New Subaru-only Magazine?

FAQs, community and board information.

Moderator: Moderators

ricochet
In Neutral

New Subaru-only Magazine?

Post by ricochet »

I used to post here a couple years back when I had my '92 Legacy Turbo. The place has changed a bit since then :)

My company is exploring the possibility of publishing a Subaru-specific magazine. Currently, we're evaluating the following format:

a) 64+ pages
b) Glossy stock, color printing throughout
c) bi-monthly (6 issues/year)

We'd appreciate feedback from LegacyCentral members on content, design, the name, and anything else you can think of.

Please note that *nothing* is finalized on this yet. Not the name (though I do own the URL), not the design. Final product could look completely different...or almost identical. This is for informational purposes only.

Your feedback (or lack of feedback) will help set the direction we take on this.

Ryan Douthit, Director
Midnight Cafe Media
Publisher of Driving Sports Magazine
http://www.drivingsports.com
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

Hell, yeah that'd be awesome, but what all would be included in the mag? Would it be like a subaru version of sport compact. Would it be more like a subaru version of time? Would it be more like the subaru owned and published drive performance?

Would you have reviews of things? What about previews? What years would you cover? Would you have modding sections? What about repair instructions? About how much would we be looking at money-wise?
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
kastrix
First Gear

Post by kastrix »

That sounds hella sweet. Wow i havnt ever used the word hella before...

As i look at the cover i Really wanna open it and start reading. If you ever wanna send out free copies for evaluation purposes i'm sure everyone wouldnt mind ;-)
@The Beast@
1992 Legacy L 5MT
Exhaust, tint, fogs, anti-snorkus, plugs, wires, rims, tires, stereo and shifter knob :-)

A good car is like a good woman...
She will turn on when you want her to and she will always give you the ride of your life.
ricochet
In Neutral

Post by ricochet »

THAWA wrote:Hell, yeah that'd be awesome...About how much would we be looking at money-wise?
That's a lot of questions packed into a reply :)

Here's a stab at answering them all:
- Currently, I see it as a cross between Sport Compact Car, a little of AAA Journeys magazine, some Driving Sports Magazine-style events covered and a buch of Subaru-specific tech for both new and old-school Subies. However, feedback and writer availability can alter this concept.
- We'd have a lot more on Subaru aftermarket and old cars than Drive can have. We'd also work in some community pages in some form or another.
- Yes, we'd review some things.
- Yes, we'd preview things (even if it means a junket to Japan).
- Yes, mods are good.
- Probably wouldn't have repair instructions
- Price? Between $3.99 and 5.99 single-copy, and $19.99 to 29.99 subcription (pagecount, paperstock and advertising base out of the gate need to be figured before this gets stapled down.)

--Ryan
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Ryan,

Sounds like a pretty cool idea....it'd definitely be nice to get a little interest/respect for the old school subies :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
georryan
Fourth Gear

Post by georryan »

I'd subscribe!
91 Pearl White Sport Sedan
04 Java Black Pearl Forester XT
2014 Volvo S60 T5
18 KTM 1290 Adventure S

87 Grey GL-10 Sedan (so long old buddy) - donated
97 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - sold
2002 BMW r1150rt-p - sold
2004 BMW r1200ST - sold
2016 BMW r1200RS - sold
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I'd go for it as long as there's a good mix of older stuff, too.

What about off-road sections or coverage, too? Rarities would be another nice thing, like the FF1 if you could find one. I undersatnd that appealing to the newer WRX fan is necessary, but with Subaru's commendable owner loyalty you definitely shouldn't neglect the old stuff. Conversion features might be nice, like sourcing and installing a dual-range transmission for a Forester or replacing an EA81 with an EJ22 on an old model.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
kelley
Vendor
Vendor

Post by kelley »

sounds like a good idea. I would be interested in advertising in a magazine like that.
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

That's sounds great, I'd subscribe too.
Your link says Driving Sports is based in Kirkland, so this would be as well?
I'm in Kirkland, so if you ever want to install some parts in a Legacy for an article... :wink:
90 L+ wgn
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

There would have to be Subaru specific support from vendors to make this magazine stand out from the crowd. It would be completely amazing to open up a magazine and see the latest and greatest from Cusco, Whiteline, MRT, STi, SPT, and other organizations that have a large stake in Subaru parts.

And having at least one article on how-to stuff with old school vehicles will bring in readers ten-fold. Pre-GD Subaru is almost neglected here in the states. There are tons of XT owners, Brat , SVX, and GL owners that would kill to have something written on hopping up their vehicles, especially performance-wise.
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
ricochet
In Neutral

Post by ricochet »

We've decided to take the next step.

A page is now posted so you can sign up to monitor the development of SUBIESPORT Magazine. Even if you're only moderately interested, please sign up so we can show potential advertisers the strong support we know is here!

http://www.drivingsports.com/subiesport/

This list will *only* be used for major updates (such as calls for modified Subarus to consider profiling in the mag, letting everyone know when subscriptions are available, etc.) and will not be sold or shared with advertisers.

Thanks,

Ryan Douthit, Publisher
Midnight Cafe Media, LLC
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I'd be willing to submit my car for a feature when I finally finish the thing. 1990 5MT wagon, TD05 and AWIC. If I can afford it and it will work with the Legacy, I plan on Prodrive active suspension and if I can engineer it, active antoroll bars like the Citroen rally car.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
ricochet
In Neutral

Post by ricochet »

evolutionmovement wrote:I'd be willing to submit my car for a feature when I finally finish the thing. 1990 5MT wagon, TD05 and AWIC. If I can afford it and it will work with the Legacy, I plan on Prodrive active suspension and if I can engineer it, active antoroll bars like the Citroen rally car.

Steve
:shock:
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

I like the sound of it so far and echo the statements and suggestions of other members. As long as it has well rounded content that covers all Subarus and not just the new school.

Depending apon when you're going to start putting this together you might want to think about sending someone to cover the 3rd Annual East Coast Subaru Shootout in Sept here in PA. Lots of vendors, 100-200 Subarus are expected (there were around 100 last year even though it rained), factory team cars and Suby nuts everywhere! You can use me as a contact and I'll help you any way I can if you decide to come.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

I will pass this along to the local Suby board. Maybe this thing will snowball to show the support this kind of magazine will have.

Nasioc anyone? I'm not signed up for that place. Maybe you could obtain vendor status or something so you could get a front page announcement about the magazine. I'd think you'd be launching a whole lot quicker :).
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
ricochet
In Neutral

Post by ricochet »

Brat4by4 wrote:Nasioc anyone? I'm not signed up for that place. Maybe you could obtain vendor status or something so you could get a front page announcement about the magazine. I'd think you'd be launching a whole lot quicker :).
No front page announcements have been posted, but I do have threads similar to this one running at the 11 forums I have listed at the bottom of http://www.subiesport.com

If anyone here has some "extra pull" with any good platforms that can help get the word out to the community, please let me know. ;)

Ryan
Legacytuner
First Gear

subie mag

Post by Legacytuner »

Sounds like a great idea i love it, with the loyalty that subaru owners have this mag would really do well.
I also think that all subarus should be included there is so much neglect when it comes to older subarus.

Once a subaru fan, always a subaru fan
Proud owner of a 1991 Silver 5MT
Gold wrx wheels,Straight Exhaust, DNA Boost Controler 12 Psi, Ngk's, De-Snorked, Carbon fiber hood scoop in the werks
1991 White 5MT(Sold to Friend), AKA BINFORD

"KEEP IT REAL, KEEP IT SUBARU"
ricochet
In Neutral

Post by ricochet »

Last chance to get your subscriptions for the debut issue! To get number one you need to have your sub completed by end-of-day on Monday, October 4th. After that...issue number two will be your first. Issue one is now set to ship out on October 15th.

Final numbers: 8,000 copies to newsstand throughout North America and 1,400 subscribers. The debut issue will be sporting 68 pages, a perfect-bound spine, UV Gloss cover and heavy internal stock.

Cheers,

Ryan Douthit, Publisher
Subiesport Magazine
http://www.subiesport.com
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

SWEET!, cant wait
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
georryan
Fourth Gear

Post by georryan »

Me either. You should get a cover story on Kelley's legacy sometime. :)
91 Pearl White Sport Sedan
04 Java Black Pearl Forester XT
2014 Volvo S60 T5
18 KTM 1290 Adventure S

87 Grey GL-10 Sedan (so long old buddy) - donated
97 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - sold
2002 BMW r1150rt-p - sold
2004 BMW r1200ST - sold
2016 BMW r1200RS - sold
kelley
Vendor
Vendor

Post by kelley »

georryan wrote:Me either. You should get a cover story on Kelley's legacy sometime. :)
I think she would look good on the cover.
look for our ad in the first issue.