The "New" LC Decal Thread...DECALS FINISHED

Discussion of any community projects, meetings and collaborative projects.

Moderator: Moderators

diego0decastro
In Neutral

Post by diego0decastro »

i lke the out line design as wheel, but the orignal design would lokk good as the emblem on the griil.

We use the outline sticker for our club cars, this is the one currently on my WRX.
example:
(black is the actual sticker)
'02 WRX WRB WGN
'91 LEG SS
~Eggo~
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Perhaps someone with some graphics skills should make one up with the outline?
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

Do you guys REALLY want to copy the other sites by using a car outline? You gotta be kidding me. Still, if that turns out to be the consensus, they can be done.

Think about it...Unless you're actually LOOKING for it, a small decal shaped like the Subaru emblem would go unnoticed by most people, and even if someone read it, it doesn't exactly scream "expensive parts inside" or "street racer". At the same time, if you were looking for it, it would be relatively easy to see even from a few cars away. Maybe I'm getting old, but the whole outline thing is way overplayed IMO.
http://www.slodriveracing.com
-92 SS 5MT- EJ20H swap, Haltech standalone ECU, TD04, FXT TMIC, 3" exhaust, STi/AGX struts, JDM 5-speed, 4.111 LSD rear, Blitz EBC, etc.
-'93 L Wagon - Pink Roll Cage - "Dirty Leg"
-And more!
firstgenwagon
In Neutral

Post by firstgenwagon »

I like this one, but maybe make it a tid bit smaller than 5x2.5" and put a ghost subaru logo behind it. Good work otherwise, very clean and I like the blue
Saskatoon Subaru
Second Gear

Post by Saskatoon Subaru »

i dont mind it.
2010 Impreza WRX - 265hp

1990 Legacy 267,000km(Rebuild complete 265,423km----March 9/2008)

1991 Legacy Turbo 180,000km
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

I tried to buy a sticker from laurel way back in the day but that whole thing never went through. My preference is plain, die-cut text in silver or black.
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

jamal wrote:I tried to buy a sticker from laurel way back in the day but that whole thing never went through. My preference is plain, die-cut text in silver or black.
Um, what's the point of your post? I don't know who Laurel is, and apparently you don't even want a decal. If you just want some die-cut lettering, send me a PM and I'll hook you up. If you're just trying to discourage me or this decal project, I ask that you not do it here. :)

EDIT: Sorry for sounding rude. I was only trying to keep the thread on topic; I admit it didn't come out too well.
Last edited by SLODRIVE on Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-92 SS 5MT- EJ20H swap, Haltech standalone ECU, TD04, FXT TMIC, 3" exhaust, STi/AGX struts, JDM 5-speed, 4.111 LSD rear, Blitz EBC, etc.
-And more!
joeWM
Second Gear

Post by joeWM »

haha seems like everyone is getting a little edgy about this sticker/decal business
[quote="kimokalihi"]Jesus, that's a grocery list of problems.[/quote]
92 Legacy SS 5MT....sold :(
02 Aspen white WRX Stage 2, 20%tint
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

joeWM wrote:haha seems like everyone is getting a little edgy about this sticker/decal business
LOL, maybe you're right. I'll be happy to make whatever everyone decides on, whatever it is. Besides, if I want something else, I can always make it. :-D No more opinions from me...carry on...
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

SLODRIVE- can you rough up what decal might look like w/ a Legacy outline? I lack the graphics abilities, otherwise I'd take a crack at it. I maintain that it'll look too annonymous, though.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

beatersubi wrote:SLODRIVE- can you rough up what decal might look like w/ a Legacy outline? I lack the graphics abilities, otherwise I'd take a crack at it. I maintain that it'll look too annonymous, though.
I would, but to be honest I can barely draw a stick figure, lol. My wife's the actual designer (I just gave her the idea), and as busy as the shop is, I'm not sure I can talk her into another design just yet. Not that I won't try, but it will be quicker if someone else can whip something up.

The outline raises a practical question though: are you guys looking for a sedan outline or a wagon outline? It might be odd to have an outline of an sedan stuck in a wagon's window, and vice versa.

On a related note: A couple of folks have asked about putting a car outline inside the oval decal design. I looked into it... It doesn't look like that'll work too well because it'll be nearly impossible to see it well behind the text on such a small sticker, and will make the whole thing hard to read.
-And more!
firstgenwagon
In Neutral

Post by firstgenwagon »

SLODRIVE wrote: The outline raises a practical question though: are you guys looking for a sedan outline or a wagon outline? It might be odd to have an outline of an sedan stuck in a wagon's window, and vice versa.
Wagon of course :-D
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I hate to say it, but I could have told you this was going to happen :)

Everyone has an opinion and different tastes. My recommendation is to find a style or styles and just run with it. People will either get one, or they won't.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

Legacy777 wrote:I hate to say it, but I could have told you this was going to happen :)

Everyone has an opinion and different tastes. My recommendation is to find a style or styles and just run with it. People will either get one, or they won't.
LOL, you didn't have to tell me, I had a feeling it wold be like this too. That's fine though, it's good to get input even if it's painful.

(However, I AM curious as to what you admins would like to see...)
-And more!
cartwheels
Second Gear

Post by cartwheels »

SLODRIVE wrote:The outline raises a practical question though: are you guys looking for a sedan outline or a wagon outline? It might be odd to have an outline of an sedan stuck in a wagon's window, and vice versa.
The best option, in my opinion, is to make two sets of decals, one with a wagon and one with a sedan. You can't lose!
1994 Legacy TW
1993 Geo Tracker
1991 Legacy SS (finally got one!)
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

cartwheels wrote:The best option, in my opinion, is to make two sets of decals, one with a wagon and one with a sedan. You can't lose!
I totally understand your point...Unfortunately...we would all lose. To make two different styles of decals in such low volumes would either be way more expensive than I'd like them to be (as in, none would sell), or I would lose money just in labor. Trust me, it's more work than most folks think to make good-looking, quality decals, even with a good image to start with.

Dont get me wrong, maybe sometime in the future if there's a lot of demand I might be able to do something. But for now, it'll have to be one design.
-And more!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

SLODRIVE wrote:LOL, you didn't have to tell me, I had a feeling it wold be like this too. That's fine though, it's good to get input even if it's painful.

(However, I AM curious as to what you admins would like to see...)

I'm not a big sticker/decal fan. So I'm not sure my opinion would represent the majority. I prefer something smaller, and would have an outline of lettering, and if any other surrounding graphics were present, they would be oulined, and not filled with a background color. That is probably way to wordy and confusing.

For the image you posted, I would just leave the lettering, and possibly the oval surround. I would not include the blue background.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
253.Asmo
First Gear

Post by 253.Asmo »

OK, so I just briefly glanced through this thread. Didn't read everything sorry! If you need graphic design work, please go ahead and contact me directly, at mjm.234@gmail.com I should be able to at least lend a hand

I've done photoshop and illustrator work for years, among other things. I used to work for a clothing company in San Diego, and we used to run vinyl decals and stuff for cars all the time, so I have a pretty good understanding of how much $$ and all that crap goes into this stuff.

I was doing my usual lurking/searching thing and saw this thread and got all instantly excited.

Legacy777, hit me up if you need something specific, especially if it's an outline or something like that, that's pretty simply and straightforward. I'll go back and read through a bit later to get an idea what you guys are looking for.

Thanks!
Matt
'94 White SS / 5MT - daily, absolute piece of a beater

'90 Red Sedan - EJ22T / 5mt Swap - drove it, SOLD it

'91 black SS / 5MT - (215/230k miles. eng/body)
[RIP - drove, hit, cracked a piston, swapped and stripped for swap again]
253.Asmo
First Gear

Post by 253.Asmo »

oval logo farther up on the page?

looks very very basic, not very good at all. no offense meant. reminds me of word art in MSword :(

sorry for being blunt, that's MY opinion. i will definitely throw something together if you guys have any suggestions to run with. i completely love graphic design stuff :)

EDIT:: what i've gathered after i went back and read through. some sort of outline of our cars? I'll throw together a few different angles, with/without text to see how that looks.

I always enjoyed stickers on cars as being one or two colors, not multi-colored, and not really die cut. I KNOW I could have some vinyl cut by my old boss down in san diego, maybe i'll have him run me some prototypes or something.
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

253.Asmo wrote:oh and that oval logo farther up on the page?

terrible. reminds me of word art in MSword :(

sorry for being blunt, that's my professional opinion there :)
Let's see what you come up with in your spare time, for free I might add. You're going to have to make your own at this point...My wife (who I'm SURE is 10x the designer you are) read this already, and I'll be lucky to talk her into doing this at all. If (and when ) I do, you can bet there won't be any stickers from me on your car, no matter how they come out.

Nice going genius. :roll:
-And more!
253.Asmo
First Gear

Post by 253.Asmo »

Well, I edited that post before you had a chance to reply, yeah, I was a bit more blunt than I should have been, my apologies. I hadn't read through at that point, and I did not know it was your wife that had made it. I didn't go out of my way to attack her, for all i know she IS 10x the designer I am, but I would go ahead and say that the oval design probably doesn't do her justice in that case. ANYONE can write some text, throw a couple blending options on it, a little glare here, gradient there, and pow they just recreated the above graphic in about 10 min.

I really just wanted to offer up my services (obviously for free), as graphic design is something which both excites and interests me quite a lot, and that I've done for years as both a hobby and as a job.

Now, don't take this the wrong way either, but if you can't stand a little criticism over the internet, to the point of complete discouragement, then perhaps internet message boards are not your place after all.

--------------------

Please accept my sincere apologies, I've said what I have to say, and would like to move on. Please PM me if you have anything else to say which won't move this thread forward.

I'm going to play around with some ideas and hopefully by this weekend or something I can have a few roughs up for review. Any other ideas anyone?

Matt
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

An idea: someone with graphic design skill (not me) comes up w/ two or three designs that have been mentioned previously in the thread and start a 'poll' thread so we can vote on which one best represents us. Some key elements IMO, subtle, identifiable, and cheap.
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

beatersubi wrote:An idea: someone with graphic design skill (not me) comes up w/ two or three designs that have been mentioned previously in the thread and start a 'poll' thread so we can vote on which one best represents us. Some key elements IMO, subtle, identifiable, and cheap.
That's actually the ultimate plan. I was going to set up a poll once we had a few designs people seem to like, and have graphics for such. Since a few people asked about the oval design with a clear background and in gray or black, I'll have something posted up real soon to show everyone. And yes, my wife's cooled down now.

A couple of things to think about:

-Size is NOT an issue at this point. Once a design is figured out, I hope to print out one example and post a picture of it on a Legacy. We'll just make an educated guess for the appropriate size at the shop, then you all can tell me if it's too big or small, and go from there.

-If you plan on posting in this thread just to complain about other member's designs, and have no ideas or designs of your own to contribute...please, please do us all a favor and save it for NASIOC (lol). This is not a battle of egos or a design competition, simply an attempt to make a relatively simple, AFFORDABLE decal for all of us. That doesn't mean input isn't welcome...in fact, your input is critical...ehhh, you know what I mean! :wink:
-And more!
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

As promised, here's just a simple version of the previous design:

It could easily be made darker, of course, or in any color.
-And more!
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

If the top and bottom rows were shifted so that the 'bbs.' could fit in front and the '.org' could fit behind the text, the oval could be made smaller, and the text would better fill it. There's a lot of air space inside the oval.
Otherwise, looks great. Simple, subtle, easy.