'94 SS Daily Driver

Show us your Legacy pictures and videos.

Moderator: Moderators

Alphius
Fourth Gear

Re: '94 SS Daily Driver

Post by Alphius »

Ha, I just assumed you meant the WRX wheels. :lol:

The steering wheel needs a roll connector from a newer Subaru which just plugs in to the under dash harness. Mine was from a '98 Outback. My original cruise switch wouldn't work easily, so I used the WRX cruise switch which did work. The horn is a simple plug-in deal and it works. The airbag does not work since the firing system is completely different, so I had to block off the "AIRBAG" warning on the cluster. I pulled up the fascia and stuck a piece of electrical tape over the airbag light from the back so you can't see it and it blocks the light perfectly.

The steering wheel makes a big difference in how the car feels to drive, it's just so much nicer than the stock wheel.
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

Was stumbling around the search looking for cars with painted rims and found your car. Then I realized I have the older version of your car :wink: . Also think it was your car that made me want to get the Yakima rack and fairing. Love the color you have on the wheels, what color is that if you don't mind.

well here is picture of mine, not as nice as yours but its a work in progress of course.

and in regards to the manual crank, I have a 89 and it doesnt have manual windows but then again that might be because its an LS.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Mine actually has the stock color rims from an '05 WRX. Subaru calls the color "Bronze". They are a slightly different design than the 02-03 WRX wheels, but still a 10-spoke 16x6.5 wheel.

The manual crank windows were on a base model Legacy with silver painted steel wheels, it didn't have A/C or power locks or even painted bumpers! It was an interesting looking car. It was a 5 speed FWD.

Thanks for the kind words! I enjoy your Rio Red SS a lot. My '91 SS was Rio Red as well, but it didn't look nearly as nice as yours! :-)

Here's mine:
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

No problem, and thank you as well. Is your car considered Rio Red or is it Ruby Mica or something lik that?
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Yeah, the one I have now is "Crimson Pearl". It was a one year option in '94 only. Lighter than Winestone, darker than Rio Red. Not quite the same as Ruby Mica, but kind of similar.
Thesubielover
Third Gear

Post by Thesubielover »

Was your dad up to paint there stuff? I was wondering because my hood scoop and spoiler need it too. Not badly but will need to be done at some point. What is the trick to blacking out the trim? Electrical tape and an exacto knife?
93ss 3inch tbe, Hallman mbc,06 wrx td04, tmic, bov, bugeye seatsStolen x2, sold
93ss Stroker,440cc inj, VF39, '06 TMIC, EJ20G heads & intake, EJ25 crank, 4.11Traded
93ss 4eat, coils, stanced, wraped, flat black, stock show car
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

My dad's painting is out of commission for a while now since they're in the process of buying a new house and selling the old one.

The trim can be blacked out with electrical tape, mine is holding up fairly but there's a couple sections I need to redo. My only advice would be to use the best electrical tape you can get, like 3M brand or equivalent. Cheap .99c electrical tape won't hold up for more than a few weeks.
Thesubielover
Third Gear

Post by Thesubielover »

How do you set it up? Put it on and cut off in the deep line sections of the trim with an exacto knife? Or just use the whole width of the tape?
93ss Stroker,440cc inj, VF39, '06 TMIC, EJ20G heads & intake, EJ25 crank, 4.11Traded
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

I used the whole width. It is unnoticeable unless you look really closely. I experimented with cutting with an x-acto knife but it didn't work very well; some silver always shone through after a few minutes. The tape seems to contract a little when you put it on.
KristjanJohann
First Gear

Post by KristjanJohann »

OMG! I love it. I'd love to get my hand on a Turbo Legacy :D Only once I've seen one with my bare eyes.
Subaru Legacy GX '97 [BG]
Subaru Legacy GX 2.2 Turbo '91 [BF7]
Subaru Leone GLX '86 [AC5] Getting EJ22T
Suzuki GSX-R 750 '90
Mazda 626 '81

Subaru Legacy GT '97 [BK6] Sold
Subaru Forester '00 [SF] Sold
and maaany moooore :D

http://www.flickr.com/kristjanjohann
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Thank you for the compliment! A Turbo Legacy must be a rare car in your country.
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

I bought a set of factory shifter bushings when I bought the car over a year ago.

I finally replaced them a couple weeks ago. Holy crap! The shifter feel is so much more direct now! It doesn't feel rubbery anymore, and almost all of the play is completely gone. What little play there is left is from the shift forks inside the transmission. In short, if you don't want to pay for a knuckle and newer shifter from another car, just replace the factory bushings and your driving experience will be very much enhanced.

I didn't even have any trouble with the rollpins on the linkage. A nice set of appropriately sized stainless steel punches took care of them very easily.

A++ mod would do again.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Alphius wrote:A++ mod would do again.

"Like"

:D
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

I put on some nicer body parts the other day. Fixed up my loose door handle. Took the pinstripes off. Then I washed it all up. I also ordered a keyless entry/alarm system that I'll be installing in the next couple weeks. The car is looking really good! I think tinted windows are in the cards soon as well.

I also wanted to show my 5-channel amp setup that powers all 4 Kicker surround speakers and a small Memphis sub in a sealed box in the trunk. It all runs off of my Pioneer headunit. I installed all this a few months ago and it still sounds great. Much better than running the speakers off of the headunit, even though it is a good quality headunit it just can't compare. I tried to install everything very cleanly as well, I think I succeeded.

SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

Looks really good, I did the same thing with a 10 disk changer. I was also suprised by how much better the shifting felt after replacing the bushing. I agree on the tint, makes the color pop more in my opinion.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
randomiam
Second Gear

Post by randomiam »

Looks great. Pretty swell ride you have. I'm certainly jealous.

I like the corrugated casing you use for the wiring..
Subaru-less
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Looks good! Second the tint.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Thesubielover
Third Gear

Post by Thesubielover »

I like it! Looking great. Where did you find the wheels? Did you sell the old ones?
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

On the stereo wiring, the corrugated tubing really does clean it all up. When the seatback is up, the bare wiring right at the plugs is hidden by the small sub box which is carpet-matched to the factory trunk carpet. From the seatback, all the wiring runs under the rear seat cushions and up to the stereo and battery completely hidden of course.

The wheels are the same ones I've had on the car since I bought it. 2005 WRX wheels in factory bronze. For a day or two I had a set of 2006 WRX 17" wheels on there but I didn't really like them so switched back. The bronze color goes really well with the crimson pearl.

Thanks guys! It really photographs better than it looks in person, but I try to keep it nice enough. :) I installed the alarm the other day and finally having keyless entry again is awesome! Hopefully I'll be making a tint appointment for next week, I have a day off coming up and would love to get this thing tinted. I'm gonna go for 20% all around I think.
Thesubielover
Third Gear

Post by Thesubielover »

Still have the other wheels? ;)
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

No, I got rid of them a while back.
Subi-swap94
In Neutral

Post by Subi-swap94 »

Alphius- how did you change your grill like that?
or did you buy the car like that?
Current Cars

'94 Legacy SS - EJ20G VF22, 5MT
'70 Ford Maverick - 302 small block, C6 AT
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

I cut the factory grill out until it was just the outer frame, then I used plastic epoxy to fill in the holes left by the crossbar and it's supports. I then took a piece of gutter guard mesh and epoxied it to the grill after trimming to shape. After all that, I masked off the colored part of the grill and hit the mesh and black plastic with flat black engine enamel. It's like the rest of the car, looks good from 5 feet back but you can see what I did when you get close since I didn't sand the epoxy enough. ;)

I think the grill mod really made the front of the car look better, especially in combination with the EDM glass headlights.
Dominator
First Gear

Post by Dominator »

Your car is looking really nice. I want to do most of the mods you've done. :)

I'm still on the hunt for an intermittent wiper stalk. I hope it's compatible with the 91's, I read what Kimo was saying about it, and maybe that's something.... We'll see.

On a different note, regarding the manual crank windows. I saw a car with them today. Was at an auction, it was a 91 Wagon, no ABS, no A/C, Crank windows, Automatic. Was AWD too. Very low-end base model.

VIN: 4S4BJ63C2M7904004
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »