flashing sidemarkers

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

ericS2the6
First Gear

flashing sidemarkers

Post by ericS2the6 »

hello! :)

im not sure if any of you guys have seen this or have done this already, but i did this a while ago and forgot to post on here.

it is fairly simple to do, and just follow the instructions for the wrx off scoobymods. http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showth ... readid=320

the only difference is the wires are slightly different colors. i cant remember them exactly, but i believe all the signal feeds have partly green, the parking feed are partly red, and the power feed is all red of course. each side is slightly different, but i figured it out on my own just using those instructions its pretty much common sense.

other tips: removing the front side repeaters is kinda tricky. after removing the corner screw, i would have thought they just pull out. well they are held is with some tabs that i could not reach, so i just yanked them out. After all was said and done i broke off the tabs on one side, and broke off both pieces that the screw screws into. :x a little epoxy fixed that tho.

i used a straightened out coat hanger to feed the wires from the side lamp to the front of the car through the inner front fender. very easy.

other notes: this applies for the second version first gen legacys (92 - 94). i would imagine early models would be similar.

also if one looks closely they will notice that the us spec side repeater lens is different from overseas versions. i can only guess that the overseas models which come factory with them flashing have better lenses. it is apparent in bright day light that the side turn signal can hardly be recognized.

movies:
lights off:
http://www.freebmw.net/erics2the6/MOV01177.MPG
http://www.freebmw.net/erics2the6/MOV01178.MPG

lights on:http://www.freebmw.net/erics2the6/MOV01179.MPG
http://www.freebmw.net/erics2the6/MOV01180.MPG

as a result i feel much safer changing lanes on the motorway, well at least at night time. :wink:
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

This avoids the half as bright and/or twice as fast blinking problem? I swear I don't remember anything from all of my electronics classes besides... well...
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
ericS2the6
First Gear

Post by ericS2the6 »

well as you can see in the videos it works fine.

it does however blink super fast and a bunch of crazy stuff if you only hook up one side

i did one side and decided to do a little test, and i was like oh no what did i do??? :shock: but then do the other side and it works just like it should from the factory.
Aaron's ej22t
Second Gear

Post by Aaron's ej22t »

HA, i didn't even realize that mine did not flash, until now!
i really want to do this, what do i need in terms of parts?

by the way, the scoobymods link won't work for me. :D
92 Legacy Turbo \ 5MT \ Silver
ericS2the6
First Gear

Post by ericS2the6 »

Originally posted by Kastle from Scoobymods

Flashing Sidemarkers
Special thanks to refuse2growup for emailing us this mod.

Instructions for making front side marker lights flash with turn signals.

These instructions were assembled from information in several threads on I-club. Everything works perfectly. The side markers come on with parking lights as they should and they flash with the turn signals or hazards as appropriate.

One interesting note: if the headlights are on, the front blinker and side marker flash alternately, with the lights off, they flash simultaneously.

1) Remove side marker lights. Wrap flat head screwdriver with cloth and pop the side marker out from the bottom (instructions for removal in the owners manual).
2) Cut the wires to the side marker lights leaving enough wire on both side to manipulate for connections.
3) Attach extension wires to the marker light wiring and shrink-wrap or tape the connection. Cap off original feed wires to prevent shorting out.
4) Push the wires pass the rubber grommet into the engine compartment.
5) Disconnect the gray plug in the back of the headlight assembly (shown in the pictures). On the passenger side, remove the air intake snorkel for more room to work.
6) Splice as follows:

Driver Side
side marker feed (red) -> parking light feed (red/yellow)
side marker ground (black) -> signal feed (green/black)

Passenger Side
side marker feed (red) -> parking light feed (red/yellow)
side marker ground (black) -> signal feed (light green/black stripe)

like i said the colors are slighlty different for our cars, but is pretty easy to figure out (sorry i forgot the exact colors)

The wiring required to extend the side marker wires is 20 or 22 gauge stranded wire. 2 lengths of 18 inch wire per side (for a total of 4) are required. I used electrical tape to wrap the wires together to add some measure of protection to these tiny wires. There will be extra wire so cut the lengths to fit. In addition I used 4 - 20/22 gauge (red) butt connectors to extend the marker wires and 4 - 20/22 gauge scotchlok (red) connectors to splice into the parking and signal lights.

the scoobymods link works for me so i dunno, but theres the info anyways.