Jillian's story!

Show us your Legacy pictures and videos.

Moderator: Moderators

PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

I have that exact combo for about a year and 12K miles behind my stockish EJ22T. No problems or complaints.

I paid more, but bought them seperately. So I would say it's a good price too.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

Worked on the harness a bit today. Unwrapped the majority of it (after marking the injector plugs) to see if I could make some modifications to it. Here's what I came up with:

It isn't too much different, nor is it complete. I test-fit it before rewrapping portions of it. It was held together with zip ties temporarily. I relocated a couple of branches, which allows me to avoid extending the IAC wire. Still need to extend the wires for the coolant pipe sensors.

I looked all over the intake manifold for the male side of the green connector (marked with ??????), but I couldn't find it. Is it supposed to be missing?

Anyway, what do you guys think?
Matthew aka F[b][color=red]k[/color][/b]yx
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan "Jillian" - [url=http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=39548]EJ20G swap[/url]
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Your "??????" is for the canister purge solinoid on the EJ22T manifold. I don't believe the EJ20G has it (in most contries). I think you will throw a code without it on the EJ22T ECU. If you do get a code, just plug it in and bolt it to a convienent bolt but don't try to plumb it in.

The "something on block" most likely goes to the oil pressure sender near the crank pully.

Yours is a '91, correct? I know the main plugs @the battery area are different on the '92+, but I had one more connector with ONLY grounds on it. Does your also have that?

Don't forget to swap your crank and cam sensors for the Legacy ones also. They plug into the back of the block.
fatgc8
First Gear

Post by fatgc8 »

keep up the good work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2005 STi (500WHP with "SlowSTi" as the license plate lol (Weekend Warrior)
1991 Legacy ss JDM EJ20G swap with STi goodies (DD)
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

PhyrraM wrote:Your "??????" is for the canister purge solinoid on the EJ22T manifold. I don't believe the EJ20G has it (in most contries). I think you will throw a code without it on the EJ22T ECU. If you do get a code, just plug it in and bolt it to a convienent bolt but don't try to plumb it in.

The "something on block" most likely goes to the oil pressure sender near the crank pully.

Yours is a '91, correct? I know the main plugs @the battery area are different on the '92+, but I had one more connector with ONLY grounds on it. Does your also have that?

Don't forget to swap your crank and cam sensors for the Legacy ones also. They plug into the back of the block.
Got it! So you're saying pull the canister purge solenoid from the EJ22T and mount it on the EJ20G without plumbing it?

I know where the "something on block" connects, just didn't know what it's called. I bet you're right, though... since it's near the front of the engine.

There is a third plug that has a single ground on it. I just haven't merged it with this harness, since I wasn't making any modifications to it. Need to decide where I want to bolt it....

Crank and cam sensors were the first thing I swapped when I pulled the intake manifold! :) They were really the only things I was sure needed swapping, aside from the coilpack.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan "Jillian" - [url=http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=39548]EJ20G swap[/url]
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

More work woo!
The completed harness. It's mounted, but not ziptied down.

The other one is quite horrible... I really messed the paint up, but don't feel like doing it over... so I'll just not show photos. lol

Can't do a whole lot lately. Waiting on funds to purchase the new clutch/flywheel, then I'll be able to finally get around to dropping the engine in.

I wonder if anyone could answer this: Does the throttle body sit further back in the engine back with this setup than with the stock EJ22T? I'm curious as to whether or not I'll be able to refit my old intercooler.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

It's very close to the same place.

This is with the EJ20G:

This is with the EJ22T:

Valve covers look good. What do you have planned for the coil? Mine is just ziptied up off the alternator post ATM. Planning a bracket similier to SlowDrives.
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

PhyrraM wrote:Valve covers look good. What do you have planned for the coil? Mine is just ziptied up off the alternator post ATM. Planning a bracket similier to SlowDrives.
I'm not sure what exactly I'm going to do. I like SlowDrive's bracket also, but I don't have the fabbing skills to replicate it. I'm probably going to order from Magnecor and get some custom lengths, regardless.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

If your going to order custom wires, search out some of Livestrong14 (?) old posts. Before he did the USDM swap he was running an EJ20G and I seem to remember his coil being mounted nicely also.
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

PhyrraM wrote:If your going to order custom wires, search out some of Livestrong14 (?) old posts. Before he did the USDM swap he was running an EJ20G and I seem to remember his coil being mounted nicely also.
I've been using Livestrong14's swap thread(s) as a reference from the start, actually. I love his car so much!

Also considering "scrapping" the old exhaust manifold and purchasing an ebay special. Are there any manifolds that won't fit?
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

You mean Ebay headers/uppipe?

There is lots of debate over the pros/cons of using a cheapo non-coated header over the stock exhaust. Some say they lose too much heat, some say exhaust velocity is better.

The only thing I know is that a factory header/uppipe is good for over 300hp. Reason enough for me to keep it. Also I, personally, feel MUCH better knowing that all the rubber hoses around the waterpump and turbo are much cooler/safer with the factory heatshields.

If you've got the cashflow to support 400+HP, then a set of nice coated headers is just a drop in the bucket. Until that point the meager budget I have is better spent elsewhere. IMHO, of course.

EDIT: Oh, almost for got the question....Anything meant for a USDM WRX will work just fine. Most things for an STI will work also, but shop carefully, the oilpan is a slightly different shape on any EJ255/257.
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

You make a good point. I was planning on wrapping whatever manifold I end up using, anyway. Do you think that'd make up for the possible heat issue in ebay headers/uppipe?
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Fkyx wrote:You make a good point. I was planning on wrapping whatever manifold I end up using, anyway. Do you think that'd make up for the possible heat issue in ebay headers/uppipe?
Cheaply constructed headers would likely crack if heat wrapped.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

Alrighty then. Looks like I'll just be wrapping the stock pipes. :P
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

Or just leave the stock heat shields on em
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

Just some more photos to make people happy... maybe.

Stole PhyrraM's mounting location... I think. Just ordered a custom set of wires for it.
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Are those the JDM BD/BG rims? Let's see pics of them on the car!
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

asc_up wrote:Are those the JDM BD/BG rims? Let's see pics of them on the car!
That they are! Cost me $243 shipped without tires from a guy in Texas. Running Toyo Proxes 4 215/45/17 at the moment.

Here are a couple photos from the day I had them mounted:

And here's a photoshop of how the car looked after some slight changes:

Can't wait to get her back together!
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Looks awesome!
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Those are my favorite subaru wheels damnit! $243 shipped? WTF?! Last time I saw a set they were $800 and I'm not sure if that included shipping or not.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
joeWM
Second Gear

Post by joeWM »

keystone! i stock that haha
[quote="kimokalihi"]Jesus, that's a grocery list of problems.[/quote]
92 Legacy SS 5MT....sold :(
02 Aspen white WRX Stage 2, 20%tint
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Fkyx wrote:And here's a photoshop of how the car looked after some slight changes:
Is that like one of those 'find all of the differences' games?
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

Something like that.
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

So today I decided to take the plugs out of the old engine...

Dear lord... I guess I can expect to see some carnage in the #1 cylinder. There are aluminum flakes matching those found at the hot end of the turbo... soooooo... I think it's safe to assume this is where they came from. The other 3 plugs look okay.
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

Something very cool arrived today... or should I say somethings: