94 Legacy Sport RATTLE??

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I'll second the OEM PCV.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Florin1
Fourth Gear

update

Post by Florin1 »

Thanks to all who gave me all the tips!!! Bled my lifters today and slapped it all back together.. and?... SUCCESS!!! :D :-D No more rattle!! I'm so happy. thank you guys very much. Now i just gotta find a place who sells silicone hoses so i can replace my broken boost control line. Any ideas where i can go to get one? I'm north of Seattle, in Lynnwood. I took some cell phone pictures of the actual bleeding process for future people, because i couldn't really find any in the searches. Here the are: Image
rocker taken apart. (probably doesn't need to be done but i wanted to inspect and lube everything)
Pulling the lifter (i ended up using needle nose for all)
I completely submerged the lifter in motor oil and pushed it against the bottom for pressure, and than stuck a tack in the hole to push the ball. Than air would come out. I repeated the process until no more bubbles came out on each lifter.
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
subytech
Second Gear

Post by subytech »

I'd just like to add that talking to all the old timers and master techs at my dealership they all say thay there really isn't any reason you can't save an HLA all you need to do is soak the really stubborn ones in some solvant and exercise them while in the solvant. Can't say I've actually done it but have seen some really bad one fixed this way at work.
92 Legacy Turbo, 5sp MT, Early Large CC 20G heads, Ported custom clocked td04, Cobb catted DP, Injen SS 3" exhaust, Turbosmart MBC @ 10psi, Apexi 20g intake, custom FMIC, Fidanza 11lb flywheel, stock 05 WRX clutch
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

subytech wrote:I'd just like to add that talking to all the old timers and master techs at my dealership they all say thay there really isn't any reason you can't save an HLA all you need to do is soak the really stubborn ones in some solvant and exercise them while in the solvant. Can't say I've actually done it but have seen some really bad one fixed this way at work.
Thanks for the info. I may have to do that since i think i may hear the sound starting to come back. :x
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
yazmo
Third Gear

Re: 94 Legacy Sport RATTLE??

Post by yazmo »

hi guy look good, nice post great and pic too
i want to do the job.
but my engine dont sound like your mine s really tic tic tic tic sound
yazmo
Third Gear

Re: 94 Legacy Sport RATTLE??

Post by yazmo »

also i read josh say by the mean time when doing a lifter job you should replace grommet?

i try to look what grommet is on haynes manual i dint see anything about it!
also try to find the gasket for the valve cover on google nothing come out.

i really to would like to get this done before im getting back at work?
so if anyone as part number for these pls let me know