Joe's 1992 Legacy SS/TW Documentary

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Re: Joe's 1992 Legacy SS Documentary

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

-Well today I picked up another throttle body. Doesn't look like the TPS or anything else has been tampered with. So I was going to put it on today.
-My question is can I just use some red gasket maker or do i have to get another stock gasket?

-Joe
-I'd rather loose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch cause someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don't let someone else write the book. ~Moog
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You can try reusing the stock gasket, assuming it's the newer style. If it's not, I'd get a new stock gasket.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

-Thanks for your input Josh!
-Got my SS grill last night...
-Car runs but still has the idle issue. Is there a such thing of wire diagrams for the IAC, TPS, etc?
-Joe
-I'd rather loose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch cause someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don't let someone else write the book. ~Moog
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You'll find what you need in this thread.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14485
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

-Thanks once again Josh.
-Turns out it was the wiring on the IAC. Just swapped the 2 colored wires and car runs fine. Idle is a little high, about 1,200 rpms, but I was told it was cause of the knock sensor will raise the rpms when not working correctly. Check engine light is still on so thats the only thing that it can be. So I have that to figure out and still need to bleed all 4 brakes and I have a running car again!
-Joe
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Reset the ECU. It may have bad learned idle trims that need to be cleared.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

-Well finally was able to bleed the brakes today. They feel good! Still idle's high but I have some time to fix it. Now just have to wait for more money to roll in so I can take the car to the next step!
-Joe
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

-Today I changed the oil. While doing so I disconnected the battery for an hour to reset the computer. I let it run till the fans turned on. The check engine light came on so I need to check that. My question is how! What wire goes where on the ecu?
-With the car running and idling at 1,400 rpms, my boost gauge reads 13 on the vacuum side. Is this normal? Where should vacuum be at?
-Joe
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I think my car at idle is around 18-20.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

-I don't have nothing major done to mine, and I thought normal idle was around 500-700 rpms!
-Joe
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

It is. Should be around 700rpm.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

-My codes that I have to deal with:
-22 Knock sensor Abnormal voltage produced in knock sensor monitor circuit Sets in regular fuel map and retards ignition timing
-24 Air control valve Air control valve inoperative (Abnormal signal produced in monitor circuit) Prevents abnormal engine speed using "fuel cut" in relation to engine speed, vehicle speed, and throttle sensor position
-31 Throttle sensor Abnormal voltage input entered from throttle sensor Sets throttle sensor's voltage output to a fixed value
-Joe
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

-Is it possible that one code can trigger another code? For example: code 31, based on what the AVC-R is telling me, I'm in correct voltage range between open and closed throttle. So why would I have a code 31? Could code 22 or 24 automatically trigger code 31 at the same time?

-Joe
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Where and what have you tapped into for the AVC-R?

Were these codes present before you wired in the AVC-R?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

Legacy777 wrote:Where and what have you tapped into for the AVC-R?

Were these codes present before you wired in the AVC-R?
-The AVC-R was already pre-existing when I purchased the car.
-Did some testing last night with an ohm meter on the TPS, IAC, coolant temp, and others, everything checked out within spec based on the info on your site except for the knock sensor. It does have a cracked housing, so by the end of the week I should have a new knock and see if that fixes everything. I just don't see how this knock sensor can trigger all these other problems and codes, 22, 24, 31.

-Joe
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, I'd get the knock sensor replaced. Don't sweat the other codes until you get the knock sensor replaced and reset the codes.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

-I just find it odd! My girls 2000 2.5rs has the CEL light on and its cause of the knock sensor but her idle isn't all crazy!
-As soon as I get the knock sensor replaced I'll let you guys know if it fixed it!

-Joe
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

The service manual says that when there are multiple codes, start with the lower number code first, progressing up through the higher codes.
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

kleinkid wrote:The service manual says that when there are multiple codes, start with the lower number code first, progressing up through the higher codes.
-Thank you for that! Code 22 knock sensor it is!
-Joe
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

-For the last couple of days I found some stuff to do for free! Since being a carpet technician/cleaner and having the work van, I put it to use and cleaned all carpet, floor mats, and seats. Today I found my high temp red paint and painted the calipers!
Here's a couple inside pics!
-Joe
91legacyawdturbo
Second Gear

Post by 91legacyawdturbo »

Well Joe's car has been fun, we found that the iacv contol unit was faulty we swaped it out with a spare. The rpms are right where we want them 6-700 rpms but the check engine light is still on, it keeps reading code 24 we cant get it to go away!
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

91legacyawdturbo wrote:Well Joe's car has been fun, we found that the iacv contol unit was faulty we swaped it out with a spare. The rpms are right where we want them 6-700 rpms but the check engine light is still on, it keeps reading code 24 we cant get it to go away!
-Yea and it's still there too!
-Finally got a TD04. almost new only 14k on it!
-Been pretty busy with the car this weekend. I have the whole interior ripped out. Found some more problems but now fixed. Redoing all the wiring to the 2 amps. Put in a bass knob. hopefully meet up with this guy, in town, who said his wrx was wrecked and he has all the interior parts for sale. I need a center console so see what he has maybe come home with something useful!
-Joe
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

-Does anyone know what wire comes off the AT ECU when swapping to a MT?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

What exactly are you trying to do?

The turbo legacy ECU's are the same, no wire modification is needed.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

-From what I've read, there's a wire that comes off the ECU for an AT. My legacy was originally an AT but now is a MT. I guess your suppose to disconnect the wire to let the ECU know you don't have an AT anymore. Correct me if I'm wrong!
-Joe