worst book because they think that any normal person would know what they are talking about without a clear concise pic
They really aren't indept in pictures either
So I need to turn the brake band, not the shift linkage
right?
billc
In Neutral

Post by billc »

It is on the drivers side top front area of the tranny.Locknut is 17mm(I think maybe19mm, its been awhile and its early)and adjuster is 10mm.It is a pain to reach with both wrenches,but you should adjust in small increments.Good luck BillC
93 Sport Sedan,3 kids,no time
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Bill's right on the money with where it is. It is definitely sorta hard to find if you don't know where it is. I don't even know if I can get a picture of it.

You'll have to feel around with your hands to find it probably.

I'll look through my manuals and see if I can find any pictures or diagrams.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

MugenNeuspeed
In Neutral

Post by MugenNeuspeed »

Yeah thanks a lot
everywhere I go to says that my tranny is bad or something and they are unwilling to adjust the brake band, maybe because they just want to take 1500 from me.
Seriously I get pissed because I want to know whats wrong and not just let people *uck me over!
If anybody can get me a pic please send it to me.
And I will gladly appreciate the help
I just can't seem to find it and the chilton book sucks because the pic is very unclear!
thanks again
I mean my first and 2nd are great
and my third from 20 work on and off at times, I really don't think my tranny is messed up!
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Just make sure you DONT turn it more than 1 turn at a time. If you loosen it too much you run the risk of the band popping off the solenoid and you will loose 2 and 4.

Ive done this on two legacy by myself but a freind would probably be helpful. Its easier to adjust from the underside of the car using a 17mm closed end wrench and your fingers.

The problem is that when you loosen the lock nut the adjuster wants to turn too. I clamped a small set of vice grips on the second time. The first time I marked it with a felt pen but it was very hard to see.

If you had a helper he could sit on top and use a needle nose to hold it while you loosen.

You will know you tightened it way too much when the car is stuck in second and reverse binds up.

Also realize that for the first few times you drive the 2-3 shift will be really weird, while the TCU relearns the timing.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Last edited by Legacy777 on Thu Aug 21, 2003 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

MugenNeuspeed
In Neutral

Post by MugenNeuspeed »

Ciper I was told that the turbo awd axles are different from the non turbo awd so how are you going to tell me that the awd turbo and non turbo awd automatic trannies are interchangeable
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The axles are the same!! Regardless of of whether it is turbo or not. The only difference you're going to find in axles is between the FWD & AWD cars.

The FWD cars have 24mm dia axles, while AWD cars have 22.2mm dia front axles.

You can tell the difference. The FWD axle will have three identification marks on it. The AWD one will only have two.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

MugenNeuspeed
In Neutral

Post by MugenNeuspeed »

Thanks for the tip
So can anybody give me any codes on the tranny that I can get to make sure it fits?
I was told my the junk yard that te axles were different but who am I to second guess, I just got the car during the summer!
Anyways, I'll see whats up
I might be able to get a 93 turbo legacy with blown motor.
If that happens, I will swap!
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

If you are able to get a matching rear diff ANY transmission will fit if what Legacy777 says is correct!

I can decode any of the Tranny ID you find and then we can research and get the correct rear diff that is needed.

Anyone know the Rear Diff Ratio on the Turbo?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The early MY turbo's were 3.90. I'm not 100% sure about the later ones......I hear some say that they remained 3.90, and some say it went to 4.11.....and yet there are still more that say there are a mix.

But the info I have from the FSM says that the turbo had 3.9 up to 93....assuming the FSM is correct....I've already found errors in it.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

All Turbos were 3.90.

Dave
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

What other subaru vehicles have 3.9 with an auto. I could post the tranny ID to use.

MugenNeuspeed: My suggestion is to find the best used transmission from a legacy or impreza auto and use it. It will most likely have the 4.11 rear diff. Put that tranny in and temporarily leave the car in FWD mode.

4.11 rear diffs are CAKE to find, when you get one just drop it in and go. You have a better chance to find a used 4.11 diff based transmission than anything else. I got one from an impreza with 32k miles for ~750.