Help with basic Turbo Mods for racing

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, I'm going to get the SMT6

Yes, the stock exchange solenoid is a 2 wire solenoid, simply open and close.

What turbo are you running? The amount the solenoid is going to open and close is going to be different for different turbos and mods, but a starting point would be nice.

Ideally, the main things I'd like to control are
Fuel, due to larger injectors.
MAF signal, due to running the JECS maf.
wastegate solenoid

Also, depending on how things go, I'd probably tweak with timing for fine tuning.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by JasonGrahn »

No, no, no!

It is not allowed in his class of racing. RTFM.
-Jason Grahn
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

We weren't really talking about racing.....or at least I wasn't.....maybe we should start another thread.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

toomuch
Second Gear

Post by toomuch »

A lot of good information, thanks to everybody that's contributing...
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

pm sent josh ;)
2011 Mini Countryman S All4
1970 Honda Ct90
2001 Forester S of Doom - mowed down by a Cummins
1994/5/6/01/02/03/04/06/07/08 Impregacy OUtback SS STi Type R money pit- NEW RALLYCAR!!
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Please start a thread guys, don't move it to PM's. I'm very interested in all discussion about pp6.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

legacy92ej22t wrote:Please start a thread guys, don't move it to PM's. I'm very interested in all discussion about pp6.
Will do. I'll start a new thread, and post the conversation so far.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Cool, thanks Josh.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
Legacy294
Vendor
Vendor

Post by Legacy294 »

stumbled upon this thread and wanted to wait for things to settle down before posting..quite the flame fest. :shock:

At any rate, since the car being mentioned is my old car, which has proven itself well in PGT trim before going Open, thought it would be good to clarify a few things since my name and business are being mentioned in a public forum.. here's my .02.

1. First of all, it was purchased from me in Open trim, not PGT trim. Far more goodies allowed in Open. The parts money is better spent (as mentioned) in Open. The WRX tranny/diff/axles, and fiberglass hood pushed it out of PGT. Turbo Leggy trannies are hard to get, too fragile, and expensive to replace guts in (over $2k in parts to stay in PGT, did that once). The only other thing that could be done to get it faster in PGT legal trim is an SAFC (had MBC @ 10-12psi, FCD, up/downpipe/ 3" exhaust). Also, maxing the HP out of the 2.2 turbo is asking for tranny issues w/ a turbo 5 speed, better clutch and stock guts. Did have tranny trouble a few times in PGT, as some of you know..LOL

2. The engine that was swapped into it was used, but not as "tired" as portrayed (drove the car it came out of 110+ easily)..It had half the mileage of the old one, was smooth, and ran fine. Many guys/gals here have 150k+ EJ22Ts that still scream along just fine..had a CEL (Knock sensor) that needed fixed to get everything out of it. Would be fixing that first before a full rebuild.. That cooked engine that came out had compression issues..

3. My reason for switching cars was due to the fact that if $$$ was going into upgrading an Open car, it should be the Impreza (GC8 STi) that has been ongoing for a couple of years. It was time for completiton. It was not because the Leggy wasn't fast enough..I was at the point of diminshing returns, especially in PGT trim..That Leggy with an EJ20G swap or EJ22T/ DOHC set up, different turbo (TD04 or TD05), and TMIC with the current set up, that'd be close to or more than 300chp unrestricted. That's about $1500-2k worth of parts. If you want to get the bang for the buck, and get a bunch more HP, that's a good way to go. Headwork, P&P, Extrude honing the intake, 3 angle valve job, and valves/springs would be near, or more than that much $ and not nearly that sort of gain. Not PGT legal though...

4. Whatever modifications are not explicitly listed as PGT legal in the NASA or R-A rule book, are NOT legal in PGT. If you don't like that (as I didn't), keep the car Open and build the whizz out of it with the list posted.. It will be way faster than a PGT legal Leggy Turbo.

5. With more seat time, you will get faster.. That's not saying your driving is good, bad or otherwise, just a fact of all motorsports. How many stage miles at speed have you run in that car to this point? Can it be driven 100% at all times? I couldn't drive it 100% for quite a while. Until I began left foot braking, I wasn't using all the car had, as the turbo needed to spool to pull out of turns. Once you get the hang of lfb-ing, you'll carry much more speed through the turns, and be able to really attack the stage, as you're always in the powerband.

6. Please be nice to others on the board.:-D Putting up a post in a forum is basically asking for opinions, like them or not. It's fine to not agree with someone, but namecalling for it is really unnecessary. Since Jason is a co-driver, he's very familiar with the rules, he needs to be as part of that task. We are also close in the starting order and stage times at many events as well. on this subject he's got good insight. He's just straight up with comments sometimes.. :grin:

I'd be glad to answer any of your other technical rally questions, from a scrutineer/ tech inspectors' standpoint too..At some point I'll probably be teching that car.. :-D

Rally On!
'96 GF/STi Rally wagon, under construction

If it's mechanical, it WILL break...
www.allwheelsdriven.net
toomuch
Second Gear

Post by toomuch »

Legacy294

I don't blame you for not jumping in earlier but do appreciate your input.

I would like to clarify my comment on the engine. I'm in no way am inferring that you attempted to decieve me on the engine in the car. You were right up front and told me the engine had 165k miles. Before even seeing or driving the car, I concluded that the engine was probably well used and worn and I was not expecting a new engine. The morning after you dropped it off I did a compression and leakdown test and I did call you immediately after testing. The two cylinders on the drivers side of the car had considerably lower compression than the passenger side. The drivers side front cylinder under leakdown was loosing pressure at over 70% and you can hear the air (a lot of air) leaving the intake system. So my conclusion (I'm not a super duper tech or anything) was that there was considerable wear or damage to the drivers side head. The car did have a a warning light indicating the knock sensor needed attention, after fixing that most of the WOT miss was gone but it would still miss at WOT under load, such as up a fairly steep grade. I don't know for sure but I think this could be caused by the low compression in the left front cylinder. Any input or insight anybody might have on this issue is appreciated. The car did run pretty good considering but did not have anywhere near the power of any of my other stock turbo legacys. I have a good low mileage short block and thought about rebuilding some heads to put on it prior to the start of the season and using this engine as a spare.

As far as what is and isn't legal, I've been studying the SCCA, RA and NASA rules books for about 5 years. I have the rules all but memorized. There are always things that can be done to a stock car to make it faster and still be within stock specs along with the allowed modifications. I know there are a lot of very bright innovators on this forum and was hoping for some of that knowledge and thank to those that did have relevant input.

As far as being nice to people on the board, generally I am and was nice with Jason and even played along for a bit and when I asked he stay on topic he dove right back in with more of his bull. Anyway, I'm just not up for that shit, sorry.

Thanks for your offer to help, it is much appreciated.