spinning the tires in the rain?

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

On a hard street launch in the dry, I can get the fronts to chirp with 225's.

But my car is a bit more steroided up than most on here.

In the rain, I can break loose in the middle of 2nd, and it'll get real sketchy on the shift to 3rd if I am on it.

A Launch in the rain would equal to 4, 225mm wide rooster tails and very little movement.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

If you chirp or break the tires loose when launching the tranny doesnt take a shot. Read launching techniques on the clubwrx homepage. If you don't manage to break the tires loose tho, your tranny is gonna take it hard because something has to give. If its not the clutch or the tires, its the transmission. Although i wouldn't recommend dropping the clutch it can be done safely and is done safely all the time. But i do agree with phil, its much easier to just slip the clutch and you can get better times.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
nzKAOSnz
First Gear

Post by nzKAOSnz »

Unfortunatly - Pirelli is correct in their advertising slogan - "not slippery when wet" :)

On wet grass- if i dump the clutch - lets go but there is a strange smell of clutch.
On gravel - no let go - funny clutch smell. Kinda strong. Suggest not doing that again. I think im gunna get a really stong clutch next up.
***ITS CLEAN! :D*****
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

Yes clutches seem to be important.

I have (as in past tense) been able to get 2.003 0-60 drag strip launches with a 1990 NA. But I was clutch dumping at 5k rpm.

At that point the clutch was smelling but responding. As soon as I added the supercharger which gave me the extra 30 pounds or so of torque, the clutch basically quit working when dumped.
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

I've been breaking them loose on the ice around here lately. Car still goes straight but it likes to pull to one side a little. Probably scares anybody next to me.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out