AWIC Intercooler GROUP BUY! Silver or black!

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Do you want an AWIC?

Silver
22%
Black
58%
no
19%

Total votes: 36

THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

According to rslibclub the silver were on jdm legacies and the gold were only on the rs-ra's. I really couldn't tell ya if thats right or not. just relaying the info
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
TheSubaruJunkie
Fourth Gear

Post by TheSubaruJunkie »

Im IN!! I vote for silver, but im not picky. It'll probably end up re-painted anyhow. You could probably ship THAWA, Ryan and mine in the same box and save on S&H considering how close we all are.

ETA on arival?

-Brian
1983 Subaru GL-10 Brat
1986 Toyota 4Runner
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

or even just save all the shipping and have one of us pick it up (road trip anyone?) or bring it with ya next time you come up to s2 :)

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I would be in for sure. I voted silver but the color is minimally important.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Oh yeah, would it come with the compressor-to-intercooler pipe?
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
georryan
Fourth Gear

Post by georryan »

Everything I've read basically says that the compressor to incooler pipe won't work unless you have a turbo that is angled the right way (like the td04).

If you have a td04, it could be nice because there is no place to connect the diverter valve on the intercooler itself, because on that version it was plummed into the turbo to intercooler pipe.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

-Ryan
91 Pearl White Sport Sedan
04 Java Black Pearl Forester XT
2014 Volvo S60 T5
18 KTM 1290 Adventure S

87 Grey GL-10 Sedan (so long old buddy) - donated
97 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - sold
2002 BMW r1150rt-p - sold
2004 BMW r1200ST - sold
2016 BMW r1200RS - sold
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

would we be able to use an elbow with maybe an extension/reducer/increaser whatever

J-MoNeY
Fourth Gear

Post by J-MoNeY »

I'm in. Sign me up!
98 LGT
mgardenier
In Neutral

Post by mgardenier »

i am thinking im in too. I am wondering how much more is gonna be needed to install this thing. and is anyof it gonna be hard to source?

Michael
rB5
First Gear

Post by rB5 »

Definitely count me in as well. I voted Silver just to be different.

-B
2000 2.5RS Sedan
1996 Impreza L Wagon
1998 Outback [gone]
1998 Legacy GT wagon [gone] :(
1993 Legacy Touring Wagon [gone] :(
1988 Mazda 323 GTX [gone] :(
CobraCDR
In Neutral

Post by CobraCDR »

Put me in too color doesn't matter only HP! Let me know where and when to send paymant!

Thanks!

Spent today at the dyno with the Cobra; made 442RWHP/418RWTQ (526 crank HP) . I'm FINALLY happy with that, now ready to spend some time biulding the legacy.

Cheers!
Doug
96 Subaru Legacy Wagon,94 Legacy Turbo MT5 89K,Factory Five Racing Cobra 521HP,Lexus LS 400,Lexus SC400 NO2,94 Miata (M) 40K,95 Miata (M) 50K,65 Riviera,65 Mustang,97 BMW 318ti,84 BMW 318 (380HP ford V-8),76 280 Z
55 Dodge PU,01 Acura 3.2 TL
teaguespeed
First Gear

Post by teaguespeed »

I'll take one.

By the way, for forty bucks, you could by a bunch of them and make a buttload on ebay.
'99 Impreza L 2.2 powa!

"If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style."
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

This has been better than I expected.

Ill wait a few more days.

Although a few extra parts may be available I say dont expect them to be included. Some may have the cooler-throttle body hose (this is just a short straight part). A couple turbo to cooler hose will be available, but at an extra charge. Realize they will need modification to fit the stock turbo.

Also remember you will have to pay shipping and handling, If your in the US Id guess total under 80$?
Last edited by ciper on Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

Count me in, i had originally said no, but there's no harm in having an AWIC handy.

Black.

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

ciper, can you get clarification on whether the air inlet pipe is considered an "extra part?" It's the only part of the system that wouldn't be easy to fabricate or use substitute parts for.
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

So assuming its just the intercooler, we're probably looking at:
$20 in coolant hoses
$5 ic/throttle tube
$50+ turbo-i/c hose(s) assuming you use silicon
$20 various clamps

Those are real conservative prices im sure someone has the hook up somewhere and can get that stuff for hella cheap or you have some stuff lying around at home, but if you're just buying it all from home depot or something thats about right

the two things I'm not sure about though are water pump and radiator. I believe you mentioned using the heater core from a legacy. I'm also rememebring that diy pc watercoolers use heater cores from 78 chevelles (or chevettes I dont know chevys) so it sounds probable. And since pc watercooling is pretty much the same as any other type of cooling, I'm looking at the pumps they use. It's not hard to fine one that flows 150 gph for less than 40 bucks and most run off of dc power so there's no worries about that. I dont know what anyone else is planning on using, but those sound like an easy deal. I figure if they can cool down a cpu that'll run at about 50C down to around 20C they have to be good pumps. But I really don't know what the temp changes should be for an AWIC. If anyone has that info it'd be good to know, I'm sure it might be in that "limit for AWIC thread" but it got too long for me to be interested in :D

so all total you're looking at around $200-250 including the intercooler, does that sound about right?

ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

vrg3: Air Inlet pipe? You mean from the turbo to the intercooler?

THAWA: I wouldnt plan on using the heater core alone, its VERY small and Im using it in addition to the front mounted cores.

The two best pumps I have found are both jabsco
18510-0020, 15 gpm, direct drive, 150$
59500-0012, 3.9 gpm, magnetic drive 130$

Surprisng enough the second pump was designed with intercooling in mind. Many vehicles use this or an equivalent on the stock setup. You can go far cheaper but these two pumps are for continious use (high hour rating), low power consumption, and rated for high temperatures.

If you look at the size of the stock radiator on the Liberty/Legacy you will see than an equivalent RV transmission cooler can be used.
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

Hmm, so maybe two or three heatercores in series but that sounds kind silly when you could just use one larger radiator.

How many gallons does the pump need to push? And would pumping too much water create problems? Like the water wouldnt be able to get cooled?

About how big is the lib a/w rad, I've only seen the diagram in the manual and can't tell from it.

How many watts do the two pumps listed consume?

ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

" kind silly when you could just use one larger radiator"

So your telling me I can get a radiator to bend around the hood support and somehow stretch under the hood scoop? You misunderstand why I have more than one.

Guessing by the images Ive see Id guess the stock unit is about 9x12x3/4

The pump speed probably depends on how much power you need. The ratings on most pumps eqaute to a far higher speed when installed in the car. I bet the one rated for 3.9GPM is closer to 10 GPM.

In the stock setup the ECU detects boost pressure and turns the pump on high speed. I bet we could find the FSM page with flow ratings.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

ciper wrote:vrg3: Air Inlet pipe? You mean from the turbo to the intercooler?
From what I understand, there are two parts -- one is just a plastic pipe that goes from the turbo to the intercooler's air inlet pipe. This plastic piece has the fitting on it for the blowoff valve.

Then there's the air inlet pipe that goes from that plastic pipe to a flange on the back of the air/water intercooler. That flange joint is the part I'm thinking of when I say it'd be hard to fabricate.

Is not that the case?
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

ciper wrote:" kind silly when you could just use one larger radiator"

So your telling me I can get a radiator to bend around the hood support and somehow stretch under the hood scoop? You misunderstand why I have more than one.
No I was thinking you were using a normal sized rad and another core right next to it. Didn't know you were using one near the scoop. which is why I thought it'd be silly to have like three little rads in the front when you could just have one larger radiator. Then again I don't know hwich would be the best. But I see what you're doing now.

vikash, I thought the flange was part of the IC, but yes, if it doesn't come with that, then you can count me out of this buy.

Still curious about two things though, Is flowing too much water bad, and how many watts do those pumps consume?

ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Here is an image to help undersand the size of a stock setup

VRG3: Are you thinking that the intercooler inlet pipe is a seperate part like the bottom of an AAIC? Its not, they are welded together! Ill find an image. Thawa actually found an ebay auction showing the bottom of an RA unit that would help.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Ah, thanks for the clarification, ciper. I was indeed thinking it was a separate part. I didn't know it was welded together. That's pretty cool.
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

from pjgaerlan's post: Image

ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Good one, here is another