Chip for stock ECU!

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

I am rocking the 90 degree inlet 16g, and want to be running 550cc STI injectors and a larger MAF.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

obviously it's a little early to talk about this, or it may have even been mentioned... i only skimmed over this thread but is there any estimate of a price?
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Bosco
Second Gear

Post by Bosco »

cj91legss wrote:obviously it's a little early to talk about this, or it may have even been mentioned... i only skimmed over this thread but is there any estimate of a price?
I don't think it was mentioned in the thread. stage 1 chip is 220$. Click the link in the first post for info.

So, the stage 1 chips are made up and ready to ship? Anyone try to order one?

This IS very exciting. I Got my fingers crossed that this whole thing doesnt somehow flop.
94 Legacy Touring Wagon - 5MT Swapped and now with 100% less turbo!
02 Legacy L wagon - Auto
92 Legacy L fwd auto
Bosco
Second Gear

Post by Bosco »

TurboBeater wrote:The other staged chips will remain on a separate board to reduce cost to the customers, but they are still upgradeable by sending them in.
Got a ballpark idea of what the "upgrade" cost would be when the time comes?
94 Legacy Touring Wagon - 5MT Swapped and now with 100% less turbo!
02 Legacy L wagon - Auto
92 Legacy L fwd auto
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

$220 isn't a bad deal at all. And it's supposed to save gas? I think I know what I want for Christmas :D
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
farfrumwork
Second Gear

Post by farfrumwork »

I think a VF8/VF12 tune could coincide, as they are very close (the 12 has a slightly larger hotside). Both are close to the small 16G that most around these parts run as well.

But anyway, I'd like a tune for:

VF12 (have)
440's (need)
Jegs MAF (need)
(and of course the TBE, and intercooler prerequisites - I don't think items like pulleys/desnorkle/Mug/etc... would play much into the equation - ???)

Maybe it was discussed, but if we were get a tune then log some data (even just AFR on a dyno plot) could we send out for a retune to adjust for specific mods/altitude (I live at 1 mile above sea level, AFR should be accounted for by the MAF - but spool times differ up here - BIG time)

-Chad
Old - '93 T-Leg - 14.693 @ 92.68 at 5800ft ASL (Bandimere Speedway)
New - 07 Spec B/stg 2

"bloodstains - speed kills -fast cars - cheap thrills -rich girls - fine wine
i've lost my sense - i've lost control - i've lost my mind" Agent Orange
TurboBeater
First Gear

Post by TurboBeater »

Yup, the stage 1 chip is in stock and ready for purchase! It's been up since last week.

Chad,
Yeah we pretty much assume for Stage 2 and up, the user would have desnorkle, coffee mug mod, TBE and intercooler.

The ECU has boost target and wastegate adjustment for high altitude, so it shouldn't be too far off to start with. It's going to run less boost to maintain the compressor pressure ratio.

Of course doing customizations and fine tuning via datalogs is well within reason, and can be done at a small extra fee, probably around $50-75 + shipping. A good log would include AFR and boost at minimum, EGT too if possible.
sublunacy
First Gear

Post by sublunacy »

makes sense stage 1 is for a stock car. probably make alot of people happy.
stage 2 td04.....+td05 plus intercooled etc?
Guess I don't know alot about the format you are working with.
The chip has to be "tuned" for the specific hardware we install, Thats what makes it better right? will it offer user adjustability.

And Do not forget the anti lag function? I want to turn it off and on?

PS I am stoked about having computer controled boost instead of manual boost controllers
Thanks Guys keep up the good work.
Im saving $300 Canadian (Hahaonthegroundlaughing) for the stage 2 kit, Does the stage 1 upgrade to the stage 2 if so?
How??

OK im done
"Hows the transition look?"
91 turbo manual
BMX in the trunk!!!
farfrumwork
Second Gear

Post by farfrumwork »

Sounds good.

I'll keep checking in to see when a stage 3 is ready for VF8/12.

In the mean time I'll pick up a Jegs MAF and some 440's.

I run about 14psi peak now with a MBC, tapering to 12psi past 5000(and it's more like 12psi in 1-2gear). But I'd love to run 16psi peak, which I currently can't due to stock MAF/injector limitations.

Later,
Chad
Old - '93 T-Leg - 14.693 @ 92.68 at 5800ft ASL (Bandimere Speedway)
New - 07 Spec B/stg 2

"bloodstains - speed kills -fast cars - cheap thrills -rich girls - fine wine
i've lost my sense - i've lost control - i've lost my mind" Agent Orange
ScottyS
Second Gear

Post by ScottyS »

Very cool.

I am interested in something that would cover the following mods: intercooler, TD04, de-snorkel, 3" exhaust, stock injectors and MAF. Not sure if Stage 1 would do so.
1991 SS build thread: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=40430
TurboBeater
First Gear

Post by TurboBeater »

I believe the Stage 1 chip would work for you, it would be similar to stock WRX boost levels. I say "believe", just to be on the conservative side, because we haven't tested to see how the new wastegate mapping works out on a TD04 yet to see if it will need tweaking or not. Underpromise and overdeliver, right?

If you want to take full advantage of the TD04 and don't mind upgrading injectors and MAF, then you'll want the Stage 2 chip which I'm working on right now. The WRX guys are running TD04's to 20psi max, we will be limited to 17psi due to the stock MAP sensor. Higher boost MAP sensor upgrades will be added in to the Stage 3 chip.

Also, update on Stage 2 tuning:
On the stock turbo I'm running 17 psi peak, tapering down to 13 psi at redline with no knock. A TD04 should be able to do 15-16psi up to redline, this may warrant bumping the limiter up to 7000rpm. AFR and EGT look good, haven't done the spark timing yet. I'm going to compare airflows at lesser boost levels to see where the gains start falling off.
ScottyS
Second Gear

Post by ScottyS »

Interesting. I'm not intimately familiar with the ins and outs of tuning, and in my case I just want reliability and not to leave any easy HP on the table.

With the stock heads and stuff I really don't see the need to try to get every last PSI out. A higher redline sounds cool, but probably not needed on my older engine.

My purposes for IC and TD04 are more based around getting more modern and correct components on a turbo car that I don't plan on going higher than 12-14PSI on. However, having the parameters set so that everything will be safe with these mild upgrades is what I would need for sure.

I'll keep paying attention to this thread....
1991 SS build thread: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=40430
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

i'm really starting to get excited, so can we convert to map and use a blow off valve instead of bpv?
93SS 04 wrx brakes/slotted w/ hawks--TD05 -- 06 I/C -- 20mm n/a fsb -- Stage 2 -- 550's -- Perrin DIV DP -- 2-3/4 Tit Exhaust -- K&N -- C/C -- A/C Delete -- Grounded -- GT Leather Interior -- WRX/STI Strut Setup -- 17" 225's -- 2 Kids Seats ;)
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

When they talk about swapping out MAF'S are they talking about the JECS one?

So go from Hitachi to JECS?
FastRust
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

94SS_Canada wrote:When they talk about swapping out MAF'S are they talking about the JECS one?

correct.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

PhyrraM wrote:
94SS_Canada wrote:When they talk about swapping out MAF'S are they talking about the JECS one?

correct.
Thanks.
FastRust
TurboBeater
First Gear

Post by TurboBeater »

Hmm, I see. For the stage 2 chip, what we could use the program switch to use medium or high boost (say 14psi vs 17psi?).

By MAP sensor upgrade I meant changing to a 2.5 or 3 bar MAP sensor for high boost (> 17psi) wastegate control. A speed-density mod can be done, but is best left for the Stage X user-tunable version.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

RJ93SS wrote:i'm really starting to get excited, so can we convert to map and use a blow off valve instead of bpv?

Running an atmospheric bov shouldn't be a reason to want your car run with speed-density.

To do so, you would need an air temp sensor near the throttle body. I doubt the factory ECU has extra inputs that you can program like that.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
TurboBeater
First Gear

Post by TurboBeater »

I completely forgot about needing an IAT for speed-density! Fortunately, eliminating the MAF frees up 2 0-5V inputs to the ECU. It would be a lot of work to wire something up and get it calibrated properly though.
flatoutfred
First Gear

Post by flatoutfred »

When should we expect to see a dyno sheet?

The product looks great, but I'm waiting for facts. :twisted:
Legacy turbo, desnorkled, intercooled, TD04, Borla catback, urethane mounts, wrx rear brakes.
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

RJ93SS wrote:
i'm really starting to get excited, so can we convert to map and use a blow off valve instead of bpv?

93forestpearl wrote:
Running an atmospheric bov shouldn't be a reason to want your car run with speed-density.

To do so, you would need an air temp sensor near the throttle body. I doubt the factory ECU has extra inputs that you can
program like that.

yes, a blow off valve, sweet, it's the only reason i want this chip, while i guess the fact that this guy lives 15 mins away and can program one specifically for my mods, wait oh yeah, that's why i want one, i forgot
93SS 04 wrx brakes/slotted w/ hawks--TD05 -- 06 I/C -- 20mm n/a fsb -- Stage 2 -- 550's -- Perrin DIV DP -- 2-3/4 Tit Exhaust -- K&N -- C/C -- A/C Delete -- Grounded -- GT Leather Interior -- WRX/STI Strut Setup -- 17" 225's -- 2 Kids Seats ;)
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

Subscribed!
'94 TW
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

RJ93SS wrote:

yes, a blow off valve, sweet, it's the only reason i want this chip, while i guess the fact that this guy lives 15 mins away and can program one specifically for my mods, wait oh yeah, that's why i want one, i forgot

If you really want to use an atmospheric bov, get a MAF Translator Pro. You can properly run speed density then.

Again, going through the BS to run the engine in speed density is not worth it if all you want to do is hear a little pssst. Get an open element air filter, and you can hear it all day.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
91legacyawdturbo
Second Gear

Post by 91legacyawdturbo »

Ok so these chips are sounding F-ing AWSOME! I have a pp6 waiting to be installed but I would love to try this out. stage 2?
I'm running a stock Ej22t, VF10, Tmic, hks ssqv bov, TBE, According to the liberty guys the jdm greys are 380's but I've been told they're 440's? stock style fuel pump, I live a mile high as well. I also have the JEC's maf on a shelf!
91 SS, v9 ej207 twin scroll swap, Gda wrx dash swap.
2002 wrx sport wagon
TurboBeater
First Gear

Post by TurboBeater »

Yup, stage 2 works for you. You can run whichever injectors you want (as long as they are big enough). Just let us know which ones you're using and it will get programmed in.

The VF10 is a little bigger than the VF11 so I bet it could run more boost in the high RPM range instead of tapering down to 13psi at redline with the VF11. Does anyone have compressor maps for VF8, VF10, VF12? I can't find anything.

RJ93SS,
If you bring the car we can try tuning the low load areas of the fuel map to correct for a BOV. I tried to put on on my car but couldn't adjust the stupid thing to not surge and not leak at idle at the same time.