And so it begins...(16G install) *updated w/ pics* No 56k

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Nice! I'm impressed that you're doing this by yourself, especially with all the other stuff you also have to do.

That upper coolant line looks like it's not shaped quite like the stock one, but it's actually better because it helps keep the hose further away from the intercooler piping. Cool.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

yeah at 14-15psi you definitely want to be close to 11:1 afr or lower !
morgie
'98 4Runner V6 Manual 4x4.
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

vrg3 wrote:Nice! I'm impressed that you're doing this by yourself, especially with all the other stuff you also have to do.
Hehe, thanks Vikash. My friend Dan (you'll meet him this weekend) helped me a bit and Scott stopped by for a while and gave me some much needed moral support too. It really wasn't a bad project and it went pretty smooth except looking for the EGT adapter and failing and finding the bolt to plug the bung. Part of the PCV system needed reworked too but that was the worst part. I'll cover that stuff in my write up.
That upper coolant line looks like it's not shaped quite like the stock one, but it's actually better because it helps keep the hose further away from the intercooler piping. Cool.
Hehehehehe, actually that's the WRX one! I switched it around so that it would point back that way! :D It worked out really nice.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Cool, props to Dan and Scott for helping.

Switching the WRX line around was pretty clever... Way cool.

That's odd that the PCV system would be affected, though... was it because it got in the way of the newly relocated compressor-to-intercooler piping?
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
rsstiboy
Second Gear

Post by rsstiboy »

if you want to increase throttle response and maximise induction noise :wink: :twisted: get rid of the 2 items I have marked in red

and replace it with a similar setup to this:-

this was my old inlet setup,
MY02 B4 Liberty, 2 1/2" off the primary with splitter, 3" off the secondary, 3" the rest of the way, completely stainless, k&n filter, ECUtek 3, 500HP walbro, 173kw@all4
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

rsstiboy wrote:if you want to increase throttle response and maximise induction noise :wink: :twisted: get rid of the 2 items I have marked in red

and replace it with a similar setup to this:-

this was my old inlet setup,
Thanks, I'm aware of those restrictive components and do plan to address them soon. Phil's been on my ass to do the coffee cup mod for months! :lol: I have so much that I plan to do but only have so much time. I'll eventually get it all done. Next is to install my WRX hood scoop ( I know you don't like 'em ;) ) so that I can get some real air across my TMIC. Then I need to get my 3.9 rear LSD installed that's been sitting in my basement for the last 4 months. :roll: It's funny because the more I do to my car the longer my to-do list gets....
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

vrg3 wrote: That's odd that the PCV system would be affected, though... was it because it got in the way of the newly relocated compressor-to-intercooler piping?

Ya, the compressor outlet pointed right into 2 PCV hoses! There was no way around rerouting them.

Here's a few pics of the problem and the solution. :)

:)
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

I thought the conclusion we came to was that using anything but the stock air box hurts performance?
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Huh. I guess that explains why the foreign-market compressor inlet elbow that THAWA got has different fitting locations.
rsstiboy
Second Gear

Post by rsstiboy »

have a look where the stock airbox mates up to the inlet piping, how can that be good for performance? :shock:
MY02 B4 Liberty, 2 1/2" off the primary with splitter, 3" off the secondary, 3" the rest of the way, completely stainless, k&n filter, ECUtek 3, 500HP walbro, 173kw@all4
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

rsstiboy wrote:have a look where the stock airbox mates up to the inlet piping, how can that be good for performance? :shock:
With a properly modded intake, there is no hole smaller than 3". That doesn't make MUCH difference, because the inlet and outlet on the turbo is much less than that, and the throttle body itself is only 2.75".

Plus, the stock airbox pulls air directly from the fender, unlike the cone setup which pulls air from the engine bay.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Well, I got it all broke in last night and turned it up a bit to a mere 16 psi. OMFG it pulls sooooo hard. I mean scary fast! :twisted: Scott was with me and we were both grinning ear to ear. I can't believe the difference. :D
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

How's your clutch holding up? Going to kick my ass on Saturday?

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Uhhhhh ya. You're going to be toast my friend. :twisted: It's actually weird, the entire drivetrain feels much better. The clutch is stickin' good and the car seems to shifts better too. :D
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Damn :(, lol.

I'm stoked you got it all running!

Next year, we'll see what'll happen :)

Oh, run 18.5lbs. If your clutch holds and you ice the intercooler, you should see LOW 13's ;).

That reminds me, is there a 7-11 on the way to the track?

legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

I know this will be hard to believe but they don't have 7-11's up here! :shock: There will be places like 'em though.

Hell, it might be low 13's now! ;)
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Keep the IC iced and the boost at 18.5, and you'll be hitting way low 13's no problem, hell maybe even high 12's if the clutch holds. We'll hook up the Scanner to the car and see what your fuel trims look like and such so you can "tune" the boost to the fuel :).

Just wait until next year...

georryan
Fourth Gear

Post by georryan »

That's awsome Matt! I wish I could get a ride!!!

Let us know how you do!

-Ryan
91 Pearl White Sport Sedan
04 Java Black Pearl Forester XT
2014 Volvo S60 T5
18 KTM 1290 Adventure S

87 Grey GL-10 Sedan (so long old buddy) - donated
97 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - sold
2002 BMW r1150rt-p - sold
2004 BMW r1200ST - sold
2016 BMW r1200RS - sold
andrew.anderson
In Neutral

Post by andrew.anderson »

legacy92ej22t,

When you posting the new pics? Soon...? Anxious to see them.
~Andrew_
99 Legacy SUS White/Gray (Outback two tone)
05 Legacy GT (Black)
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

I wouldn't run higher than 16.5psi, if I were you:D

Honestly, I was going 100% IDCs at 12psi at 4000rpm back in the day:shock: I tested the engine out to 18psi sustained and 22psi (accidentally) peak with *crossing fingers* no ill-effects.

I am basing this on information that I believe Ciper provided back in the day stating the max efficiency for the 16g (at least the one I had) was at 16.5psi on a 2.2L engine. Take that for what it's worth, but that guy knew his sh!t. I don't think porting changes the turbos efficiency range (maybe it does).

At any rate, I'm guessing a 13.5-13.7 pass. Mind you, the launch will give a good work out to your clutch :twisted:

Good to hear you got some new stuff in!! It's good to come back and find you guys still workin hard on those legacys!!

Jason
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
rsstiboy
Second Gear

Post by rsstiboy »

my friend over here has a stroked 2.5 block to 2.4 ltrs with his TD05H on it and he runs 26psi, feels great down low but runs out of puff very quick in the top end, in fact my little 2ltr pulls away on 18psi from 100kph with the same turbo, for a 2.2ltr I would go for a zilla 20g with TD06 compressor from deadbolt, I think that would be a very nice setup...
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Jason dude, where you been? We're all here at my place right now getting ready for the meet tomorrow! Man, you dropped off the planet there for a while.
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

I've had a buncha issues I had to take care of. Long story.

Wish I coulda met up with you guys last weekend. Your car must be a beast nowadays!
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

bump for lots of new pictures and words. :)
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Nice pictures, Matt. Thanks for doing the step-by-step explanation too!