Front strut install HELP

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Drifting STi
First Gear

Post by Drifting STi »

I did not see or feel a box under the carpet. It was just floor board and heater vents. :evil: Anyone have a picture of this box? If I remove the seat I will make sure to take a photo.

I checked the battery without the car running. Battery voltage reads at 12.75. I guess that rules out system voltage right?

This is very frustrating.

Can a siezed caliper casue the ABS light to come on? I did not see anything about siezed caliper piston on the LED code list.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

It should be under there
http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/fil ... tion06.jpg

Siezed caliper shouldn't cause the abs light to come on.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

You won't be able to feel the box unless you already know where it is; it fits neatly against the floorpan.

If the light wasn't on before this, I don't think you need to worry about the computer being absent. Try to see the LED flashing. It's awkward but possible.

Yes, if it reads 12.75 volts that's fine.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Drifting STi
First Gear

Post by Drifting STi »

Thanx again....i'll try again tomorrow
Drifting STi
First Gear

Post by Drifting STi »

I'm almost sure I ruined the APS sensor wire. :?

What the hell am i going to do now? :cry:

I should have left the struts alone and paid someone to do them. The ABS problem will cost me a lot more than a strut job. :evil:

I learned to leave it to the pros......unless it an oil change, brake job etc.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

For the time being you may just want to live without ABS... I have been for a couple of years. In the winter I prefer not having ABS.

I bet Blackbart will sell you an intact hub with the sensor still installed for a good price:

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=22648

Please try not to get discouraged. This really isn't a big problem. And, even after dealing with this, you'll still have saved money over paying someone to swap your struts (if you can even find a place that's willing to install parts not intended for your car). And you've learned a lot, right?
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Drifting STi
First Gear

Post by Drifting STi »

VRG3 thanx for the encouraging words.

After about an hour of trying to use a white index card and a mirror to watch the LED, I gave up and took the carpet and seat up.

Here are some pics.

and my finger through the cutout I was trying to look through for an hour.

BTW the previous owner had dogs :evil:
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

:smt104

So there's no ABS computer? But the ABS light is on? But it wasn't before?

Does your car have ABS?
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Hey, wait a second! That seat fabric wasn't available in 1st-generation Legacies. What kind of car is this?
Drifting STi
First Gear

Post by Drifting STi »

Its a 1998 Legacy Wagon. No ABS computer!??? :shock:

Yes, it has ABS. I know this for sure!

No, the ABS light was not on prior to the strut install.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

It's not a first generation! You have to tell us these things!

Realize that, although we like to help, this board isn't really intended for discussions about your car.

You may need a dealer's scan tool to read the trouble code from the ABS computer, which I think is mounted beside the glove compartment, or maybe just built into the hydraulic unit underhood. Since a dealer would probably charge you for reading the trouble code, you may want to inspect the sensor wires yourself carefully first if it's not possible to read the codes yourself.

I can't help you much more. I don't know anything about later models of Legacy. Chances are not many other members of this board will be of much more help. You should check out the Subaru Legacy International boards and the Legacy forum on NASIOC; maybe they can help more.
Drifting STi
First Gear

Post by Drifting STi »

Thanx for everything. Thanx for listening to me wine....
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

No problem. Good luck.
Drifting STi
First Gear

Post by Drifting STi »

Just wanted to say thank you guys for all the help. Here are some pics of the STi struts, springs, tops/mounts installed. Besides messing up the ABS the installation was straight forward.
tahiti350
Third Gear

Post by tahiti350 »

VG3 posted "All four wheels have ABS. No vehicle has front-only ABS as far as I know."

The parts car I have been tearing apart is a '90 Legacy L 4wd wagon, but it DOES NOT have ABS. I looked when I had it hauled to the house, as I need a rt front ABS equipped hub to rplace a non-ABS hub on my LS wagon. The parts car definately did not have the ABS controller or sensors at the hubs, Is this an odd-ball???
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

No, what vrg3 was saying is that if the car has ABS, it has it on all four wheels, and not just two.

There are most certainly legacies out there without abs.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
tahiti350
Third Gear

Post by tahiti350 »

Doh, I mis-read that line, somehow read "all 4 wheel drive" instead of "all 4 wheels"

Third post and I make myself look like an idiot... :shock: :-D
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

My grandfather's old Isuzu truck had rear-only ABS...
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Yeah, it wasn't uncommon for certain trucks to have rear-only ABS. But I don't know of any vehicles with front-only ABS -- it'd be kind of silly to bias the vehicle towards spinning out under hard braking. And no Subaru ever had non-all-wheel ABS.
v8killer2pt5
In Neutral

Post by v8killer2pt5 »

Paul you wimp when the weather gets warmer come by on a weekend I will help ypu trace the problem and we can pull the codes. There's a trick to do it all we need is the listing of codes which I believe I have. After I get the tranny and install it I will tackle the wrx strut setup with the s techs.
Damm this does not feel like my Sti!
Drifting STi
First Gear

Post by Drifting STi »

No problem brother! I'll help you with the strut install