turbo lag.... any solutions?

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

so is there a part number to that plate? or should we just make one?

also im having a wierd problem now:
it used to just happen sometimes, now it happens all the time. If i punch the gas it will cut out, reminds me of when my fuel pump went out on my old MR2. But the fuel pump was replaced with a walbro 255 not too long ago from what the previous owner told me. I am completely clueless as to what this could be. Prev. owner said to unplug the MAF and plug it back in... dont really see why that would be causing what seems to be a fuel problem but who knows... anyways i tried it and it didnt fix it so im clueless... any ideas guys?
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT: Revtronix Stage 2 Set-up with a few other "tasteful" mods :D
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

Its the knock sensor. Very likely there is a crack in the wire somewhere that Kelly never found. And/or the knock sensor is bad.
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Make the plate
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

thanks doug... Ya when i bought it the knock sensor wasnt plugged in at all then i decided to plug it in... but fortunately he bought me a replacement before i bought it so i will put the new one in tomorrow and see what that does... and im hoping we can make that plate tomorrow as well... is there anything else i need to know about besides that cork gasket and to not do anything to the car until that is replaced?
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT: Revtronix Stage 2 Set-up with a few other "tasteful" mods :D
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Use some gasket sealant both sides of the plate....

Make sure the O2 sensor is working.... Do you have a laptop to watch the PP6 live? If so, you can watch the O2 sensor via that....
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

no... unfortunately i dont have a laptop. im planning on buying one soon or selling my stereo to get one. is there any other way to verify that its working? BTW i unplugged the knock sensor and the problem immediately went away... thanks alot that was really starting to scare me. Ill be putting in the new one tomorrow. So the only problems right now is massive boost lag and the idle issue so im hoping that plate will take care of both of those for the most part... Thanks again doug i really appreciate your help
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Is it still hitting at 4500 rpm? That is pretty late for a turbo that size, which from my research should make about what an 18G does.

Pics of the up pipe and DP could help, as they could be a factor. Above all else, get some logs and tuning done.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
GodSquadMandrake
First Gear

Post by GodSquadMandrake »

Hey people will do what they want with their cars and that's fine. I hope you get it fixed the way you like it.
-Doug Wilson
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

ya, i still have like a rediculous amount of turbo lag. Im going to replace that plate asap, and fix the DP (even tho most ppl say it wont cause lag) still, just something i want to do. Im hoping that will fix most of it but i guess we will see whenever i can get around to making that plate
GodSquadMandrake
First Gear

Post by GodSquadMandrake »

I'm still confused about this plate. Is this the plate that is like a spacer so that your throttle body linkage clears the manifold because you have the EJ20H manifold and the TB is flipped? I have the same manifold dude and all I did was shave the throttle body linkage down with an angle grinder and it clears the manifold now. The piece that hits is just like the back stop and for some reason it extends out WAY further than it needs to. This is how I put my setup together. I'm not sure if you have the same setup but I just thought I would throw that out there. I know Slodrive has the same issue.
-Doug Wilson
Kelly
Fourth Gear

Post by Kelly »

93forestpearl wrote:
but statements like this are rather immature and do very little to help people and a community like this. [/quote]

Your immature, Mr Poopy Pants. :wink:
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

What statement? :smt017 Your quote is empty, homie. Learn the internet before talking shit.

Telling a guy that the car is fully built when it is far from such a thing is immature.

A stock 22T shortblock ran with a piggyback is newb stuff when trying to talk big game. What kind of advance was the motor at BTDC at peak torque? I'm at about 15°, which is damn good for a Subaru with a medium sized turbo(larger than a 20g, and not quite a 35-40R.) There is one piggyback that works well, and not a single person here is using it. It ran a GT3076R quite well.

You wanna talk, bring it to pm's.
→Dan

asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

93forestpearl wrote:There is one piggyback that works well, and not a single person here is using it. It ran a GT3076R quite well.
Do tell!
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

MAF Translator Pro. You need a wideband to run it, but it ran an SS quite well. The guy that does the firmware for it flowbenched an SS MAF for my buddy to get the transfer function from the sensor to be able to run the SS under speed density. The MAF T Pro also has a really nice closed loop boost control logic built in, along with other CL logic for cruising. Look them up at Full Throttle Speed dot com.

PM if you need more details.
→Dan

Kelly
Fourth Gear

Post by Kelly »

93forestpearl wrote:What statement? :smt017 Your quote is empty, homie. Learn the internet before talking shit.

Sorry, its my first time on the internets, and Ive never built any badass Subarus before (oh ya, except that one time when I did it professionally for 4 years)

I like how your some sort of expert about MY CAR. dipshit.
tturnpaw
First Gear

Post by tturnpaw »

555BCTurbo wrote:
You could just get a 2 step rev limiter...they work very well for boost building...and don't hurt the motor too much
Actually, two step does not do any damage whatsoever. Its a soft rev limiter. Most new automatic cars have them now a days. Ive run two step too many times to count, and even checked for surging and blade deflection, both of which were nonexistent on my twin turbo 1jz.

Its not as effective as anti lag, but it sure does the job.

Then again, i dont hold it for five minutes at a time.
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

ok guys gheese, i appreciate everyones input, but this was Kelly's car and he built it, i wouldnt even have posted this if i knew i could have gotten into contact with him through here (at first i thought he no longer used these forums since he doesnt have the car). From what i know kelly worked at Rallitek for quite some time so im more than sure he knows what he is talking about especially when it comes to a car that he built. And kelly didnt tell me the car was fully built, i didnt even buy it from him. Maybe the car isnt COMPLETELY built but there are very few things i could do to the car that havent been touched yet.
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

Kelly knows his stuff /thread
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I once saw Kelly pout. I like to call him Mr PoopyPants.