Ebay wagon I just bought...$200 PICTURES UPDATE!

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

That sucks, hopefully a few tight turns with the fwd fuse in will fix the torque bind. I think there is usually noticeable wheel play when you turn the wheel in the air. Both my front and rear wheels are the same way.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

I plugged in the FWD fuse, and the bind went away, immediately felt the difference in the driveway. Pulled the fuse, binding is back.
So, I guess the solenoid is operating correctly.

It feels like the right rear axle, which is the one I felt was too loose, is what is grabbing... the car sort of hitches up, and it feels like the right rear is bobbing up and down when it grabs... it does so in a rhythmic pattern, sorta consistent with what I've felt with bad front CVs in the past... almost feels like a wheel with the lug nuts coming off. I'm hoping to throw an axle at it and it'll be OK.
Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

Update:

Finally on the road again... after approx 180 miles, car overheats. I check the fluids, there's no water. Oil foam in the rad cap :?

I have to conclude one of the heads is cracked or something internally. I pulled the motor apart today, the headgaskets were pristine. But the whole cooling system is filled with oil. I pulled off the upper radiator hose & got a shtload of pure, unadulterated Mobil-1 coming out of the coolant manifold. This thing is actively pumping oil into the coolant system. I have no idea where the water went, the resevoir was empty, never any steam or leaks, or any exhaust steam...

Guess I should have used my spare heads as well, but I didn't feel like fixing the frozen exhaust studs. Got 'em out today in about 20 mins. So this also means that the original shortblock is OK.

Barring rain, I should have the motor back together tomorrow. Fortunately I have a complete gasket set on hand.
Jerry

Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

Got her all back together. Fired right up the first try. :D Practice makes perfect, eh? Got the timing belt spot on first try this time.

I drained as much oil & old coolant as possible, then filled the system with a bottle of Simple Green, a can of Engine Brite, and the rest 50/50 mix. I then took the car on a 300 mile shakedown cruise up to Fleischmans, NY, around Hunter Mtn. Ran flawlessly, gave better than 30mpg. Even got to get her muddy, I was parked in a sloping field, and it poured rain all night... I was one of several Subies there, we all got out, but all the front-drivers were buried up to their axles. Hell of a party, my friend's 45th b-day.

Flushed it out yesterday... most of the remaining oil had emulsified, and floated to the top, ending up in the coolant fill tank. About 1/2 an inch of oil.
Hopefully this concludes this issue. I've never experienced a failure like this, one of the heads leaking oil internally?? Very odd.

I also repaired the exhaust; it wasn't a bad joint, it was the left side header, the curved section had a crack/hole in it... got it cut out and a new section welded in over behind CitiField (Shea Stadium). It's a Wild West show of muffler, glass and body shops back there, little hole-in-the-wall shops. Good work can be had cheap, especially if you speak a little Spanish. Dude was an artist with the bender and MIG.

The AWD is still fuxed up w/ torque bind, been driving it in FWD mode. I have to try a few drain & fills of auto fluid, my project for this week.
Jerry

ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Good to hear some good news on your car :) I wish my N/A legacy was able to get 30mpg mhmmm.

For the tranny try this stuff,

http://www.hdtalking.com/harley_store/1 ... 16_oz.html

This trans-x additive works wonders! Some guys suffering from issues on there later model Subaru used this stuff like delayed shifting to D or R. I used it in my car definitely makes the shifts more smooth. It is worth a shot it is not like the stupid lucas crap which is like pouring mud in the tranny, this stuff is like water viscosity and acts like more of a stop leak and a valve body cleaner. My friend has a vw jetta that had a power steering leak, added this stuff bam no more noise from the pump and it seems as all leaks have stopped.
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

Well, the transmission part of it works great... its just the AWD clutches that are acting up.

I'm not too worried about it, if I keep the car, it's gonna get a 5-spd anyway. ;-) Maybe a 6-spd :twisted:

I'm considering a new build; dismantle the SS-RA, and build a TW-RA... with the '91 nose sheetmetal, the 2.5L motor, 5MT, etc, all the goodies would come off and go into the wagon. I'm daydreaming of a semi-replica of that rally pre-runner wagon that was for sale in New Zealand. WR blue, maybe.
The SS is starting to pop serious rust, and showing it's age from living outside all the time... and having driven it for 8 years now, I'm ready for a change. (Not much of one, really :P ) I like the greater utility of the wagon.

My focus right now is getting my Vanagon back on the road and clearing the driveway, the wagon will probably have to wait 'till the fall.
Jerry

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Careful with that simple green, I think we had the engine cleaning thread already or maybe that was another forum. But someone brought up the point that simple green corrodes aluminum and you shouldn't use it to clean your engine.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Honestly right now I am feeling a 93-94 Legacy N/A LS and swapping turbo body parts. Turbo fuel economy really sucks at 350km, but it is kind of my fault can't resist getting over 3k rpm's grr. I am running 87 octane now and honestly the car seems to run smoother lol.
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4