Crankshaft Pulley Wobble

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: Crankshaft Pulley Wobble

Post by kimokalihi »

No it fits in the groove only one way so that shouldn't be the issue. The issue is always that someone didn't torque it down to 120-130 ft lbs and the bolt works it's way loose and wobbles causing wear from the key in the notch of the pulley and then it shears the notch out and you need a new pulley. If it's wobbling it will also eat up your accessory belts over time so if you find little crumbs of rubber all over the place that's what that is from. If it's wobbling, remove it immediately and inspect the notch in the pulley and the key in the crank and replace either one if they're worn at all and torque to 120 ft lbs.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Danny-G
Fourth Gear

Post by Danny-G »

I parked the car almost immediatly after I discovered the wobbling pully. I got the pully off and noticed the key isn't flat on the end and about half of where the key goes into the pully is a large notch.
Back of the pully, I'm pretty sure I need to replace it.
Key, not sure if its good or if I need to replace it.
Danny
biggreen96 wrote:well get out there and smash that geo around and get comfy.
1993 Legacy LS Awd: lifted, 4eat, higher mileage, and dirty.
1994 Legacy Turbo wagon: rwd, 4eat, and a faint knock..
1992 Legacy postal: bone stock, 4eat, blown reverse.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah that pulley is toast.

The key I can't really tell from the picture. If you put the crank bolt back in the crank and slowly rotate the engine in either direction is there play between when you start to turn the crank and when the belt & gear moves?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

I got the lightweight pulley in. The regular pulley wasn't really screwed up, but it was eating away at the plastic timing cover behind it... not sure what that means. it had been grinding against it to the point there it made a circular divet around the plastic case. Now the woodruff key looks a little chewed up. I could also move it up and down with my fingernail, like in and out of the crankshaft but it locked on to the pulley tightly. Cranked it down to 120 lbs of torque. I put on the new pulley with new belts, it looks good. I started it and it looks like it may be wobbling a little bit, but not as bad as before at all. it's pretty straight. Cleaned everything up a bit, did a Seafoam flush, new oil and new filter and it's running super good. I am pretty happy with these results. I figure the motor has 25k left in it before it's toast and I gotta swap it out. But for now everything seems pretty sound. Not having any issues with the underdrive pulley.
the guy who had the really low winestone SS on the corvette wheels
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

new pulley is still wobbling a bit. any thoughts? crankshaft key is toasted? or even warped? idk i'm just gonna save up and hopefully find a wrecked turbo leggy. this motor has seen better days. still runs good, though.
Danny-G
Fourth Gear

Post by Danny-G »

Just to update on my wobbling pully. I got everything replaced I needed to, pully, key, gear that drives the timing belt. I got the timing right, everything is back on, crank bolt has been tightened till my body couldn't give anymore so its gotta be damn near 120 lbs, I get in to turn the key and it only cranks and cranks and cranks. Gas light isn't on, and the gauge isn't on empty. I'm at a loss here. The motor sounds right when its cranking so I have no clues. Anyone got any ideas at all?
Danny
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Did you knock the crank position sensor out of whack?
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Danny-G
Fourth Gear

Post by Danny-G »

I took it out and cleaned all the crud off the end. I'm gonna redo the timing just to make sure it didn't slip.
Danny
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

Anybody have thoughts on my issue? -_-
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

robertlxxii wrote:new pulley is still wobbling a bit. any thoughts? crankshaft key is toasted? or even warped? idk i'm just gonna save up and hopefully find a wrecked turbo leggy. this motor has seen better days. still runs good, though.
Did you get the pulley seated all the way against the crank gear? If the crank gear is worn, it's possible that is causing the pulley to not sit perfectly straight and causing the wobble.

Did you remove the crank gear and inspect it at all?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

Legacy777 wrote:
Did you get the pulley seated all the way against the crank gear? If the crank gear is worn, it's possible that is causing the pulley to not sit perfectly straight and causing the wobble.

Did you remove the crank gear and inspect it at all?

The pulley was seated all the way back. I did not remove the crank gear. even if there is a slight wobble, what is the worst case scenario?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Well it depends on what is the cause of the wobble. Sometimes the pullies have a slight wobble, and if it's just the pulley then it should be ok. If it's something else, it really depends on what the cause is.

It should be fine....just wanted to ask the question.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT