Jillian's story!

Show us your Legacy pictures and videos.

Moderator: Moderators

beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

That looks really nice. Anxiously awaiting pics of the finished door panel.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

kimokalihi wrote:So you are going to paint the rest of the door?
Yeah... hopefully it will look something like this... only clean and uniform. lol

I'm going to try and do the black on the door panel tomorrow. The dark grey is going to have to wait a while. Can't afford more dye. >_<
Matthew aka F[b][color=red]k[/color][/b]yx
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan "Jillian" - [url=http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=39548]EJ20G swap[/url]
joeWM
Second Gear

Post by joeWM »

haha i like the fresh painted handle on the dirt coverd door
[quote="kimokalihi"]Jesus, that's a grocery list of problems.[/quote]
92 Legacy SS 5MT....sold :(
02 Aspen white WRX Stage 2, 20%tint
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

Here's some progress:

It's so freaking clean. I look at parts that seem like they're covered in fluids, but they're just really shiny and dry.
What exactly is this?
I plan to copy Devan (livestrong14) on these:
Noticed a few issues with the TD05... Barrett called his source and told them about it. They're going to hook me up with an undamaged turbo, so it's all good. Just need to pack this beezy up and ship it back to him.
76,433 miles!

A quick question... what spark plug wires should I get for this? I'm assuming NGK is the brand to go with, but what exactly should I be asking for?
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan "Jillian" - [url=http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=39548]EJ20G swap[/url]
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Fkyx wrote:What exactly is this?
It's the Idle air controller. The EJ22 has one just like it, but on the opposite side of the throttlebody.

Engine looks nice.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

Interesting. Can't believe I never noticed it.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Which engine is that, how much was it and where did you get it from? I'm guessing that's an EJ20G from a JDM WRX?
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

The engine is an EJ20G from a JDM GC8 Impreza. Barrett from AllWheelsDriven in Bend, OR hooked me up. Cost me $1100 shipped to his shop, and I went to pick it up. The price is pretty hefty, but this engine looks CLEAN.
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

A quick question here... is the flywheel that come on this EJ20G compatible with WRX clutch kits? I'm looking to buy a new clutch. Also, can anyone tell me what type of clutch (pull vs push) I'm running based on this picture?

rallyguy_777
First Gear

Post by rallyguy_777 »

I BELIEVE you are running a push clutch because the actuator pushes on the clutch fork. or I could be worng and it is a pull clutch because the clutch fork pulls on the bearing. need to be clarified lol
Massimo Narini

93 legacy Turbo (aka Gracie)
-Turbo XS boost controller(6/12psi), WRX TMIC, STI sways,04 STI struts, 3'' DP, lightweight pulley,
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

That is a turbo style pull clutch. If you look at the slave cylinder, it is positioned to "push" towards the engine. The pivot pin will will cause this motion to "pull" the throwout bearing away from the flywheel to release the clutch.

Once your EJ20G (or EJ22T) flywheel is resurfaced it will work with any WRX ('02-'05) clutch. It will most likely work even before it's resurfaced. I've heard that there is a minor step on a EJ20G/EJ22T flywheel that will get machined off with the first resurface. I, personally, can't say if that it true or not.

Any lightweight WRX (same years) flywheel will work also.
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Honestly I think the IAC is much better off over there and the water tank relocated. The IAC is so cramped as is, and there is crap loads of hoses there to begin with also there is insane heat, but I doubt that matters. Main thing is it sucks if you want to pull the IAC and clean it or something.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

PhyrraM wrote:it will work with any WRX ('02-'05) clutch. It will most likely work even before it's resurfaced. I've heard that

You sure about that? There is a 3mm difference between the SS and WRX clutches
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

So I started pulling parts off of the EJ22T to be put on the EJ20G... and now I'm a little worried.

This is "fresh" oil, and it literally poured out of this section of pipe:
The uppipe extends to the right here

What do you guys think about what those photos are telling me? The chunks of aluminum in the turbo have me a little worried about what I'll find when I crack the block.

How should I go about cleaning the exhaust manifold (inside and outside)?

And here are a couple clutch pics:
EJ20G clutch

My clutch

Turns out my clutch is an Exedy kit... I knew that, but for some reason it didn't click when I was asking about clutch earlier. If I'm not mistaken, this means I can reuse my current flywheel with a new Exedy clutch kit... or am I dreaming?
Fkyx wrote:A quick question... what spark plug wires should I get for this [EJ20G]? I'm assuming NGK is the brand to go with, but what exactly should I be asking for?
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

Alright. So I got the EJ20G on the stand and started to look at the electrical stuff. I REALLY don't want to have to disassemble everything to get the harness out.

So the short question is: How do I go about "merging" the EJ20G and EJ22T harnesses to keep ignition working?

Long version: I noticed the main connectors for the harnesses are different. So I'm assuming I'll have to swap the EJ22T connectors over to the EJ20G harness. Plus, one of the plugs on the EJ20G harness was cut off, anyway.

Does anyone know for sure if I can just cut the connectors from the EJ22T harness, color-match the wires between the harnesses and splice them together? If I can do this, then I can leave the wires running to the coilpack on the EJ22T harness uncut and just splice the other ones together. I feel pretty confident in my wire splicing abilities, so if I can do this, it would be much preferable.

Assuming I successfully merge the harnesses, will I still need to use the EJ22T cam/crank sensors?

Lastly...
Fkyx wrote:A quick question... what spark plug wires should I get for this [EJ20G]? I'm assuming NGK is the brand to go with, but what exactly should I be asking for?
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Take the word of experience....Put the Legacy harness on the EJ20G. I know it seems like removing the manifold is a pain, but compared to having a wiring mistake, it's nothing.

No the colors do not match. You would need to get out the manuals OR trace the wires.

I've done it and will offer services affordably. PM me if you wish to persue. I will attempt to do a writeup in the next few days for you, but no promises.
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

PhyrraM wrote:Take the word of experience....Put the Legacy harness on the EJ20G. I know it seems like removing the manifold is a pain, but compared to having a wiring mistake, it's nothing.

No the colors do not match. You would need to get out the manuals OR trace the wires.

I've done it and will offer services affordably. PM me if you wish to persue. I will attempt to do a writeup in the next few days for you, but no promises.
Alright. Should I also swap over that pipe that runs across the top of the block (don't know the right term for it), so that I won't have to extend any sensor wires?
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

I believe that the sensors on the EJ22T pipe interfere with the EJ20G manifold. You will need to extend a few wires for the IAC anyways. And you will need to swap the crank/cam sensors for the EJ22T ones.

Check later tonight and I'll try to have some some pictures.
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

That's a good point. I keep forgetting about that IAC. lol
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

I swapped coolant pipes when I did an EJ20G swap in an SS with no problems
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

Some more stuff:

Mostly completed door. Trying to figure out what to do with the lower tray area...

Started working on getting the harness out... decided to just remove enough to get the intake manifold to move. AND there was one freaking hose that I just couldn't get loose.

Here's the flywheel. Do I REALLY have to get it resurfaced?

Oh... and I feel quite stupid now. I was unplugging the injectors on the new motor and was wondering why the plugs were different between each injector on each side... then I thought... well the correct injector needs to fire at the right time. THEN I realized I didn't mark the connectors when I removed the harness from the EJ22T.

So now I don't know which connector goes to which injector. I'm assuming I'll have to unwrap the old harness and trace some wires to find out?
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

EJ22T- Front injector connectors (#1 & #2) have white tape wrapped around the sleeve. Rear injector connectors (#3 & #4) are plain.

Ej20G- Front injector connectors (#1 & #2) are made from light grey plastic. Rear injector connectors (#3 & #4) are made from dark grey plastic.

That flywheel needs resurfacing.
Last edited by PhyrraM on Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

Thanks PhyrraM! I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. :)
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Pics are up.

And... your welcome.
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

Looking at this clutch/flywheel combination:

Here

Opinions?