Added another to the collection. (updates,SIDESWIPED!)

Show us your Legacy pictures and videos.

Moderator: Moderators

PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

New (to me :P ) charcoal canister to deal with an extra hose issue the Apexi intake caused.

Yet another part I need to find time to install.

Bosal exhaust I found locally over on Nasticoc.com. Going to have to order up a foot of 3" pipe and two flanged to make the adapter. I have a 3" bellmouth downpipe on my WRX that is being traded out for the stock one. (Smog due soon). That downpipe and this Bosal should make for a nice upgrade. The tips are a bit large, but overall should look pretty stock. That was one of the goals anyways.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

Looks good, i really like that Exhaust is it possible you could give me the full name of that Exhasut?

Also if you need an oil pan i got one in decent shape i can let go for cheap, just pm me
FastRust
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

In everything I've read it's just refered to as a Bosal Twin Tip Catback Exhaust. It's for a WRX, of course.
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

Cool thanks! I like the Twin-Tip look!

Hit me up if you need that oil pan!
FastRust
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Now I just need the SS lines and the brakes can go on the car. :smt026

PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

All right. Got the brakes and exhaust installed.

ImageImage

One minor setback that was easily dealt with.

Luckily I had both a good alternator and a belt on the shelf.
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Your car is so perfect. Those rims look awesome.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

PhyrraM wrote:All right. Got the brakes and exhaust installed.

:shock: Were you working on your car without it sitting at the top of the ramps??

How do you like your exhaust sound??
SUBARUEHS Racing
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

n2x4 wrote: :shock: Were you working on your car without it sitting at the top of the ramps??

How do you like your exhaust sound??
No. Just backed up the ramps to snap a few pics.

Sound clips and write-up coming soon. (Gotta charge the camcorder) There is an exhaust leak at the end of the down-pipe. I temporarily bolted the resonated midpipe to the down pipe with crappy bolts and no gasket just to drive it to the exhaust shop. I gave the guy explicit instructions to replace the bolts and install a gasket. He did neither. The rest of the job looks OK.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

I'll start with the brakes. First you have to collect everything, right? Stock '06 WRX calipers, Kartboy rear brackets, ATI fluid, SS WRX lines, and Hawk pads. Stock resurfaced '06 WRX rotors not shown.

Stock SS rear brakes and the new rotors compared. Nice increase in diameter, which equates to more 'leverage' for the calipers.
ImageImage

New rear rotor against the stock SS dust shield. Notice in the above pic how the rotor 'sits inside' the dust shield?

The dust shield is only tacked to the backing plate with very weak tackwelds. I popped it off easily with a screwdriver. I then used a grinder with a sanding disc to knock down the leftover tackwelds.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Note that the grinding is completley optional. If you don't have the proper tools, you can do wih just popping off the dust shield with a screwdriver.

Now that the rotors fit, we need to get the caliper to fit. The SS (and any non-2 pot or Brembo Subaru) needs an adapter to fit the 2 pot rear calipers. My problem was that the brackets had a bit of interference with the backing plate. This is a known issue with the Kartboy brackets and it may or may-not happen on any given car. I'm guessing that Subaru's production tolerances varied alot on the rear hubs/backing plates.

The problem.

The solution. Looks like if your not luckier than me, a grinder is your only friend.
ImageImage

There is still plenty of thickness after grinding. I would guess that any strength I removed by grinding is more than made up for by the addition of the very rigid bracket when the two are finally bolted together.

Now it's just a simple matter of bolting the new caliper to the bracket.

Fronts went so fast I forgot to take pics, but suffice it to say that it's as simple as any other brake job. Did take a pic with the old vs. new rotor.

Brake feel is good. Ultimate braking power is about the same, as it's the same tires on the road. Pedal is a bit softer than expected, about the same as stock. I was hoping for a firmer pedal. Modulation (controlability) is much better however. I'll be looking into a larger master cylinder and the single stage booster soon. Have not done any emergency stops or hard driving (to test thermal capacity) yet.

Of course I had to switch the wheels to something that would clear these new binders.
ImageImage
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

Cool! I posted some q's on your camping thread.

Another that comes to mind is about running without a backing plate. Without getting into a big discussion what's the word on doing that? I'd heard that it's possible to pick up rocks n'stuff that don't really do much but can cause some noise issues...Hope I'm not opening up a can of worms here with the engineering crowd...

Nice work! Great pics! Thanks for posting!!!

Cheers,
AW
93SS 5MT White, TD05-16G, TMIC, 3"Turboback, Magnaflow, Alu Rad, H&R Sports, AGX struts, F/R STBs, Whiteline Sways, ALK+Endlinks, Odyssey 925, AC delete, Evo8 Recaros, Sparco 4p, 3.9 LSD, Hellas+air horns, IPD short throw, 99RSrims, s03's
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

PhyrraM wrote:Pedal is a bit softer than expected
There're a lot more caliper pistons to fill w/ the same master cylinder now. Modulation should indeed be better, though.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

Is there a Subaru single piston booster that's not a complete reengineer to swap in. I think I researched once and came to the conclusion it was a major PITA for not much bang. Am I remembering that right? ...

AW
93SS 5MT White, TD05-16G, TMIC, 3"Turboback, Magnaflow, Alu Rad, H&R Sports, AGX struts, F/R STBs, Whiteline Sways, ALK+Endlinks, Odyssey 925, AC delete, Evo8 Recaros, Sparco 4p, 3.9 LSD, Hellas+air horns, IPD short throw, 99RSrims, s03's
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Adam West wrote:.........running without a backing plate. Without getting into a big discussion what's the word on doing that? I'd heard that it's possible to pick up rocks n'stuff that don't really do much but can cause some noise issues.....
Not sure, I'll have to let everyone know how it goes.

Think this looks like a problem? Looks like almost anything that gets up there should just fall out. Maybe something might land directly on top of the caliper?
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Adam West wrote:Is there a Subaru single piston booster that's not a complete reengineer to swap in. I think I researched once and came to the conclusion it was a major PITA for not much bang. Am I remembering that right? ...
I seem to remember mention of an Impreza booster somewhere. I wanna say Josh talked about it, but not sure. You can be sure I'll post anything I uncover.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

A bit late, but here is a short write up on the exhaust install.

From left to right,
WRX 3inch bellmouth downpipe (Helix?), WRX upper-downpipe catless replacement, Stock WRX downpipe, Stock Legacy SS downpipe. I, of course, used the 3" WRX length downpipe.

Ready to install. WRX length. In fact it would drop right into a WRX as it sits in this pic.

The downpipe was a straight bolt in replacement. No mods needed to install in the SS. I then bolted the resonator section to the downpipe to drive to the muffler shop. I had to cut the hanger off the resonator because it was pushing up into the floorboard. The shop relocated the resonator hanger to use the factory mount.

The resonator was too close to the driveshaft as-is so the muffler shop put a slight bend in the pipe just after the downpipe.

End result is acceptable safe distance from the driveshaft and good ground clearance.

The rest of it was a straight shot back. You can see where the extension was added right at the differential.

The muffler itself is a tight squeeze, but it doesn't hit or bang that I have seen or heard yet.

Youtube links. I don't claim to be a film editor. :wink:
First two are in-car, windows open, camera at passenger headrest. Last one is outside the car with a pair of recruted cameramen. (Yes, they were safe)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxHl6TWPGuM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRL8lSUEZOI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpWLh0TVzac
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Not to go back-to-back without at least a few comments, but....well.....you know. :smt020 :smt006

Smaller diameter and much better condition tham my stocker.

Temporarily lost my cruise-control. But I've got a plan.
http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52693
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Lookin' hot & sounds great!!! Must be nice to have a 5sp in your SS. :(
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

I have same wheel and love it! Looking forward to seeing how you add back cruise control. Thanks for the link to the mod thread...Rock on!
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

If you visit the link to the RS25 site, they show how to reinstall the cruise control switch.
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

Yes, just checking that out...

they also show that contact pin that we need to ad to our clockspring for the horn if we don't have a complete JDM swap clockspring. I guess they were on some earlier USDM cars. I was lucky that my mechanic had one laying around to sell me...
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

What is Spencer's Transmission Cocktail...
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Likely the same as the "Scotty Cocktail" but with a lime twist. :mrgreen:
Jason
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Yes, basically trying to obtain Scotties properties with local ingredients.

Spencer (smh0101) had just done his trans at that time and I used a cocktail close to his. Hence "Spencer's Cocktail".

But lately I've been reading some not so good things about Scotties, so next change I'm thinking of going with something more traditional.

As a side note, while driving around today it dawned on me that the corners of the column chroud that were exposed by the new steering wheel would make great mini-displays for relavent info.

BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Those would all be good things to have in the shroud. Make sure you use connectors on all wiring though, so when you remove the shroud it is easy to get to. Label them, since they will likely all look the same.

What is in Spencers Cocktail though? There is a LOT of dangerous stuff out there that will DESTROY a transmission. If you tell me what's in it, I can tell you its safety.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]